Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

BlackFlames

Do you jump into conversations you weren't involved in?

35 posts in this topic

When two strangers have a conversation about something you're interested in, or knowledgeable about, do you feel inclined to chime in? Would you/do you do it to correct them about anything? Make possible friends? You thought you just join in on a good convo? Making yourself apart of their conversation so bluntly. I dont do this, I'll just sit and listen and correct or analyze anything that was said, not voicing my opinion on a topic I very well could feel strongly about, and I wonder is that more P than J? But if you don't mind entering in strangers convos, uninvited, do you ever think its rude or make the situation awkward for them? Would a J more likely do this than a P my MBTI oracle's?

Very rarely. Maybe I will if I'm in a situation where I'm the only person around who is not involved in the conversation, or if two people are pondering some question they don't know how to answer and I'm somehow able to help. Even then, there's still a good chance I'll just ignore the conversation entirely.

Sometimes. I just depends on the situation - the topic they are discussing, how well I know them, and maybe some other factors. I'm more inclined to join lighter conversations or conversations at work that might impact my team.

Edited by Warrior

Jumping into the puddles is the only way to make shit fly.

If I'm interested in a subject,and If one participant of the conversation is somewhat attractive female

I often jump into conversations between strangers when I can contribute something interesting, helpful, or fun. Of course it depends on how approachable they seem in terms of body language, conversation, and personality. It often leads to interesting and positive exchanges.

If they're discussing something really interesting like politics, science, or philosophy, I'll try to jump in with my thoughts, but I'll do so cautiously, to gauge whether I'm welcome in the conversation or not (and I usually am).

I would. Especially if it's something I feel very strongly about. I don't hold back. I don't really care who it is with.

Well, there is a big leap between joining a conversation and just pointing out something someone got wrong.

If they are way off with their arguments or if I am in enclosed space, e.g. on a train, with no easy means of avoiding the conversation.

I always start with apologising for entering the conversation uninvited. Most of the time my apology is accepted and the other participants feel me entering the conversation was a good thing.

If I'm interested in a subject,and If one participant of the conversation is somewhat attractive female

With an attractive female present only knowledge about a subject is neccessary for entering a conversation.

To the OP, I would say this post is an example. Btw, what's up with people taking my name? ^

There's a difference between injecting helpful information and critiquing the conversation or individuals.

No, I don't join convos when two strangers are already engaged unless it's at a party or event where mingling is expected. On-forum, sure, why not?

Never, unless I'm really close to them or if they make it clear anyone is allowed to join the conversation.

I don't, although I was mightily tempted today as I heard one woman loudly telling another a whole boatload of misinformation and misconceptions as if it were fact.

I rarely do and only if its a topic of interest (not to correct) are in close proximity, they're body language is inviting and they're talking loudly enough.

Depends on the subject. I rarely interject my opinions and thoughts, unless I know I won't be bothersome. It's normally with casual or relaxed topics, like school, games, and recent news.

I always jump into conversations that I'm not involve in. Then I look like an idiot for jumping into one without notice. Yeah, I've been there. They're never successful in any case.

No, I think that's rude.

I would say that there is such thing as a "welcome intrusion'. If they welcome your participation, then it isn't rude, since the whole idea of being polite is to allow us to exist and interact comfortably and effectively with one another. That is why when a person follows polite protocols with a mean spirited and devious intent, they are in effect, being rude. It is also true that rules of etiquette are features of cultures and thus may differ from culture to culture....and when I refer to culture I refer to all kinds of cultures, institutions, and situations, not simply nations and races.

Some of the best things in my life have occurred via such intrusions. I landed my dream job after a gentleman tailed a conversation of mine and jumped in just as I might have done had I been listening to our debate from the sidelines. He turned out to be a vacationing recruiter for the exact diplomatic organization I was determined to work for.

I jumped in for a bit of witty banter and exchange of stories with a gorgeous young family in Berlin who turned out not to be a family.....and then spent 12 years with that sexy blond, blue-eyed hunk as both of us were smitten at first sight. As it turns out, it wasn't exactly a match made in heaven, but I was 20 and he was incredibly sexy and fun and we learned a lot from each other over the years. I am still glad I jumped into that conversation.

I travel a lot and I work in social psychology and communications. Perhaps it is true that the kind of people I tend to meet are less rigid about rules of engagement....and likely very true that I am good at reading the signs as to whether my participation will be welcomed. In general, I usually receive a positive response.

Not at all. There's more fun in active listening.

I only jump into conversations with people I know and those I am certain won't be offended by my act. I would never do it with strangers even if I am well aware of the topic of their conversation.

Only in stores when people can't decide what to buy(electronics).

When two strangers have a conversation about something you're interested in, or knowledgeable about, do you feel inclined to chime in?

yes

Would you/do you do it to correct them about anything?

that is generally the primary reason

Make possible friends?

hopefully

You thought you just join in on a good convo?

indeed

But if you don't mind entering in strangers convos, uninvited, do you ever think its rude or make the situation awkward for them?

yes. that is why i make sure it is the sort of conversation that it would be okay with. if they are gossiping about someone i would indeed not enter in. however a conversation about music theory, i would never pass up an opportunity to not get involved with unless i am incredibly overqualified for them to hear me.

Would a J more likely do this than a P?

neither and both. perhaps more of an E/I thing in general. INTPs are inclined to have everything make sense and INTJs are inclined to understand everything (would be correcting them to confirm knowledge or gain corrected insight for themselves) however would an Introvert feel inclined to be bold enough to ask? when i was a kid i always used to talk to strangers even as an introvert. then i stopped when i lost the confidence. i have recently started again after having worked on being more Extroverted.

I'm amazed how many of you would jump into other people's conversation.

I find it very rude if someone joins a conversation I'm having with someone, especially because it's got nothing to do with you and if I wanted to speak to you I would do so, and since I'm not, then back the hell off and mind your own business. It doesn't matter how "strongly" you feel about the subject, your opinion is yours and you've got no right to interrupt a conversation I'm having with someone else. Therefore I never interrupt others. As an INTJ, I don't like to talk anyways, especially to strangers.

As a matter of fact, if someone does it, I just stop talking and wait till the interrupter leaves, and then carry on with the person I initially was talking.