Baseball 2013 sports
Old 03-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
deconspire
Core Member [457%]
the platypus is the stupidest fucking animal ever. it's like a bunch of random animals had an orgy and out popped that goofy ass thing.
MBTI: intp

I was thinking MLB, but fuck it, we got World Baseball Classic comin' up too, plus I follow Chinese baseball. Anyway...baseball thread! Can we get 500 views and 50 comments over the season?
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Since WBC (needs a new acronym, sounds like a belt floyd mayweather doesn't care about) is up next, i'm going for:

Cuba - champ

Venezuela - runner up/last loser

USA - third

also, the Braves for the mlb champs this year. yeah, i'm a homer. whatevs. still gonna happen.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
Contrapreneur
Member [03%]
MBTI: INTJ

College baseball, anyone?
Old 03-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
porousshield
Member [30%]

I used to follow the Jays and Expos but the Jays haven't done anything since 1993 and the Expos don't exist any more so I've lost track.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
Moxiie
Core Member [385%]
Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production.
MBTI: eNfP

AL girl all the way here.

2013 will finally see the Mariners with WS rings.......

meanwhile in the real world:
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hard to predict this early, but I would like to see the AL West perform this year...and specifically the Bosox and the M's stay the fuck out of the basement. Last year sucked.
Moxiie is online
Old 03-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
thebrainpolice
Core Member [277%]
MBTI: ISTJ

I'll just be glad if the Pirates crack .500. 20 years of crap is long enough. As for the World Series, the Angels will probably take it. Albert Pujols, Mike Trout, and Josh Hamilton in the same lineup...just holy shit.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
Analyze
Veteran Member [52%]

I'm a Red Sox fan, and I honestly have no clue what to expect this upcoming season. I'm just hoping for at least .500.
Analyze is online
Old 03-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Fishism
Member [44%]

Red Sox fan here. They did a good salary dump last year and they'll have a bit of a rebuilding year this year. Middle of the pack in the AL East I think.

The Blue Jays went crazy, almost buying an entire pitching staff. Their last year's ace, Ricky Romero, will be lucky to be their #5 this year. They're going for it. Tampa will be tough too. I think the AL East is going to look weird with the Yanks and Sox hangin' around near the bottom.

Nationals, Reds, Giants, Dodgers and Diamondbacks all look good in the NL. Pirates could surprise. Angels, Rangers, Tigers and Indians look good and the A's could surprise.

The Astros may be the worst team......ever.

I predict the Nationals and their balanced team beat the Tigers, with their great 1-5 starters and a healthy Victor Martinez in the WS.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
porousshield
Member [30%]

Originally Posted by Fishism

The Blue Jays went crazy, almost buying an entire pitching staff. Their last year's ace, Ricky Romero, will be lucky to be their #5 this year. They're going for it. Tampa will be tough too. I think the AL East is going to look weird with the Yanks and Sox hangin' around near the bottom.

I'll believe it when I see it. They had to buy a new pitching staff just to bring them up to par. It hurts to say it but I'm definitely a bandwagon now.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
deconspire
Core Member [457%]
the platypus is the stupidest fucking animal ever. it's like a bunch of random animals had an orgy and out popped that goofy ass thing.

I'm not completely sold on the Blue Jays.

R.A Dickey - has been very good for two years, but he does only throw the knuckler. If that pitch stops floating (as they are want to do), he's tim wakefield 2.0. I just think he's do for a severe regression because that pitch just can't be commanded this long.

Josh Johnson - Has never stayed healthy, never, and he's not as good as he was before the injuries mounted up and fucked up his mechanics anyway. Although when he was on and healthy, he was one of the best pitchers in the MLB. I think he's pitching scared-of-injuries right now and it is effecting him mentally.

Brandon Morrow - It's been like three straight years of everyone saying, "this is his breakout year". I think he's simply just a guy that will strike out a ton of guys, but give up a ton of walks and runs too. He's like bad A.J. Burnett, basically.

