Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Becs

New to the idea of 'type'

Does your type stick with you through life or do personalities change depending on circumstance?

Does the extent to which you 'fit' in to your type become self-fulfilling the more you are aware?

I have always been very wary of labels and boxes so saying "I am a..." irks me somewhat. But the profiles I read of INTJs feel scarily familiar to me.

I'm not changing my personality type anytime soon.

The briggs and Mayers personality theory is based on 16 cocnitive function, each type uses 4 consciously and 4 unconsciously. So basically, if you're interested at understanding your own psychology, study the cognitive functions of intj's.

Our conscious processes

Dominant: Introverted intuition http://personalityjunkie.com/10/introverted-intuition-ni/

Secondary: Extroverted Thinking http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/Cognitive-Functions/Extraverted-Thinking.cfm

Auxiliary: Introverted Feeling: http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/Cognitive-Functions/Introverted-Feeling.cfm

Inferior: Extroverted sensing:http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/Cognitive-Functions/Extraverted-Sensing.cfm

Edited by Captain North

Does your type stick with you through life or do personalities change depending on circumstance?

Your personality won't change, but the order of your functions will shift around temporarily according to stress.

Edited by Aeroflot

I think that major life changes can definitely affect your personality, but the majority of changes in your life aren't going to drastically change your type.

As an example, I've suffered from a debilitating autoimmune condition for the past few years; in the past I didn't have a lot of sympathy for others and was quick to pass judgement, but nowadays, as a result of what I've gone through, I'm much more empathetic and am getting better at focusing on the feelings of others. By no means have I made a complete turnaround, but I feel like I'm now closer to being Perceiving than I was before.

As a bit more extreme, theoretical example, think of an extremely extroverted person who is involved in a car crash where they receive severe burns to the entirety of their face. Because of this, they become extremely self-conscious and no longer like to be around people, are a lot more reserved, and become emotionally distant. I think that a situation like this would have the potential to completely change a person's personality.

Another question - I'm seeing a lot of posts on here that say my boss is xxxx or my roommate is xxxx. I guess it's just that I'm pretty new to this idea and I can see how sometimes it could be useful to know - but I'm not sure how it would come up in normal conversation. Do people spend time figuring out what types other people are? Is it important? Why is it important?

Another question - I'm seeing a lot of posts on here that say my boss is xxxx or my roommate is xxxx. I guess it's just that I'm pretty new to this idea and I can see how sometimes it could be useful to know - but I'm not sure how it would come up in normal conversation. Do people spend time figuring out what types other people are? Is it important? Why is it important?

Once you've studied cognitive processes and qualities that each specific possesses, you can start to identify people around you as certain types. You just recognize certain qualities and label someone (loosely) as a certain type. This way, you can cross-reference strengths and weaknesses, and know how to deal with this person a little better.