Through his greatness and understanding ones journey becomes Gods will

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C28-TqV-K0Q
MBTI: INTP

R2D2 - ISTJ
Cacao is online
Old 01-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Member [44%]
MBTI: INTJ

Could see C3PO as an Si dom for sure but R2 is always trying to do new things and lives for adventure,they would have to have opposite driving forces.

Anakin is ISFP and Vader is ENTJ, list is pretty goood
Old 01-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
davai
Core Member [248%]
MBTI: xxxx

A few corrections

Leia -ESTJ
Han - ESTP
Yoda - INTP

Anakin in the newer movies is an ENFP i think.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Polymath20
Core Member [717%]
MBTI: ENTP

Qui-gon Jinn INTJ? Fuck no!

1) He's warmly concerned about other beings, hence why he brings Jar Jar and Anakin along. Clearly an Fe user.

2) He trusts his intuition when he sees patterns and bigger plots at work. Clearly an Ne user.

That leaves us with Ti and Si. Ne/Fe/Ti/Si. So now it's just a matter of order.

He makes decisions and judgements based on how he feels about things, therefore I'd say he's an FJ (Fe dominant)

Fe/Si/Ne/Ti = ESFJ

Si draws from experience and wisdom - things which Qui-Gon is respected for. He's also known for being random and making decisions rashly, which would be the fully developed Ne in his tertiary function.

When push comes to shove, he will think through everything he knows and sees. Goals and purpose are important to him which is reflective of the inferior Ti.
Polymath20 is online
Old 01-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
Member [44%]

Originally Posted by Polymath20
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Qui-gon Jinn INTJ? Fuck no!

1) He's warmly concerned about other beings, hence why he brings Jar Jar and Anakin along. Clearly an Fe user.

2) He trusts his intuition when he sees patterns and bigger plots at work. Clearly an Ne user.

That leaves us with Ti and Si. Ne/Fe/Ti/Si. So now it's just a matter of order.

He makes decisions and judgements based on how he feels about things, therefore I'd say he's an FJ (Fe dominant)

Fe/Si/Ne/Ti = ESFJ

Si draws from experience and wisdom - things which Qui-Gon is respected for. He's also known for being random and making decisions rashly, which would be the fully developed Ne in his tertiary function.

When push comes to shove, he will think through everything he knows and sees. Goals and purpose are important to him which is reflective of the inferior Ti.

Awesome method of typing, i had an issue with him being INTJ as well but didn't want to get into it because i'd have to look for evidence

Old 01-16-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
stopwinking
Member [29%]

Jar Jar?
Old 01-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
Polymath20
Core Member [717%]
MBTI: ENTP

Originally Posted by 9272
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Awesome method of typing, i had an issue with him being INTJ as well but didn't want to get into it because i'd have to look for evidence

Thanks! I could very well be wrong though, as often there are multiple ways the functions can express themselves.

I'm extremely confident about the Fe use. Obi Wan actually criticizes Qui-gon for not being focused on the mission enough because of his attention to "pathetic life forms". Qui-gon's character in the books is extremely focused on helping anywhere he can. He's really got a big soft heart.

Obi-Wan is also frustrated with Qui-gon constantly bending the rules, doing things rashly, making fast decisions and generally "looking before he leaps". This almost made me peg Qui-gon as an Ne dominant. It should be noted that my type, the ENTP, shares all the same functions as the ESFJ, they are simply in different orders. However, Qui-gon is old enough that even as an ESFJ, his Ne will be developed to allow him to commit to spontaneous decisions. Since he also draws from his wisdom and experience (evidence of Si use) to make good decisions even if they appear to be rash to others.

Also, evidence that the Fe is dominant in Qui-gon is how he quickly and openly expresses his anger and frustration, particularly with Jar Jar. "What are you? Brainless?" and "The ability to speak does not make you intelligent". Fe doms have a very hard time hiding their frustration, whereas an Ne dom is more likely to keep their judgements to themselves and bring it up later.

---------- Post added 01-16-2013 at 02:34 PM ----------

Originally Posted by stopwinking
Jar Jar?

Well, Jar Jar isn't human and if ever there was a character that seemed like a caricature it would be Jar Jar. However, I'll give it a shot.

Jar Jar is NOT an Si user. While he is happy to go home, he's more focused on where he is. He has no problem adapting to life on the go, on Coruscant or anywhere really. An Si user will prefer to stay close to home. Therefore he's an Se user.

