Extreme Extrovert and Extreme Introvert None
Old 02-06-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
Zhen
Veteran Member [95%]
INTJf: ever seeing never perceiving ever hearing never understanding...
MBTI: eNfp

I found myself in the company of an Extreme Extrovert the other night.

Although it was a one of those "not fun - awkward" moments at the time, on retrospect it was pretty funny to witness such polarity in behaviour...extroverts are so uncomfortable with silence and totally don't "get" that introverts can actually like it!

Me: (sensing other party's discomfort with silence) "Don't mind me I'm just in a really anti-social mode, I'm an introvert after all."

(perhaps 2s of silence elapses...)

Him: "Don't mind me I'm just going to be quiet for some moments because I'm not feeling too well..."(LOL the irony re apologising for being quiet didn't fail to amuse) and despite not feeling well(he later threw up) he still managed to output a shiteload of talk!!

Lucky there were more moderate others around to mitigate this huge chasm of misunderstanding...

I think what was really going through our individual heads at the time was:

Me: Be silent, damn you!
Him: Why don't you just talk, dammit!

*LOL*

Old 02-06-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
playthestatic
Member [04%]
I play the static with the noise in my head, and let the sound surround everyone.
MBTI: INTJ

Haha, I know. I got dragged out clubbing the other night (had to haul out my rusty ESFP full-body armour for this) and after hours of yelling and dancing and drinking I just had to sit down and construct a mental bubble (read: portable charger) for a few minutes. No, the bunch of nutso extroverts I was with immediately crowded around asking if I was 'okay' and tried to coax me back onto the dancefloor and kept offering me more drinks. I kept bellowing that I was indeed okay and just needed a breather, but it was like shouting into the wind.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
Zhen
Veteran Member [95%]
INTJf: ever seeing never perceiving ever hearing never understanding...
MBTI: eNfp

Originally Posted by playthestatic
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Haha, I know. I got dragged out clubbing the other night (had to haul out my rusty ESFP full-body armour for this) and after hours of yelling and dancing and drinking I just had to sit down and construct a mental bubble (read: portable charger) for a few minutes. No, the bunch of nutso extroverts I was with immediately crowded around asking if I was 'okay' and coaxing me back onto the dancefloor and offering me more drinks. I kept bellowing that I was indeed okay and just needed a breather, but it was like shouting into the wind.

LOL I'm past the age of bothering trying to gloss over my antisocialness I think- not very considerate of me I know...too tired. You did pretty well to withstand that, I must say!

Old 02-06-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
Doppelbock
Member [34%]
ERROR: OUT OF BEER

I call extreme extroverts "extremoverts" -- I have a couple of tongue-in-cheek blog posts about it
and
Old 02-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
Kaidence
New Member [01%]

I never really understood the awkward silence thing. I mean, how is being quite awkward? Some extroverts kept saying around me there always seemed to be an awkward silence but i never thought so.

I hate being dragged out to social events, especially when people start telling me to stop being such an introvert and say something for once.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:30 AM   #6
probity
Member [21%]
MBTI: ISTP

I used to work with an extremely extroverted ESFP. Eventually he gave up trying to talk to me but that didn't make our silences anymore awkward. Every time I looked at him I got a hurt/confused puppy vibe and no matter how I explained he couldn't help but equate my silence with not liking him. Truth be told I adored him! I'm even more introverted in a work setting than a social setting though, so I was never comfortable 'just chatting' with him the majority of time I was in his company. It was quite tragic.