Closed Thread
Scifi minus the story None
Old 01-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
Puffi
Member [02%]

MBTI: INTJ

I've read some scifi, but it turns out I'm never interested in the story, just the ideas the author has about the scifi elements in the book. I'd like to read something that compressed all those ideas into 20 pages and left out the adventure and drama and all that other useless stuff.

So basically what I'm after is the description of things, societies and worlds that don't exist. Any idea where I could find something like this?

Old 01-24-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
Doppelbock
Member [32%]
ERROR: OUT OF BEER

The Usenet newsgroup rec.arts.sf.science has discussions about science ideas for sci-fi. Authors and wannabe authors bounce ideas off of each other and ask each other for advice, all about the science that goes into sci-fi. You would love it.

DB
Old 01-25-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
Ace1337
Member [10%]
MBTI: ENTJ

Do you find yourself always looking for mistakes in a movie, esspecially science fiction?
I have problems with it. I start watching a movie with someone and I'm looking for mistakes like: "Look that guy had perfect white teeth and this is a movie about the cave men" or "He hit her in the face with his foot and she is still fighting like nothing happened, she would be in a coma in real life"
Is this just me or an INTJ trait? :D
Old 01-25-2008, 08:44 AM   #4
Doppelbock
Member [32%]
ERROR: OUT OF BEER

Originally Posted by Ace1337
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Do you find yourself always looking for mistakes in a movie, esspecially science fiction?
I have problems with it. I start watching a movie with someone and I'm looking for mistakes like: "Look that guy had perfect white teeth and this is a movie about the cave men" or "He hit her in the face with his foot and she is still fighting like nothing happened, she would be in a coma in real life"

"Armageddon" would send you into an apoplectic fit.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
Merle
Veteran Member [57%]
nostalgia for infinity
MBTI: INTP

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My dad does this ALL the time... I think it, but don't say it out loud...me and my dad are very similar, but I don't think he's an INTJ...I think he's probably an INFJ..., or even an ENFJ.
edit: I just went to look at the INFJ portrait... he's definately an INFJ! - it could not have described him better lol

Old 01-25-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
dandylion
Member [41%]
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Originally Posted by Puffi
I've read some scifi, but it turns out I'm never interested
So basically what I'm after is the description of things, societies and worlds that don't exist. Any idea where I could find something like this?

This is my favorite site for that kind of thing:

Well, it's the only site I've stumbled upon so far for that kind of thing. Then again, I haven't really made an effort to search for another one. If you go to the The creator also has created fantasy worlds, in case you want to look at those as well. Just go to his home page.

Yep, I'm always on the look out for flaws. It's pretty fun, actually. I turn it into a game...

Closed Thread