Speech Patterns In Psychopaths language, psychological disorders
Old 10-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
Senseofrelief
Banned

MBTI: INTJ

The INTJs should get a kick out of this.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Distance
Core Member [715%]
Gut shoddy
MBTI: eNTj

Ummm...I think that...ummm...they're stretching...ummm..this a lot.

Most introverts have hesitancy in their speech since they're invariably thinking their way through a conversation. Can't imagine the sheer number of false positives this type of psychological generalisation might cause.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
ManWithNoName
Core Member [315%]

Seems to just describe Te oriented thought and speech in general.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
Senseofrelief
Banned

Umm. I get ahhh..um...what you mean...errr...yeah...well....um....let me think about that....lol.....
Old 10-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
JC22
Core Member [147%]
Pulvis es et in pulverem reverteris.
MBTI: XXXX

Hmm..

...guys I think I'm gonna have to postpone that INTJ party....
Old 10-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
MyotisLucifugus
Member [17%]

Psychopaths: 1% of the population.
Female INTJs: 1% of the population.

Coincidence?

Time to come paint the town with me, girlfriends.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Originally Posted by JC22
Hmm..

...guys I think I'm gonna have to postpone that INTJ party....

No, no. It will be fine. Everything will go smoothly. Trust me.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
sircockburn
Veteran Member [88%]
grrrrrr!
MBTI: ENTP

Uh I read that, and um, I'm going to drink some alcohol because that's all horsecocky.

I think they're just describing ISTx types in general.

Frankly, I'd think the real psychopaths would be the opposite: with their jail time, they can spend all their time formulating beautiful, articulate, polished answers to any question that could be directed at them - with content reflective of traditionally appropriate/lauded human values, such as family/spirituality.

And also, anyone with any common sense at all would slant all their answwers to highlight their "pure" motives, and tinge them with an emotion more "understandable" than malice/thrills. Not highlight the acts themselves, which in and of themselves would be considered appalling. By focusing more on the "why" than the "how", you can get the listeners to kind of relate to you (if you do it right) and maybe judge you as a human who "made a mistake" rather than some asshole.

Particularly if the prisoner in question has any chance of parole/early release for good behavior. They'd want to position themselves as "human" in any situation possible, or even just to garner less contempt.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
benr3600
Member [28%]

Yeah it's a known fact that psychopaths get out of prison earlier than average on "good" behavior. Behavior which changes immediately once released, in most cases. I find it hard to believe they'd just allow themselves to voluntarily throw out red flags such as in their speech, but who knows, they are known for toying with others due to their grand arrogance. The only real "speech patterns" that they have, AFAIK, are a near-constant barrage of hypocritical/inconsistent things said, a byproduct of just spewing out whatever bullshit will get them through their current objective. They "throw in just enough truth to make the bullshit believable," according to Dr. Hare's book. Should give Te users quite the advantage in spotting this behavior.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #9
Nemesis
Core Member [381%]
MBTI: XXXX

Originally Posted by Distance
Can't imagine the sheer number of false positives this type of psychological generalisation might cause.

This is my first impression, as well.

There was no mention of them controlling for other conditions that would effect speech production. Without that, they really don't have a solid case. There's also the problem of working with people who share a very small environment. People tend to pick up speech patterns from one another, so the effect they saw may simply have been an artifact of this being overrepresented in thier sample.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:28 PM   #10
Zsych
Core Member [468%]
MBTI: XNTX

Strong Te users do often prioritize emotional needs below other things so its not necessarily wrong from the perspective of people who maintain society through emotional binding to find that strong Te users are a greater risk (might well be)... also more useful than many other types
Old 10-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #11
Dysphoriac
Member [04%]

They have a link somewhere to a website tool that rates your level of psychopathy, sounds like a scam to get some free results to me.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:09 AM   #12
Erebos
Member [02%]

Haven't read whole article. but that "speech gives them away" is just stupid. Psychopaths can easily manipulate people and it's not that hard for them to "apply" different speech pattern.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:50 AM   #13
nacht
Core Member [141%]
"A group of INTJs is an argument."

I know someone who worked on this a few years ago as part of his master's thesis.

The research, as is normal with virtually all scientific research, comes with a list of caveats that did not make it into the public press.

1) This is about identifying specifically psychopathy. Not merely milder forms or ASPD.

2) The research is designed to work only for people who have committed a violent crime. The test that people are seeing and taking is only officially administered if you have committed a violent crime. These tools are designed to be post hoc explanatory, not predictive except within a very limited scope (e.g., for parole boards).