For the judging functions, I'm leaning towards a Te/Fi combo. He is keenly aware of how people around him feel, but he seems to be a very self-determined character. He finds meaning and purpose later in life by becoming a representative of his people. Then, during the submarine scene, when someone says "We're not in trouble yet." JarJar explodes "Whaddya mean we're not in trouble??? Monsters out there! Leaking in here!" - he immediately points to empirical, objective facts to justify his assertion. This also leads me to believe that he's not an Ne user. An Ne user would be more likely to say something like "Well, this is a situation." but is more focused on trying things to get out of the situation, rather than making a judgement about it.

So that leaves us with Se/Fi/Te/Ni

ESFP?

I won't stand behind that answer. Jar Jar isn't a real enough character for me to make any assertions.

Polymath20 is online
Old 01-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #9
surplusmagic
New Member [01%]

MBTI: INTP

Han Solo.....definitely ISTP
Old 01-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
stopwinking
Member [29%]

Originally Posted by Polymath20

---------- Post added 01-16-2013 at 02:34 PM ----------

Well, Jar Jar isn't human and if ever there was a character that seemed like a caricature it would be Jar Jar. However, I'll give it a shot.

So that leaves us with Se/Fi/Te/Ni

ESFP?

I won't stand behind that answer. Jar Jar isn't a real enough character for me to make any assertions.

So great.
In entirety (I hate quoting an entire post), one of the best assessments I've seen on forum.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Member [44%]

Yea i thought jar jar would be easily stereotyped that way for sure, so easy it could be offensive
Old 01-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #12
GoldBoost
Veteran Member [55%]
MBTI: ENXP

Originally Posted by Cacao
R2D2 - ISTJ

R2 is defo some kind of E. He's an excited little bundle of joy.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #13
stopwinking
Member [29%]

Yea i thought jar jar would be easily stereotyped that way for sure, so easy it could be offensive

So, we're all ignoring that C3PO is usually regarded as a gay British butler?
The stiff,emotionless and fearful 'white middle-class male'.

Stereotypes are for fictional characters.
Where observers take those general stereotypes shows their racism.
Racism goes both ways between all races and both outward and inward within an individual.

I never saw JarJar as a 'stupid,scared black person'.

I have heard that R2D2 was meant to appeal to kids as their connected character (before the Ewoks-who were more to be the kids' pets, not the kids themselves)

Also, if ESFP is a stereotype for JarJar, what about actual people who are ESFP? Why is it stereotyping if it fits the character pattern?
There is nothing wrong with being ESFP and I do not think it is obvious JarJar is ESFP.

Part of why that was a well written assessment of a difficult character.

Actually, the fact he is considered such a cartoon is why I thought it'd be fun and maybe interesting to try to investigate a seemingly shallow and unnatural character that was arguably poorly written/a lesser character with less to go by....although no less than a lot of the characters listed in the thread.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #14
Member [44%]

I never equated the characters with either racial or national stereotypes, though i did hear that someone was suing because they thought Jar jar talked with a bad patois accent.

R2 i can see as close the opposite of 3PO who is probably ISFJ

Also, if ESFP is a stereotype for JarJar, what about actual people who are ESFP? Why is it stereotyping if it fits the character pattern?
There is nothing wrong with being ESFP and I do not think it is obvious JarJar is ESFP

Looking at the way a ton of characters are typed i really thought he fit in with the stereotype. And sure some ESFPs fit in with the stereotypes, but some are the polar opposite and alot of factors have to be considered. In both fiction and in real life people can actually reverse their functions if acting in an unhealthy way, a perfect example i think is anakin ISFP and his transformation to vader ENTJ.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #15
davai
Core Member [248%]

i think is anakin ISFP and his transformation to vader ENTJ.

Interesting. I think he does reverse, but from ENFP to ISTJ.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #16
Zeigzalar
New Member [01%]

Originally Posted by davai

Seconded. He made extensive use of
throughout his tenure as a Dark Lord of the Sith. Even though it was necessary for him to spend time in these to survive sans helmet, I'm sure there could have been more 'extraverted' alternatives.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #17
ooo
Member [09%]
No hallowed skein of stars can ward, I trow, Who's once been set his tryst with Trystero.

