Disney tries typing their own characters None
Old 04-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
SShack
Core Member [124%]
"Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean."
MBTI: ENTP

Since MBTI fans already do it, Disney decided to get in on the act
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

They type Elsa from "Frozen" as INTJ. I guess they wanted to avoid comparing anybody to a villain to keep from making anybody upset? How Disney. Though, amusingly, apparently Elsa was originally going to be the villain of the movie, but the script was changed.

They got the wrong Jack for ENTP. They picked Jack Sparrow when they really should have picked Jack Skellington.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
Mockingbird
New Member [01%]
MBTI: INTJ

I always pictured Elsa from Frozen as an INFJ...
Old 04-17-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
Kittikat42
New Member [01%]

ooh interesting read thanks for posting! I did relate to Elsa when I watched Frozen but I still don't get what all the hype was about. Someone desperately needs to explain the hype to me.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
oberonblue
Core Member [111%]
MBTI: InTJ

ESFJ (Extroverted, Sensing, Feeling, Judging)
Mary Poppins
What is your Disney personality type?
Always polite and proper, you are happiest when you can help someone. You are deeply generous and compassionate and value harmony and loyalty. You might come across as bossy, but it’s only because you care so deeply for those around you. Basically, you are practically perfect in every way.

*gag*
Until I meet a Marry Poppins, I'll maintain my impression that ESFJs are big balls of bossy crazy that punish you for not matching their crazy.

Disney really made every type sound ideal, didn't they? lol Except that I noticed they told INTJs that we sometimes need to let it go...
Old 04-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
Chameleon
Restricted [forum rules]

MBTI: INTP

My wife is going to love how they picked Peter Pan as ESFP!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
HankMorgan
Member [21%]

Originally Posted by Mockingbird
I always pictured Elsa from Frozen as an INFJ...

I agree with INTJ. She seems too content being isolated to be an INFJ.

Also, I've noticed that MBTI descriptions tend to focus heavily on the positive traits while downplaying the negative stuff. INTJs don't really care, but a lot of types would probably be initially turned off to MBTI if it was pointing out their flaws and saying how they can be annoying and dumb sometimes. And it's enough of a challenge to get Sensors to care about MBTI stuff already.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
Megalomania
Core Member [131%]
I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled? 
-Luke 12:49

I always liked Scar from the Lion King, besides his cowardice, I hate that. He's probably one of those INTJs who talks a big game over the internet through forums.
Megalomania is online
Old 04-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
vedera
Core Member [169%]
"How wonderful that we have been met with a paradox. Now we have some hope of making progress." - Bohr
MBTI: iNxj

Elsa, an INTJ?!

I rolled around in bed laughing for a solid 30 seconds. There's no way she's a rational. All of her actions are very Fe, she keeps away from Arendale, does all the things she does to save her sister and the kingdom from herself. She's beside herself the entire time she goes off into some dramatic gesture. She shows weakness readily, admits her faults freely and...rather loudly (and perhaps even melodically). You can see the parts of her true personality when she isn't in some deep stress. In the beginning of the movie before she became forcibly isolated, and then at the end, when she is no longer regarded as a monster. Even her voice changes at the end, more chipper, happy.

Elsa is clearly an INFJ.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
SeverusSin
Restricted [forum rules]

MBTI: xNxx

Lets type the villains!! You guys go first.
SeverusSin is online
Old 04-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #10
vedera
Core Member [169%]
"How wonderful that we have been met with a paradox. Now we have some hope of making progress." - Bohr

Ursula - ESTJ
Old 04-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #11
HankMorgan
Member [21%]

Originally Posted by vedera
Elsa is clearly an INFJ.

C'mon, let us have an INTJ good guy in a movie just for once.

Originally Posted by SeverusSin
Lets type the villains!! You guys go first.

INTJ, INTJ, INTJ, INTJ, INTJ, and... INTJ.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #12
vedera
Core Member [169%]

Originally Posted by HankMorgan
C'mon, let us have an INTJ good guy in a movie just for once.

Milo, Treasure Planet.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:46 AM   #13
HankMorgan
Member [21%]

Milo, Treasure Planet.

Oh, cool. I never saw that one, though.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #14
themuzicman
Restricted [forum rules]

Evil Step Mother, ISTJ
themuzicman is online
Old 04-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #15
Antares
Core Member [225%]

Originally Posted by HankMorgan
I agree with INTJ. She seems too content being isolated to be an INFJ.

That, and she doesn't have a shred of Fe.

Elsa, an INTJ?!