3) The speech patterns detected are not of the form "wait! I do this one little thing here with verbal pauses! that totally counts!" More that is one of a long list of factors, and in isolation means pretty much nothing.

4) They do want to expand the tool to make it useful in a more generalized population, but they are a long way from doing that.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:10 AM   #14
Sethis
Member [23%]
MBTI: iNTj

So rational and possibly shy people are probably also criminals? Lame...

I heard that psychopaths drink water too. Wait...that means I'm one of them! Crap!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #15
Fox
Member [48%]

They also found more dysfluencies — the "uhs" and "ums" that interrupt speech — among psychopaths.

I use those like um like the um time.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #16
Zsych
Core Member [468%]
MBTI: XNTX

Originally Posted by Erebos
Haven't read whole article. but that "speech gives them away" is just stupid. Psychopaths can easily manipulate people and it's not that hard for them to "apply" different speech pattern.

You can't fix what you don't previously know is broken. It generally hasn't hurt them in the past, and it won't require change unless a large number of people are known to think this way .. and they see themselves as psychopaths that need to hide that tendency.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #17
Autumnleaf
Core Member [292%]

Umms annoy the hell out of me. Now I know why. Damned psychos.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:00 PM   #18
benr3600
Member [28%]

Originally Posted by Sethis
So rational and possibly shy people are probably also criminals? Lame...

I heard that psychopaths drink water too. Wait...that means I'm one of them! Crap!

I'd say there is a strong correlation between nonpsychopathic convicts and xSTP. Remember, only a fraction of violent offenders are actually psychopaths. Psychopaths are almost exclusively rationals, but the majority of them are actually extraverts.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #19
nacht
Core Member [141%]

Originally Posted by Fox
I use those like um like the um time.

Everyone in the study used a great many verbal pauses when talking about the murder.

Psychopaths used it twice as much.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #20
benr3600
Member [28%]

Originally Posted by nacht
Everyone in the study used a great many verbal pauses when talking about the murder.

I'd say this is a fairly valid indicator. Probably the result of making it up as they go along, for various reasons already mentioned.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #21
Karatekel
Member [04%]

Everyone who uses "uh" or "umm" (which is everyone on the planet) is now going to be accused of being a psychopath.

Also, I dislike the author's attitude. It's as if he/she thinks that being a psychopath in and of itself is a crime. Last I checked, there is no law that says "Thou shalt not be a psychopath."
Old 10-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #22
nacht
Core Member [141%]

Originally Posted by Karatekel
Everyone who uses "uh" or "umm" (which is everyone on the planet) is now going to be accused of being a psychopath.

Did you even glance sideways at the research?

Also, I dislike the author's attitude. It's as if he/she thinks that being a psychopath in and of itself is a crime. Last I checked, there is no law that says "Thou shalt not be a psychopath."

You do realize that the study was specifically conducted on murderers, right?

Old 10-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #23
Hania
New Member [01%]

Originally Posted by MyotisLucifugus
Psychopaths: 1% of the population.
Female INTJs: 1% of the population.

Coincidence?

Time to come paint the town with me, girlfriends.

No, no. It will be fine. Everything will go smoothly. Trust me.

We're 1% of the population? Wow~! Now that's worth celebrating!

Old 10-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #24
lamplighter
Veteran Member [70%]
This is all Joker's fault! What a tool he was! Now I have to spend all day computing pi because he plugged in the Overlord!

It said nothing about ratios in use other than that "They used it more". What is more exactly? I don't think anyone uses "umm" and "uhh" at the same rate as the next person.

Originally Posted by msn.com - Vitals - How to spot psychopaths: Speech patterns give them away
They also found more dysfluencies the "uhs" and "ums" that interrupt speech among psychopaths. Nearly universal in speech, dysfluencies indicate that the speaker needs some time to think about what they are saying.

Did you even glance sideways at the research?

You do realize that the study was specifically conducted on murderers, right?

Did you read the whole thing thoroughly? Because all I saw really were bunch of vague generalizations that could easily be applied to virtually anyone, especially if you take anything they say out of context. Personally this whole thing reeks of witch hunt to me. To try to pin future murders on some unsuspecting schmuck, so police can say "case closed", pat themselves on the back, and feign like they actually did something instead of doing qualitative research on a case.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #25
Aronnax
Core Member [105%]

This article in a nutshell:

Tags
language, psychological disorders