Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

Selene

What was the last movie you saw?

3,755 posts in this topic

Feel free to share your mini reviews or feelings about the last movie you saw.

I watched Ghost Protocol last week and it's pretty entertaining for a mainstream Hollywood movie. Wasn't expecting much considering sequels usually don't live up to the originals. The action scenes were pretty well done, especially the sandstorm sequence in Dubai.

I'll probably download that.

Last one I saw.. Ravenous! It's a unique movie, and I won't spoil it by saying too much. It's set in 19th century California and basically revolves around a military base used mostly as a camp for passing pioneers. Since it's winter, no one is passing through and the soldiers have little on their hands. Until a guy arrives who claims he was attacked by cannibals. If that's not interesting, this ain't worth your time. The soundtrack is co-done by Damon Albarn. It stars Guy Pearce, Robert Carlyle and the principal from Ferris Bueller who it turns out is an amazing character actor. Full zibber recommendation.

Horror films are great and the reviews look decent on IMBD too. Will check it out this weekend lol!

Jin-Roh The wolf Brigade. Well, it is a political thriller set in alternative reality, where japan was occupied by germans - only this is enough to make a great movie and it really is.

Hugo. I went in with no expectations, and I was pleasantly surprised. Scorsese managed to produce and direct yet another good film, and this time, with a nice homage to film history.

Contagion. It's about the possibility of a pandemic, how it's spread, how the bureaucracy would approach handling it, how survival instincts kick in, how it affects relationships, how we grieve, and how opportunities can be seized through a crisis.

Incendies.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1255953/

Was fun watching because of the unhumanity. Nothing special, though. It just creates tension a lot. It goes quite far in inhumanity, so much I couldn't really sleep well that night, if you've seen the movie you'll know what I'm talking about. I find it really hard to imagine everything in the movie could happen for real, even the little things.

6/10

The last movie I saw period was The Time Traveler's Wife, but that was about the 3rd or 4th time I've watched it. For those not familiar with the story, the main character randomly travels in time and space, always in the same city as he has always lived, and often to important events in his life. He leaves his clothes and possessions behind every time, so each event is a dangerous adventure for him. Early in his adulthood he meets a woman who has known him at various older ages since she was a child. The movie (and the book, of course, which I unfortunately have not read) is basically about their relationship and life together, along with a few other people that are involved in their lives.

The last movie I saw for the first time...I can't remember. The first thing that comes to mind is Inception, but I've probably seen something since then.

wasnt this a really long thread awhile back? i've posted in it before.

i saw pina in 3d and it made me sort of light headed. note to self: 3d movies make you sick, try to avoid them.

Last movie I saw in theaters was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I like the Swedish version, but Fincher's version blew it out of the water in pretty much every way. I hope he does the 2nd and 3rd movies, too.

Last movie I watched at home was Hanna. Pretty awesome for what it is.

House of Voices

Really cool atmospheric movie. Pascal Laugier`s first. More of a horror-suspense deal opposed to the grim brutality of Martyrs. Though I love this movie, I`m pretty sure I only put it on so I could gawk at Virginie Ledoyen during study breaks. :lovestruck:

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

I already seen the original BBC miniseries, therefore I am well acquainted with the stories and its characters. The movies did an adequate job on the story telling part, the pace was good.

While it did feel a little rushed at certain parts, but I think I am maybe overly sensitive to such ploy, because I knew the developments of the story beforehand. So I think for most, this wouldn’t be an issue.

The biggest issue with the movie lies within its character developments, the miniseries was 7 episodes long, timed just under 5 and half hours, so there was ample time to showcase the dynamic relationship between each of the characters.

The drive and motivation behind each of the supporting characters is not nearly as pronounced in this two hour film version, they are demoted to the usual insipid two dimensional characters, while others became nothing more than fillers.

There were couple of miscasts in minor roles, but over all this is a very strong cast. As much as I loved Alec Guinness’ portrayal of George Smiley, I think Gary Oldman held his own on this one nicely. They did a good job for the ending, it finished strongly. I am sure the sequel "The Honourable Schoolboy" or “Smiley’s people” is already in the works.

To fully appreciate the character of George Smiley, you will have to either read the books or watch the original miniseries.

Edited by Nostalgia

Quite frustrating waiting for Hugo's box office and DVD release, but I hope it's worth the wait!

TTSS reminded me of a pretty old but very good movie, The Lives of Others. That was why I picked up a copy a few weeks back. Switched off from it an hour in though, agree there are too many characters to absorb in limited time but I guess your recommendation warrants a second viewing.

Girl With Dragon Tattoo is what I plan on watching in the theatres this weekend, but only because it belongs to D. Fincher. Having seen the 2 sequels may have downplayed how impressed I was with the Swedish original at first. Noomi Rapace's performance was electrifying.

Incendies... I've had this one for over a year but somehow it didn't sit well 10 minutes in. If you're into foreign films try A Separation. It's unexpectedly good, the drama is not overly self important and the characters are realistically written. I like how it reflects the changing social mores in Iran, there were so many complex questions raised using clean and simple cinematic strokes.

I will watch Jin-Roh The Wolf Brigade next, refreshing change from the usual genres and reviews are pretty decent.

Funny People - it's about standup comedy and I watched it because I've been pretty interested in standup lately.

The most recent film I saw was The Devil Inside. It sucked. Not impressive in the least.

Yeah I agree, even though I know the story of tinker tailor soldier spy beforehand, I still had to pay my uttermost attention to the film, while watching it. There was a lot of "fill in the blank" moments. All the flashback adds to the confusion, I can see why it can turn people off.

Jin roh is a excellent film, don't let the animation aspect fool you, it is a profound and thoughtful movie. A film that creatively and superbly captures all the subtle psychological anguish and inner emotional turmoils of its characters . Actually in a way, it is another look at the shadowy and seedy world of intelligence gathering and counter intelligence operations. I hope you will enjoy it!

We watched American Gangster last night. It was realistic to the time period, and I appreciated the understated acting. I really enjoyed it.

I'm a fan of Ridley Scott. His ability to create an ambient environment is incredible. You always feel immersed in the world he's developing.

Blue Valentine

It resonated w/ me highly in many of my experiences w/ intimate relationships. I thought it was one of the most down to earth portrayals of a relationship I had seen in a movie. I ended up hating the lead female's character to a certain extent. If this was a romantic film its one of the only ones that I actually related to and seemed much more multidimensional than standard chick flicks/romance movies. Those feel very foreign, predictable, and two-dimensional to me. I also liked the way is was filmed. The movie also confirmed my current stance of avoiding a long-term intimate significant other.

Edited by aok

Depends on medium. In a theatre, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1. On TV, Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, extended edition.

A Separation - won the golden globe for best foreign film, absolutely superb IMHO.

If it's showing in a theater near you I'd definitely go and watch; I haven't seen such a solid movie in quite some time.