I rolled around in bed laughing for a solid 30 seconds. There's no way she's a rational. All of her actions are very Fe, she keeps away from Arendale, does all the things she does to save her sister and the kingdom from herself. She's beside herself the entire time she goes off into some dramatic gesture. She shows weakness readily, admits her faults freely and...rather loudly (and perhaps even melodically). You can see the parts of her true personality when she isn't in some deep stress. In the beginning of the movie before she became forcibly isolated, and then at the end, when she is no longer regarded as a monster. Even her voice changes at the end, more chipper, happy.

Elsa is clearly an INFJ.

You can say they're motivated by feelings, but none of the actions you listed above are Fe actions. And she only admits her faults and weaknesses to herself. Let it go? A solo piece; nobody else is around. This is not Fe. This is introspection, albeit outloud, because this is a musical movie. It's like a Shakespearean soliloquy. Hamlet, for instance, doesn't show any feelings around people maybe except for his mother and Horatio, yet listening to his soliloquies you get quite a different picture. The outside world does not have access to Hamlet's soliloquies or Elsa's "Let It Go". You can bet a lot of money that none of the characters in the play save Horatio has any inkling of what's going on inside Hamlet. This is a trope in drama, not a touch of characterization. Besides, Disney was gunning for an award with this song. It has to be loud and dramatic and full of belting.

She's reserved and emotionally undemonstrative around other people, even at her own coronation when she's just standing there in the middle of a ball. Her reaction to Hans and Anna's marriage proposal: Uh WTF no. She doesn't take Anna aside and counsel her like the INFJs I know in real life would. She displays very low social awareness (social awareness and the ability to mirror other people's feelings is a core Fe trait). Her reaction is very stereotypically Thinking: Hell no, that's ridiculous. And Anna is offended because SHE is a feeler and feels shot down and rejected by Elsa's failure to mirror her enthusiasm and her blunt words, when the latter didn't mean it that way. Anna freaks out, presses Elsa for a reaction. Elsa's Fi freaks out, tries to back out of the situation, shit happens because Elsa has that power.

When Anna goes to persuade her to come back, all she does is warn Anna to go away. She doesn't confide in anyone. She doesn't tell Anna what's really wrong. And given that her main conflict is emotional and spiritual, not intellectual, you can hardly say that just because she's focused on these issues 90% of the time she must be a feeler. Put a feeler in a Sci Fi movie and make him into a scientist dealing with technical issues and he'll seem like a thinker. Plus, honestly, if I were Elsa and my power could kill my sister and everyone else, and if I were shut up like that my entire life, I'd have fled also. Do you have to be a feeler to not want to be a danger to the people you love?

Old 04-17-2014, 01:50 PM   #16
vedera
Core Member [169%]

Originally Posted by Antares
Er. Do you know what Fe IS? You can say it's motivated by feelings, but none of the actions you listed above are Fe actions. And she only admits her faults and weaknesses to herself. Let it go? A solo piece; nobody else is around. This is not Fe. This is introspection, albeit outloud, because this is a musical movie. It's like a Shakespearean soliloquy. Hamlet, for instance, doesn't show any feelings around people maybe except for his mother and Horatio, yet listening to his soliloquys you get quite a different picture. This is a trope in drama, not a touch of characterization. Besides, Disney was gunning for an award with this song. It has to be loud and dramatic and full of belting.

She's reserved and emotionally undemonstrative around other people, even at her own coronation when she's just standing there in the middle of a ball. Her reaction to Hans and Anna's marriage proposal: Uh WTF no. She doesn't take Anna aside and counsel her like the INFJs I know in real life would. She displays very low social awareness (social awareness and the ability to mirror other people's feelings is a core Fe trait). Her reaction is very stereotypically Thinking: Hell no, that's ridiculous.

When Anna goes to persuade her to come back, all she does is warn Anna to go away. She doesn't confide in anyone. She doesn't tell Anna what's really wrong. And given that her main conflict is emotional and spiritual, not rational, you can hardly say that just because she's focused on these issues 90% of the time she must be a feeler. Put a feeler in a Sci Fi movie and he'll seem like a thinker. Plus, honestly, if I were Elsa and my power could kill my sister and everyone else, and if I were shut up like that my entire life, I'd have fled also. Do you have to be a feeler to not want to be a danger to the people you love?

Well, wouldn't anyone, considering she is a snow queen? Isolation would kind of be one of the cornerstones of that particular condition, and that's more due to the storyline and not the character itself. It's part of plot development. I'll explain.