Mark Buehrle - I like Buehrle a lot actually, kind of like how I like my 4th favorite car if I had four cars. He's really solid, but he's not your ace. 13 wins and 200 IP every year. Bank it. A great #4 SP, and if you Jays fans are wondering why I'm down on your staff, it's 'cause the most reliable guy you have is your #4.

Ricky Romero - had a shitty year last year, but I think his legit upside is only a Mark Buehrle type year with more k's.

Also, Darren Oliver is like 900 years old. Sergio Santos is really good, too bad he's only giving you one high leverage inning 3 games a week.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
Fishism
Member [44%]

Originally Posted by porousshield
I'll believe it when I see it. They had to buy a new pitching staff just to bring them up to par. It hurts to say it but I'm definitely a bandwagon now.

I agree. I'll believe it when I see it as well, but on paper, they improved dramatically. I think they could be a playoff team, but only if that pitching staff stays healthy. I don't know if Edwin Encarncion is going to repeat what he did last year. He played his butt off for a contract and Adam Lind has to be better. Having Jose Reyes gives them a great lead off hitter and Bonifacio will be a great supersub. There's lots of excitement in T.O.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
deconspire
Core Member [457%]

Originally Posted by Fishism
I agree. I'll believe it when I see it as well, but on paper, they improved dramatically. I think they could be a playoff team, but only if that pitching staff stays healthy. I don't know if Edwin Encarncion is going to repeat what he did last year. He played his butt off for a contract and Adam Lind has to be better. Having Jose Reyes gives them a great lead off hitter and Bonifacio will be a great supersub. There's lots of excitement in T.O.

Hell, if Encarnacion can give you 75% of what he did last year offensively you'd be in good shape. He used to drive me crazy when he played for the Reds - so streaky. I would bet on Lawrie having a solid year - I'm thinking .280 with 20 HRs, 15 steals, 75 runs, and have an OBP around .340.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #12
Analyze
Veteran Member [52%]

I'm going to resurrect this thread now that baseball is actually being played. We're in a much better spot than I had anticipated, and I'm pretty pleased with the prospects of this season. How is everyone else fairing?
Analyze is online
Old 04-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #13
thebrainpolice
Core Member [277%]
MBTI: ISTJ

Woot, Pirates are in first place in the NL Central. I doubt they'll stay there but I'll enjoy it while it lasts. Also, what happened to the Angels? So much for my World Series pick.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #14
Fishism
Member [44%]

Originally Posted by Analyze
I'm going to resurrect this thread now that baseball is actually being played. We're in a much better spot than I had anticipated, and I'm pretty pleased with the prospects of this season. How is everyone else fairing?

As a fellow Sox fan, I'm pleasantly surprised as well. I don't know what's up with Hanrahan though. It's too early for him to be feeling Red Sox Nation pressure. Ortiz has been a beast and the pitching staff is glad to have Farrell back.

Of the other teams, the Dodgers have some tough luck. That pitching staff got thin really fast. The Braves/Nats race in the NL East is going to fun to watch. Good pitching there.

I'm off to see the Red Sox and Jays play in Toronto Thursday night. Can't wait!

Old 05-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #15
deconspire
Core Member [457%]

Goddamn I hate the sox (both of them, but especially the red ones) but y'all look great right now. I don't know if it lasts, but enjoy the ride they been vuury surprising.

My Bravos look great. And we're 5-1 against the Nats and beat Straus twice. Nigga, please.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:42 PM   #16
porousshield
Member [30%]

The Jays are always a roller coaster. The Toronto MLB and NHL teams lost a combined 14-2 tonight to teams from Boston.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:56 AM   #17
Analyze
Veteran Member [52%]

Originally Posted by porousshield
The Jays are always a roller coaster. The Toronto MLB and NHL teams lost a combined 14-2 tonight to teams from Boston.

Take solace in the fact that you'll get to play Houston. Moving them to the AL was the best gift for our division in quite some time.

Outside of that whole wild card thing of course.

Analyze is online

Tags
sports