INTJ and Facebook social networking
Old 06-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #1
honeybee
New Member [01%]
MBTI: INTJ

As I find this such a great free wheeling forum I'm just wondering how INTJ's find a social networking tool like Facebook

- do you use it and hate it/love it/stalk on it/get obsessive with it ???? Or just ignore it?

I've done all those things. Then I ended up studying what people posted and what people responded to and interacted with them about and experimented from there. Sad to say - when people grizzelled and moaned others responded the most.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Nightwish bob
Member [06%]
Artist credit: Plantman Exe.
(Not my work)
Autobot Prowl

I used to ignore it, then I became slightly obsessed. Now I just read what others put and play Mafia Wars online and occasionally organise gatherings with friends as it's cheaper than texts... I can take it or leave it really but it has it's uses, and it is almost like people watching seeing what others write and do.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
childofprodigy
Member [28%]
MBTI: XNTJ

I just use it to show off my profiles and to conduct social reconnaissance
Old 06-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
Vagrant
Core Member [162%]
Bananaphone. Boop boop boo-doo-ba-doop!

It's useful as a tool for social recon, as mentioned. I don't really know why I keep one except to occasionally show things to friends.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
Amphorian
Core Member [314%]
*grin*
MBTI: ISTP

Nope. I don't have a facebook or myspace. I don't like the social networking scene. So much drama and superficialness. Interesting enough, my mom is on myspace trying to convert people...
Old 06-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
opifex
New Member [01%]

I never have been big on the whole social networking thing... it's always seemed like a big popularity contest. I have tried to use facebook on several occasions, but usually lose interest after a week or two. I guess I just figure people already have enough ways to get in contact with one another.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
intellael
Member [28%]

I have a myspace profile and a facebook. Rarely, do I visit the former. On facebook I am obsessed, for the moment, with farmville. I will not stop until I get a farmhouse. It is the SIMS all over again.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #8
runoverazebra
Core Member [373%]
All I ask for is a tall ship and a star to steer her by.
MBTI: INxJ

I have a facebook profile. I use facebook often. I no longer live near most of my friends, and it is an easy way to keep in touch.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
charolastra
Member [07%]

I use Facebook as a way for keeping in touch and networking. I've never gotten the whole "popularity contest"- I don't feel that kind of pressure at all. Moreover, it saves me from making phone calls if I want to make plans.

And I'll admit, I get a great deal of schadenfreude pleasure from some of my high school acquaintances. It seems like all of the moralistic, evangelical, conservative girls who made my liberal life hell in middle and high school are now pregnant and having to drop out of college. I should probably feel a bit sorry for them, but I see it as karma.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
LvHmBirth
Member [04%]

I use Facebook for social recon, but don't think about the popularity contest aspect of it at all. I have friends who are single, and it's nice to periodically see something from them so I know they're still alive. I especially enjoy the witty / sarcastic status updates, and tend to just gloss over the ones that are whiny, sanctimonious, or "I'm going to bed."

Right now, an organization I'm involved with is trying to coordinate a grassroots effort, and Facebook has been very handy for that. A lot easier than sending out repeated emails and wondering who has what info when, etc.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:45 PM   #11
Deadgod
Member [28%]
a murder of crows...the next trend in Crime Scene Investigation.
MBTI: INTX

I used to be obsessed with it (facebook, that is), mainly because I needed attention at the time. I realized that it was detrimental as I started loosing my sense of reality, so I deactivated it. I gained by sense of reality back but lost touch with people. So I activated it again. I frequently check it but fear that I might become obsessed with it again.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #12
ssrprotege
Core Member [113%]
MBTI: xxxx

I don't like Facebook, but I think it's necessary. I think it's a necessary evil. Personally, if I don't have to use it, I won't use it. Yet, I find keeping in touch with people far from me via facebook fairly efficient.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #13
More Tea
Member [05%]

I love Facebook. I use it to keep in touch with people from law school whom I otherwise would have lost contact with. For those of us who hate the phone, its a great low-energy tool for keeping up with people. I also like the applications--like photo storage and Catbook/Dogbook--that come with it.

Facebook has a much more professional feel to it than Myspace. I have a Myspace account that I never use; I usually take a peek at Facebook at least a few times per week, however.

O.K., true confessions: how many of you have your language set to English (Pirate)? Arrrrr, 'tis a pleasure to me eye to be using "Pirate" as me Facebook tongue! Avast!
Old 06-26-2009, 06:47 PM   #14
vash
Member [15%]

I don't have facebook or myspace, but a lot of my relatives are on facebook. I hate the thought of social networking in real life (b/c of all the small talk), so I don't understand why I should want to do it on-line. This forum is the closest I have ever come to "social networking" and I don't feel like I am doing that here. But at least I have enough similarity to ppl here that I keep logging in. Hmm.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:09 PM   #15
SelfMadeBum
Core Member [527%]
What's that, Smacky?

I hate Facebook and believe it's evil... only not the good kind.

Turns people into morons.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:25 PM   #16
Kele-De
Member [06%]
MBTI: intj

I only use it out of obligation to keep up with my family so I'm not out of the loop. I think it's functional but I don't like it and I ignore it for the most part.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #17
dragonsscout
Member [47%]
Back for the holidays!