Throughout the movie, Elsa's main battles are with herself. With her own struggle for acceptance within the community and to find repose somewhere in the midst of her fears and insecurities. Elsa is necessarily intense and dramatic, with a certain listlessness and desperation that INTJs usually don't experience. Instead of being forward-thinking and innovative, in honing her powers and learning to experiment with them, she spends most of her time trying to mediate her emotionally unstable landscape, thus keeping from "letting go" ...and subsequently freezing the entire town into oblivion. It isn't until she stops feeling fundamentally "defective" that she comes into her own and finds self-acceptance, and this is the point in the movie where we finally see the extent of her power, and even then, she still battles with herself in trying to control herself.

The problem with Elsa is that her isolation and social behaviors are all learned. She was not naturally disposed to having those behaviors. They root from necessity (when she was young) and guilt (as she got older). She could not be moved at her own coronation because she was pretty worried she would freeze the entire first row. I would be just as undemonstrative given the circumstances.

And if you've seen the movie as many times as I have (I've got to say it's my absolute favorite Disney movie) you would know that Elsa DOES ask Anna to step aside when she asks for a blessing. Anna backlashes and says that "if she had anything to say, she can tell them both." She obliged. She is not only under the immense pressure to control her emotions, but she also can't have people living within her domain due to her secret. It just wasn't going to happen.

During the "For The First Time In Forever" reprise, Elsa does, dramatically state what's wrong. The song ends in "I can't."

I suppose that the character in itself can't be subject to much further analysis because of outside factors, like the fact that the story isn't completely about Elsa (much of the movie focuses on Anna's sacrifice to not only seek Elsa out and convince her to embrace herself) but also tends to focus on betrayals that keep the story interesting.

And of course, it's a children's movie. There has to be some sort of moral statement they make somewhere in there. What suffers is quite a bit of character development.

INFJ.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #17
eminentThymine
Member [44%]

I can picture Elsa creating an army of ice warriors and striving towards world domination. She could sing 'Let it go' to the other nations leaders.

I just wrote a sequel to Frozen.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #18
Silverity
Core Member [403%]

Also keep in mind that Elsa is ruled over by a ton of anxiety, she's been drilled to not show her feelings and not let anyone know about her powers, her remoteness isn't something she chose, she's trying to be an obedient little daughter, when she fails that she runs and tries to isolate herself operating under the impression that if she doesn't live up to the standards her parents set out then she can't belong at all. She didn't strike me as INTJ either for that reason. Her natural self, seen at the end of the movie, was very benevolent ruler, she's happier when people are around her and she's engaging and pleasing them. I have no idea what her type is but she came off as more NF than NT to me. She needs to belong and be accepted.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #19
Teybo
Member [19%]
MBTI: INFJ

Why should Elsa be an N type?
Old 04-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #20
vedera
Core Member [169%]

I see her more as an Ni than Si-dom.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:01 PM   #21
HankMorgan
Member [21%]

It's the story of Elsa's journey with tertiary Fi, with Fi being symbolized by her powers. As a child, she emotionally hurts her Feeler sister, which leads Elsa to suppress her emotions out of guilt. At the ceremony, she has a Fi-butthurt explosion (with covering the town in ice/snow representing pissing everyone off), after which she peaces out and embraces her Fi with a DGAF attitude:

I don’t care
What they’re going to say
Let the storm rage on,
The cold never bothered me anyway

...withdrawing to her ice castle the same way that INTJs retreat and isolate themselves when there's more Feels than they're comfortable handling.

At the end of the journey, she realizes her Fi-based sisterly love for Anna, rounding out her DGAF attitude with the warm (thawing), interpersonal connection part of Fi, allowing her to function more socially at the end of the movie with a more balanced personality and a more well-developed Fi.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:19 PM   #22
ShadowBurn
Member [21%]

Practically every disney villian = INTJ imo.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #23
oberonblue
Core Member [111%]
MBTI: InTJ

Originally Posted by ShadowBurn
Practically every disney villian = INTJ imo.

Really?

I see a lot of S's and F's in Disney villains:

"I should be the ruler/best and how dare they disagree." - Ursula, Jafar, Gaston

And a lot of Feel-motivated badness - Snow White's stepmother, Malificent (original), Scar

I don't think of most Disney villains like James Bond villains. They're probably written to be driven by emotions that children can understand, like jealousy, low-self-esteem-driven bullying, hurt feelings.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #24
Moxiie
Core Member [387%]
Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production.
MBTI: eNfP

All villians are ENFPs. Geez. Everyone knows this.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #25
Kisai
Core Member [433%]
Mad, bad, and dangerous to know.
MBTI: XXXX

Ursula: ESFJ
Jafar: INTJ
Gaston: ESTJ
Evil StepMom: ESFJ
Malficent: ENTP (?)
Scar: INTJ