Originally Posted by Avalonlord
Han solo

Se, Ti, Fe, Ni -- ESTP.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #18
Member [44%]

Well as anakin he trusts in impulse,wants to make an impact, is concrete, and excitable. Struggles with establishing order and structure(Te inferior) in order to get things done when he's stressed. Fi makes an appearance as ultimately he does everything he does because of his love for Padme, which is manipulated by Palpatine.

Also a strong level of Fi is shown in the rage he goes into when discovering that his mother has been slain, and again this is manipulated by palpatine in forming new modifications to already strong emotional ideals, as this is primarily how anakin works.His preoccupation is with technique and not morale, as he doesn't believe he can allow palpatine to die in order to discover the technique(Se) which will allow him to keep padme from dying(Fi). Not to mention that Ni can work visually through dreams, which is where he gets the idea that padme is going to die in the first place, manipulated by the Ni dominant sidious.

As Vader he is now completely in the grip of his normally inferior function, so that it appears to become his dominant, but the struggle is evident whenever he is confronted by luke, and ultimately rediscovers his true type through Fi when he saves luke from the emperor who had been manipulating him all along. Vader is the face of the empire while palpatine is behind the scenes which is a typical ENTJ vs INTJ role respectively in this kind of organization.

The argument that he was using secluded chambers doesn't make sense, as it was noted that he needed to use these in order to survive and it would have been bad strategy to allow access to them in order to APPEAR extroverted. Also his intelligence is based on strategy and there is no evidence of strong logistical intelligence, nor is there any need to be respected so much as feared and real-life ISTJ's can pass for extroverts because there is a strong drive in SJ's to be sociable as opposed to the strong drive in rationals to be autonomous,ingenious and resolute.

When confronted about his past as anakin he is cynical(SP) but accepts his place as vader when returning to calm(rational, also a strong reference to Fi struggle here) and knows that it was necessary to become what he is(relativism=NT)

Old 01-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #19
Causa Mortis
Core Member [159%]
Macro...MACRO!

The story, as its told, is a natural ENFP who goes mad and retreats to his shadow, the INTJ.

I do not know how anyone could think Vader is an ISTJ - he kills his boss.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
Member [44%]

INTJ is not ENFP shadow....

I guess if that was what the author himself said i'd have to accept it, but i can't do that otherwise for reasons stated above and more
Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #21
Avalonlord
New Member [01%]

Jar Jar Binks ISFJ
Old 01-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #22
davai
Core Member [248%]

Fi makes an appearance as ultimately he does everything he does because of his love for Padme, which is manipulated by Palpatine.

Sounds more like a Fe thing, but ultimately i'm not crazy about defining it over of someone's love for somebody.

His preoccupation is with technique and not morale, as he doesn't believe he can allow palpatine to die in order to discover the technique(Se)

Morale? You mean, morals?

which will allow him to keep padme from dying(Fi).

Only Fi types want to people to stay alive?

Not to mention that Ni can work visually through dreams, which is where he gets the idea that padme is going to die in the first place, manipulated by the Ni dominant sidious.

TBH i think it's easier to go by dichotomies rather than making tenuous associations between certain behaviours and functions.

Originally Posted by Causa Mortis
I do not know how anyone could think Vader is an ISTJ - he kills his boss.

He was doing the right thing in the end. I think any type is capable of killing if it's deemed necessary.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #23
Member [44%]

Sounds more like a Fe thing, but ultimately i'm not crazy about defining it over of someone's love for somebody.

If he does everything because of his feelings then it would follow that his feeling would be the dominant function...i'm pretty sure he doesn't appear to be dominant Fe? how exactly does Ne make any kind of appearance at all? It's not Fe because he's not doing everything to make everyone else happy when he's healthy or at best he'd be ESFJ or ISFJ, which you didn't mention. Fi is about intensity of feeling with a SPECIFIC group or SPECIFIC people.

"Reality, however, reveals in most cases that this ideal is not attained, and introverted feeling is particularly vulnerable in regard to such experiences. This vulnerability — which may become as intense at that of the sensitive plant — is one of the most characteristic peculiarities of this type."

In childhood they are gentle and dreamy, and somewhat reserved, but with occasional violent outbursts of emotion.

In familiar surroundings they can be unrestrainedly gay; but more often they are likely to exhibit violent resentment if circumstances do not correspond to their feelings,

As a result, they seem to show signs of disappointment at a very early age, and a certain distrust of life.

"I sense much fear in you"

Owing to their inability to express themselves clearly, and to bring their ideals to reality, there may arise a feeling of impotence and inferiority.