Like some of the others, I conduct social recon on Facebook. I also use to to contact friends and play Nations. I usually do a quick check twice a day to see if there's anything I should be aware of.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #18
Monte314
Core Member [473%]
Chief Scientist; Adjunct Full Professor of Computer Science; six times Who's Who in the World; national, state Advisory Panels; author of two books, many papers; Jedi Math Dog

I have a MySpace and a FaceBook account. I visit them every day to "check in", but don't spend much time there. Chit-chat is no more enjoyable online than it is face-to-face.
Monte314 is online
Old 06-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #19
Merle
Veteran Member [57%]
nostalgia for infinity
MBTI: INTP

I have a myspace and a facebook too; I rarely, if ever, log into myspace anymore, Facebook I use to keep in touch with friends in other countries mostly... and with my little sister at university, because neither of us ever has credit for our phones and she will not get skype.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #20
ranwayslo
Member [19%]

I have a facebook and myspace. Both are less than 6 months old. I use them to keep in touch with people that I know and or am related to. I prefer facebook. Myspaz makes me extremely uncomfortable. Everyone has a different layout and configuration...extremely unsettling. Facebook has a standard format, but allows for individual expression of self. If you must use one, I recommend facebook. I have a few, literally less than four, friends who use myspace exclusively. I keep that account up to date for their benefit.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:00 AM   #21
AaronSheffield
Core Member [117%]
I said what I said. I did not say what I did not say.
MBTI: InTj

Originally Posted by Nightwish bob
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I used to ignore it, then I became slightly obsessed. Now I just read what others put and play Mafia Wars online and occasionally organise gatherings with friends as it's cheaper than texts... I can take it or leave it really but it has it's uses, and it is almost like people watching seeing what others write and do.

I don't mean to alarm you, but I think we may be the same person.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:42 AM   #22
Soobpar
Member [04%]
MBTI: INtj

Bah, I wrote some long post detailing how I hate facebook for it's damage on relationships and how it makes things much more difficult after a breakup but it all got erased. Suffice it to say I like my privacy and too much freedom to lurk on other people and misinterpret things you see or read can be a dangerous thing. Plus I just hate the whole "social networking" scene.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:29 AM   #23
AnteSixFour
New Member [01%]

I'm a facebook user and find it good to keep in the loop with friends and family who live far away. It makes me feel connected (without having to call them) and funnily enough, it's sort of like being in a little village (very McLuhan-ish, but the dude was right so many years ago - even though I'm sure he would never have envisioned something like facebook back then).

And staying on the village metaphor, you have to put up with your fair share of village idiots, comedians, boring dullards, gossips, braggarts. My pet peeve at the moment are 'friends' who have turned into mommy monsters and regularly post ridiculously banal comments about their kids, or doing housework, or gushing about how great their husband is. (I have one 'friend' who posts these sort of comments about three times a day so I'm hardly exaggerating.)

I also have another annoyingly overachiever type friend with political aspirations who uses facebook as a platform to publicise all his fantastic achievements or all the exciting things he has planned, and while he's at it, show off his multi-lingual skills with numerous international facebook friends. Bleh. For this type of person, I'm sure facebook is like heroin because of all the power it has in affirming their fabulousness.

Why am I still friends with them? I don't know... sometimes reading their crap is kind of amusing if I'm in the right mood.

But most other times I really itch to make some highly offensive sarcastic comment to their generally insipid status updates and have to quickly log out and make myself a nice cup of tea or something and remind myself that it doesn't matter.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:51 AM   #24
Urbicande
New Member [01%]

Suspended my accounty.

I came to the conclusion that most interactions on my FB account were with people I didn't really cared about, did not talk to in 10 years, acquainttances, etc, and who did not have to know some particulars about my life.

The people I am very close of do not interact with me on my profile, but eh, in real life !!! so I decided to suspend it and spend more time with close friend and less unproductive time with acquainttances.

Plus mixing profesional contacts, acquainttances, friends, close friends, family in the same "place" is not good for me, unless you set up pretty drastic privacy rules.

But it may have its use though. Quite handy to share photos to several people, give general news, and so on.
I am now more passive with it, reading the news of my people (yeah, not all are "friends" :-) ) but distillating news from me to the ones who at least take the pain to ask ...

Reading the crap like "XXXX has gotten a coffee :-)" can be entertaining sometimes, but at other moments can make you feel completely dumb and void ... so I used to hide the status of these people, but there was not much people left :-)

I am too much in personnal relationship with people I care about to be really socially satisfied by FB. Some people think that you should be aware of their news because they posted them, or when you ask "what's up ?" reply "you didn't see on FB ?" ...

Simply, I think that for the people you care, FB is useless (use real life instead), and for people you don't care ... hmmm .... I don't care ... so FB is useless : conclusion --> useless or at least far from essential :-)
Old 06-27-2009, 06:17 AM   #25
MaleVolentworld
Member [23%]
And today, we shall joust

Originally Posted by SelfMadeBum
I hate Facebook and believe it's evil... only not the good kind.

Turns people into morons.

I think they were already morons before they joined
, don't give Facebook some mystical power to alter minds.

Tags
social networking