Are INTJs really as rare as statistics claim? None
Old 06-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
sms444
Member [13%]

MBTI: INTJ

I don't have any science to support this topic, but would like to see some modern studies discussing the true rarity of INTJs. I have several INTJ friends, and the population of INTJs on this forum alone is staggering, especially considering that the people here must only represent a small percentage of INTJs throughout the world.

What do you think?

Old 06-24-2011, 10:41 PM   #2
stealthfighter
Core Member [112%]

I think one of the primary reasons as to why it's difficult to gauge an approximate number of INTJs has something to do with their (our) general reclusiveness. It's basically hard to identify INTJs because you'll have to know them personally to find out if they are. E-type personalities on the other hand are easier to identify because their extroversion would mean you're likely to see and meet them more often as it makes them more visible. Granted such premise, I do believe that there may be more INTJs out there than the general estimate, it's just that introversion itself makes it hard for them to be noted unless one would really pay attention to their manner of social relations.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
Malkavia
Core Member [336%]
MBTI: XXXX

Statistics on MBTI types are all over the place. People have showed me articles that claim my type is as rare as .5% and as common as 9%.

INTJs are definitely one of the rarer types, but I dont think its possible to know the exact percentage.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
benr3600
Member [28%]

I polled another forum I'm on (was the 7th largest forum on the internet) and over 15% ended up INTJ. Rationals period were VERY over-represented, compared to their estimated prevalence in society. In fact, I think ESFP was the least populous.

My theory? We are very common on the internets, where we hide from the world of irrationals.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
juju817
New Member [01%]

I have a good amount of INTJ's friends as well but that doesn't mean anything on the grand scale. I do think we are on the lower echelon of the totem poll. But not as seldom as the the approximate number shows.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
Autumnleaf
Core Member [292%]

I think we are common on the net and in IT fields. So we seem common to some of us and rare to others. Its a rare treat at work if I get to work with an NT let alone an INTJ.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #7
TheStranger
Suspended

MBTI: xnxx

I think a better question would be are INTJs in general worth it once you've actually found a genuine one? I've never met an INTJ in real life that claimed to be one. I've met obviously very educated people, and I could've made assumptions, but I make an extremely conscious effort not to, although I'm sure there have been many failings on that front.

Although I've met my fair share of those that would probably fit the profile of the INTJ.
TheStranger is online
Old 06-25-2011, 12:27 AM   #8
envirodude
Core Member [145%]
What makes the desert beautiful, said the little prince, is that somewhere it hides a well.
MBTI: INTx

I've had this exact thought. However, I agree with those above who suggest the INTJ will be over represented on internet fora, and also point out that we are more likely to be drawn to the same kinds of careers as other INTJs. Finally, for friends, we tend to like people who think like we do. So I don't think WE can get a good feel for our rarity. It would be nice if the people throwing out stats like 2-3% actually explained their methodology, but they never seem to.

Anyone know of a peer-reviewed paper on MBTI distribution?
Old 06-25-2011, 12:28 AM   #9
Hawkx
Member [09%]

Originally Posted by benr3600
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I polled another forum I'm on (was the 7th largest forum on the internet) and over 15% ended up INTJ. Rationals period were VERY over-represented, compared to their estimated prevalence in society. In fact, I think ESFP was the least populous.

My theory? We are very common on the internets, where we hide from the world of irrationals.

I agree with his statement. We tend to use the Internet more often because its a major source of info. We, as rationals, like to gain knowledge and read a lot.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:51 AM   #10
truegrid
Member [05%]

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I haven't seen from this board that INTJs are any more free of bias than anyone else. In fact, the INTJ knack for understanding systems and talent for logic often leads to a false confidence; many have more faith in their opinions than is due and without requisite contingency if wrong.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:42 AM   #11
Beric
Member [33%]

Originally Posted by Autumnleaf
I think we are common on the net and in IT fields. So we seem common to some of us and rare to others. Its a rare treat at work if I get to work with an NT let alone an INTJ.

At college in marketing, this is true as well. Let's say I get pretty excited if I get to work with an N, let alone an INTJ.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:31 AM   #12
benr3600
Member [28%]

Originally Posted by sms444
I don't have any science to support this topic, but would like to see some modern studies discussing the true rarity of INTJs. I have several INTJ friends, and the population of INTJs on this forum alone is staggering, especially considering that the people here must only represent a small percentage of INTJs throughout the world.

What do you think?

What do I think? Confirmation bias

Old 06-25-2011, 06:59 AM   #13
Yuri
Member [18%]

So far I only know one person who could possibly be an INTJ like me. The rest are all on the internet.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #14
sms444
Member [13%]

What do I think? Confirmation bias

I agree, which is why I would love to see some accurate MBTI studies/statistics!

Old 06-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #15
Humble Bragger
Member [10%]

What do you think?

Why wouldn't an INTJ have many INTJ friends? :P Correction, why wouldn't any type have alot of similar types as friends; what person doesn't gather people around him that are like him? It's just confirmation bias on your part. =3

We're a measly hundred INTJs on this forum lol.

An easy way to see what type is rarest and what is highest is to look on the market. To who are the marketers aiming their products towards?