"Obi-wan is holding me back!"

Here, also, feelings have a tendency to extend their influence, with the result that their whole being may be plunged into depths of unhappiness; but at other times a genuine emotional contact with someone will once more fill them with a quiet and enormous delight.

Crazy obvious when he becomes Darth vader and suddenly shows the beginning of warmth at the discovery of luke.

Now they will look at the world again with new eyes, and a feeling that is almost religious will embrace both nature and man.

Later, also, the happiness of these people will depend on the emotional attachments which they are able to make

"Save padme, i can't live without her"

Their activity frequently suffers as a result of moods of discouragement. When this is so, they lose themselves in pessimistic feelings, giving up their efforts to make themselves better understood, or to alter things in their environment. After a time they recover from such moods, since they tend, as a rule, to regard them as a fault in themselves.

When he catches padme in his force grip

It is impossible for these people to see the world or themselves objectively, and their continual comparison of things with ideal requirements gives them an exaggeratedly critical point of view.

Evident when Obi-wan tries to reason with anakin about what he's doing.

In their thought-processes, they argue from preconceived attitudes of feeling, and frequently do not embark on any logical thinking at all, leaving the realm of logic to others to deal with.

Morale? You mean, morals?

No.

Only Fi types want to people to stay alive?

Show me what definition of the functions you are going by.

TBH i think it's easier to go by dichotomies rather than making tenuous associations between certain behaviours and functions.

It's not easier, it's more favorable for you perhaps, but i'm having no trouble finding examples for what i'm saying.

He was doing the right thing in the end.

Why was he doing it? What lead him to come to the conclusion that this was the right thing to do? How could this decision have been influenced by inferior Ne?

Old 01-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #24
stopwinking
Member [29%]

I never equated the characters with either racial or national stereotypes, though i did hear that someone was suing because they thought Jar jar talked with a bad patois accent.

R2 i can see as close the opposite of 3PO who is probably ISFJ

Looking at the way a ton of characters are typed i really thought he fit in with the stereotype. And sure some ESFPs fit in with the stereotypes, but some are the polar opposite and alot of factors have to be considered. In both fiction and in real life people can actually reverse their functions if acting in an unhealthy way, a perfect example i think is anakin ISFP and his transformation to vader ENTJ.

Yes.
I can see how others saw Jarjar that way, if they werre reaching but even if he were based on a specific ethnicity/mix of ethnicities, so is every fictional character,if studied, correct ?

<not to anyone on forum
A character based on two white guys is still based on one or more specific ethnicities/nationalities if that is what I am looking for.

I agree about trying to type the functions...I wrote on forum recently about how the letters confuse me as to what are the dominant functions of the lettered types.
When I see for instance, ENTJ,I think:
ENTJ would mean Extroverted Intuition,Extroverted Thinking, Judging,Possible Si since it's not the E...It's just my immediate way my brain reads the lettering- to think the pertinent functions would be the ones represented by the letters and what's left out would be inferior or Introverted... which is all of course, wrong.
I have to remind myself of the code rules pretty much every time which still doesn't help with half of the letterings...there's something about extroverted functions are always paired with introverted...
I agree that any type can be stereotyped.
I still read the original reply as meaning "ESFP's are easy to see as a cartoon character but this is not necessarily true"- meaning also further that
they're loud and simplistic to most assessors.
I don't see a problem with that if it is true of that person.

In another thread, where it seems to me a person is obviously an ENTP,he could fit some specific cliches of an ESFP but I just saw 'ENTP' (actually I saw the functions and had to look up the order of the lettering that fit what I was seeing).
I have written before, closer to when I joined INTJf about what shadow functions mean and how they manifest and, of course, i still write that we have everything represented by all the functions in us because we are all human.
I don't think it's explained away by the 'different combinations can create the same outcome' explanation.
That's just obvious most natural outcome for that person, most obvious and within the standard basis of the individual but not the whole sum of the person.

I respect most noted people typed on professional sites as ESFP and other types...I even think I relate to them until I read more about manifestations of type and what the functions and their orders are meant to explain about pathology and brain functions.

AND Again:
whether or not it is worth arguing over the correct typing of a fictional or real persona,the reply @Polymath20 was still well written, succinct and interesting.Whether or not JarJar even has an MBTI type.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #25
peter
Member [39%]

I need to give this some serious thought.