Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

FruitLoop

Dunning–Kruger effect

30 posts in this topic
That's why there's an ELO rating system. If you routinely beat people that are worse than you, your score only goes up a little bit, and then eventually not at all. If you challenge people at your own level or higher, then your rank will really move up, assuming you win.

I know for Chess there exists one. But I'm just saying, a lot of normal people don't put themselves through the competitive process and choose who they want to go against and they claim dominance b/c they always win.

I know for Chess there exists one. But I'm just saying, a lot of normal people don't put themselves through the competitive process and choose who they want to go against and they claim dominance b/c they always win.

I was only speaking for myself - but yes you are correct, people can tend to seek confirmation bias if they have an unhealthy ego.

Everyone seems to think they are a good car driver. At least better than average.

No. I just think that people think they are better than asian drivers, who are quite numerous.

It is true that life does not impose a numerical evaluation on people like games do, but the vast majority of people cannot objectively assess the fruits of their efforts. I see it both at work and at home.

If something "sort of works" as planned, it is hailed by these people as a success, while if I did the same thing I would chalk it up as a failed effort. Most people can rationalize/justify failures and shortcomings as the result of outside influences and not themselves. That is the only thing that makes some sense to me, otherwise I do not understand that sort of thinking, even as frequently as I have encounterred it.

Even with numerical ratings, people often cannot truly accept unacceptable results. For that I will use golf as an example. I wish I had a hair on my head for every person that I've played with that shot 10 or 20 strokes worse than they have claimed. These people have a host of excuses, but one look at their swing tells me that the only time they shot in the 80's was when they quit after 12!

I think it can be equated with common arrogance. A lot of people don't know they have it and don't like to accept the objective truth that they have it.