Old 06-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #16
SarcasticVlad
Core Member [113%]

Are we rare? Not on the internet.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #17
BirdsOfAFeather
Member [11%]

Birds of a feather, flock together...

My friend (ESFJ) is apparently an INTJ magnet. She threw a party recently and I proceeded to MBTI type people (my recent hobby/experiment). There were 5 confirmed INTJs! and and an additional suspected INTJ (who wouldn't submit to The Test). Four of those - myself included - were women. What a surprise!
Old 06-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #18
Kisai
Core Member [433%]
Mad, bad, and dangerous to know.

I have several INTJ friends, and the population of INTJs on this forum alone is staggering

About 20-30% of the INTJs on the forum are mistyped, I roughly estimate.

Kisai is online
Old 06-25-2011, 02:21 PM   #19
BirdsOfAFeather
Member [11%]

What is your basis for that statement? And, do you also think other MBTI types are mistyped to the same degree?
Old 06-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #20
Zsych
Core Member [469%]
MBTI: XNTX

At 1% of the world, there would be almost 67 Million INTJ. You're going to be friends with people you relate to - naturally you should know a few others, among the friends you chose to retain in your life.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #21
Kisai
Core Member [433%]

Originally Posted by BirdsOfAFeather
What is your basis for that statement?

Excellent question.

1) The MBTI isn't a system, but a categorization of personalities. As symmetrical as it is, I find it incredulous that the personalities of 6.7 billion people, can be placed into 16 different boxes. I observe that some people do seem to be able to be typed and some defy categorization. For now I'll postulate that some people have personalities which cannot be typed under MBTI, and trying to push them into one category or another doesn't do them any good.

2) There is a great deal of stereotypes about the categories which is dreadfully common. "Thinkers don't have emotions" is one. "Sensors are boring and stultified" is another. "Those who are NT are smarter than the rest of the population" I hear from those with woefully mediocre intelligence. "Js are willful and stubborn and Ps are lackadasical and carefree". Stereotypes muddle introspection.

3) That frakking 'Mastermind' label from Kiersey. I wish I could switch it out for something more innocuous like 'Societal Critic' or 'Engineer'.

4) There is an assumption by some Ne-ers and Fe-ers that their line of extraverted reasoning is Te-ing. We have "INTJ"s who do nothing but ask questions and sift through ideas, as an ENTP would. We have "INTJ"s who have an extremely high social conscience and tirelessy fight for the ideal of the common person, as an INFJ might.

5) A misunderstood conception of what Ni is and how it operates. How does it work? Empty out your head. Wait for something to pop in. It relies on your subconscious for processing. Is the idea correct? Te will hammer on it and discover if its reliable or not.

6) A misconception of the rarity of the INTJ, which has yet to show any genetic correlation whatsoever. On occassion I hear something like "I'm an INTJ, my parents are INTJs, my family members are all INTJs, my friends are INTJs..."

7) Last but never least, our wonderful ISTJs who type as INTJ because this is INTJ society and conformity is what's expected of them. And if they are square pegs in round holes, they'll happily bevel off their edges and bite their tounges on occassion.

And, do you also think other MBTI types are mistyped to the same degree?

It would be unfair for me to make such a judgement. Most folks who come here are either identifying as INTJ or are interested in them. I would say there is less re-typing of the latter.

Kisai is online
Old 06-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #22
Yuri
Member [18%]

It's really difficult to find people who understand the way you think
Do any of you camouflage as a different type/push yourselves to be more sociable? I try to be more talkative and force myself into social environments sometimes.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #23
Fubudis
Veteran Member [68%]
MBTI: iXTp

Personal experience indicates they're rare, but obviously I have a limited sample.

I'm a heat seeking missile when it comes to finding INTJs, though. At the beginning of college I me this girl through a friend, told her she was an INTJ and that we were going to date. She took the Myers Briggs, scored INTJ, and we dated.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #24
Kisai
Core Member [433%]

Originally Posted by Yuri
It's really difficult to find people who understand the way you think
Do any of you camouflage as a different type/push yourselves to be more sociable? I try to be more talkative and force myself into social environments sometimes.

I push myself, but I'm always spending energy if the group activity is not gaming. It is work to break the ice with new people and at parties I sometimes have a warm-up period where I'm withdrawn, and then I'm talkative.

Kisai is online
Old 06-27-2011, 12:40 AM   #25
TheObserver
Member [10%]
MBTI: INTP

I am very skeptical of the statistics that are posted on the web. As other members have mentioned, they never link to any source. Even if they had a source, it seems unlikely that the study would include the typing of people from every country and that they could possibly find a sample that would accurately reflect the distribution of personalities in each respective country. This of course assumes people can be typed accurately in the first place. The statistics that are posted on personality pages are likely not very reliable and I bet if I looked to see where they got the statistics (assuming they didn't just make them up), I would find that the source was Carl Jung, Isabel Myers Briggs, Katharine Cook Briggs, or someone related. Any study they did on this subject was likely limited. To sum this all up, personality pages are likely not justified when they state that INTJs are 2-5% of the population.