Mechanical keyboard? None
Old 03-28-2012, 05:16 AM   #1
squarebox
Member [02%]
MBTI: INTJ

Is anyone into mechanical keyboard?
As an INTJ, I always looking for something better. I found and fell in love with mechanical keyboard.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
stasis
Administrator
morbid clich.
MBTI: INTP

I like mechanical keyboard. Keys to pressing like before, but make click instead of nothing.
Cause -> effect. Like god.

IBM Model M 1388032

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
Zodd
Core Member [199%]
North-Korea Rapejokes Guns Slayer LSD $weetGang$tahAngel Bananus Tits Monte314 USA Nordic-Walking Jesus DownSyndrome boobpoop EurovisionSongFestival Shia Lebeouf
MBTI: xxxx

I don't know what a mechanical keyboard is but mine looks just like the picture above, except with windows buttons. Didn't have anything else at the time and it doesn't bother me at all now. It's just what you get used too.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
bobabrowncoat
Core Member [321%]
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law

I have a Unicomp Model M replica at work courtesy of my predecessor. Recently, I bought a
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 2 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
at home. Love them Cherry MX blue switches!
Old 03-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
SarcasticVlad
Veteran Member [98%]

I have a Steelseries 7G. It looks pretty plain. Kinda looks like shit actually, but it's the best keyboard I've ever used.

SarcasticVlad is online
Old 03-28-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
squarebox
Member [02%]

Here are some pictures of mine.

INTJ makes me appreciate high-quality stuff more... I know that some will find it unnecessary or illogical to spend so much on a keyboard.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
bobabrowncoat
Core Member [321%]
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law

I wanted a keyboard without the lettering, but the ones I found are priced higher than the one I bought. Where do you buy the keycaps? Are they for Cherry MX switches?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #8
squarebox
Member [02%]

Originally Posted by bobabrowncoat
I wanted a keyboard without the lettering, but the ones I found are priced higher than the one I bought. Where do you buy the keycaps? Are they for Cherry MX switches?

You can purchase blank keycaps from WASDkeyboards if you're in USA.
The other keycaps are from a Mass/Group buy.
Yup, they are all for MX switches.

There's a community just for keyboards called geekhack.org
Be careful when you visit, it's a money pit...

Old 03-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
kittencuddler
New Member [01%]

My boyfriend recently got a mechanical keyboard, and it's magical to type on. I'm going to buy one in the next few years, once I'm out of uni and in a stable place where I can use a desktop.

I sort of want to go for an all pink and white thing...

Old 03-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
bobabrowncoat
Core Member [321%]

Wow. That's... pink.

Originally Posted by kittencuddler
...it's magical to type on.

People underestimate how good a keyboard can be. I don't think they've really had any other choice though. Mechanical keyboards are so rare and have to be tracked down.

---

I wanted a keyboard with the red switches instead of blue just so it would be quieter. I'd like to try it out first, though.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
Bevan
Veteran Member [99%]
'I walk with great circumspection, and scrupulously confine myself within the bounds of modesty, conscious that it is inhuman to heap affliction on the afflicted.'~Don Quixote

My keyboard is almost worn out. I didn't know about mechanical keyboards, but now I am nerd-lusting after one. I like the keycaps. What is the price range?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #12
dydx
New Member [01%]

Man, very l33t keyboards. Used to have a Unicomp Endura Pro that uses IBM buckling-spring mechanical keyswitches, but eventually sold it because it was too much resistance to handle.

Now using an older generation white Apple keyboard that's non-mechanical, and softer to the touch that I'm content with. The Apple Extended Keyboard II was incredible and liked its mechanical feeling better. I think it used Alps keyswitches, and they're also used in other higher-end keyboards.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:32 AM   #13
ehares
Member [05%]
vaiu a cantari
MBTI: INFJ

Happy Hacking Professional 2
Old 03-31-2012, 06:51 AM   #14
squarebox
Member [02%]

Originally Posted by Bevan
My keyboard is almost worn out. I didn't know about mechanical keyboards, but now I am nerd-lusting after one. I like the keycaps. What is the price range?

Keyboard range from $99-$299
The unique keys range from $0.5 to $200++ per key.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
bobabrowncoat
Core Member [321%]

The one exception I've found to the price range is the one I bought:
. ~US$80 (
)
Old 03-31-2012, 01:55 PM   #16
master j
Member [05%]
MBTI: intj

i'm always on the lookout for a model m. used to have a bunch but not anymore. best keyboard ever, though my $3 one i bought online has lasted 3 years now.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:54 PM   #17
Ytterbium
Veteran Member [74%]

I've a Unicomp model M remake. I really like the springs, the feedback it gives when I write. And yes I'm a geekhack member aswell.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:13 PM   #18
Shadizar
Core Member [171%]

[hide=The original mechanic keyboard]
[/hide]
Old 04-01-2012, 01:42 AM   #19
Mogura
Core Member [182%]
I am not the droid you're looking for...
MBTI: INFJ

I don't know why, but when I clicked on this thread I was kind of expecting a discussion on Steampunk-type keyboards. What you guys are talking about are "regular keyboards." LOL...

Old 04-01-2012, 03:15 AM   #20
Dru
Core Member [273%]
Think of me as you think of yourself; another unfinished book on an infinite shelf.
MBTI: INTP

Originally Posted by bobabrowncoat

couldn't you just, err, rub the lettering off? fingernails are free!

Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #21
Andrea
New Member [01%]

It makes me feel important when I type away on my clickey keys! *tap tap tap* :D
Old 04-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #22
ColdAsFrost
New Member [01%]

Originally Posted by Dru
couldn't you just, err, rub the lettering off? fingernails are free!

Some keyboards have a protective layer on top of the letter printing. So you would have to scrape through that layer first, thereby changing (ruining?) the feeling of the keyboard.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #23
Analyze
Member [44%]

I have two keyboards, a mechanical for playing video games and another one that I use for typing normally.

The one I use for typing is a Dvorak keyboard, and the mechanical is standard layout.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #24
silicon212
Member [25%]
Lost in Space

I loved my IBM Type M. Sadly, I no longer have it and haven't found a replacement. I am currently using a Dell/LiteON USB keyboard with large keys and it works OK, but I miss that tactile click of the Type M.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #25
larrysb
Member [17%]

I loved the old Apple Extended Keyboard and Extended Keyboard II. Those things were battleships. I used one with an ADB-USB converter long after it was discontinued. I don't think a finer keyboard was ever made.

Link to the AEK and the IBM model M.