Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

Avalonlord

Tolkien's Characters and MBTI

55 posts in this topic

Lord of the Rings

Gandalf INTJ (Wizard Odin)

Aragorn INTJ (Warrior/King Odin)

Saruman INTJ & Sauron INTJ (The Dark side of Odin)

Galadriel INFJ

Haldir ISTP

Legolas INFJ

Elrond INTJ

Arwen ENFP

Eowyn ESFJ

Eomer ESTP

Theodon ISTJ

Gimli ESTJ

Grima Wormtongue INFP

Denethor ISTJ

FaramirINFP

Boromir ENFJ

Pippan ESFP

Merry ESTP

Sam ISFJ

Frodo INFP

Bilbo ESFJ

Gollum/Smeagol ISFP

The Hobbit /There and Back Again

Gandalf INTJ (Wizard Odin)

Elrond INTJ

Bilbo ESFJ

Gollum/Smeagol ISFP

Smaug

Thorin Oakshield

Dwalin

Ori

Bifur

Gloin

Beorn

Bard

Tom, Bert, Bill

Master of Lake Town

The Silmarillion

Children of Hurin

I read somewhere that Tolkein based Gandalf on C.S. Lewis, so INTJ seems like it should be right. Or maybe it confirms that Tolkein saw Lewis as INTJ?

I read somewhere that Tolkein based Gandalf on C.S. Lewis, so INTJ seems like it should be right. Or maybe it confirms that Tolkein saw Lewis as INTJ?

I don't know, but I do know that Tolkien loved Norse mythology.

Gandalf is a guide much like Aragorn and he is not there to destroy the ring for Middle Earth because he knows that is Frodo's fate not his.

128802477978685746.jpg

In Norse mythology: Odin is not only a wise wizard but also a warrior and king. He has both a good side and a bad side.

Biggest question I have is Aragorn. As difficult as I perceive him to be, I just don't get the INTJ vibe that the others give. Seems like maybe an INFJ, with his "fuck the throne" approach; he was only willing to become king as necessary to win the war. Maybe even INFP accounting for his life as Strider. Also, his N just isn't that strong to me, maybe it's possible he's an ISFx?

Biggest question I have is Aragorn. As difficult as I perceive him to be, I just don't get the INTJ vibe that the others give. Seems like maybe an INFJ, with his "fuck the throne" approach; he was only willing to become king as necessary to win the war. Maybe even INFP accounting for his life as Strider. Also, his N just isn't that strong to me, maybe it's possible he's an ISFx?

Introversion (Ranger and wants to go into the Paths of the Dead alone)

Intuition - can see the "Big Picture"

Thinking-::: Thinking before he went into the Paths of the Dead and he entered, not caring (Feeling) much about Gimli, Legolas or the Horses. Taking his relationship and commitments with Arwen seriously and doesn't really care if Eowyn likes him. Tendency to believe that he is always right. Not afraid to tell the truth, even if he hurts the feelings of others.

In the Film

Legolas: Look at them. They're frightened. You can see it in their eyes.

[All the men turn to look at him] (INFJ)

Legolas: [in Elvish] And they should be. Three hundred... against ten thousand!

Aragorn: [in Elvish] They have a better chance defending themselves here than at Edoras...

Legolas: [in Elvish] Aragorn... they cannot win this fight. They are all going to die! (INFJ)Aragorn: [in Men/English] Then I shall die as one of them! (INTJ)

(If he was a Feeling type, He would have said that in Elvish so he doesn't scare the other Men, but by saying it so that the other Men can hear him it makes them think that he is brave, loyal and worth fighting beside).

Legolas: [prepares bow and arrow] You would die before your stroke fell.

[Rohirrim point spears at Legolas] (INFJ, defending Gimli)Aragorn: [signals for Legolas to bring down his weapon] I am Aragorn, son of Arathorn. This is Gimli, son of Gloin, and Legolas of the Woodland Realm. We are friends of Rohan, and of Theoden, your King.

(INTJ, Logical thinking/planning to make peace instead of saying what Legolas did).

(Odin introduces himself in Norse mythology like that.)

Judgment "Planning"

Legolas: Hurry! Frodo and Sam have reached the eastern shore.(INFJ) [Aragorn does not move] (INTJ, thinking)Legolas: You mean not to follow them. (INFJ "Feeling")Aragorn: Frodo's fate is no longer in our hands. (INTJ, much like Gandalf)Gimli: Then it has all been in vain. The fellowship has failed. (ESTJ)Aragorn: Not if we hold true to each other.

[pause] (Thinking)

Aragorn: We will not abandon Merry and Pippin to torment and death. Not while we have strength left. Leave all that can be spared behind. We travel light. Let's hunt some Orc. (INTJ, planning)

1978 film

Aragorn: [as Boromir's funeral boat floats away] Either we take the last boat and follow Frodo, or we follow the orcs on foot. (INTJ Planning)Legolas: Pippin and Merry may be dead by now, we don't know. (INFJ, Feeling)Aragorn: We cannot forsake them... the fate of the ringbearer is my hands no longer, the company of the Ring has played it's part. (INTJ)Aragorn: We follow the orcs! (INTJ)

Gandalf is one friggin' lame INTJ if his grand plan for the journery through Moira is winging it at the door with Speak Friend, stopping to read books telling him the obvious news that "Yes, everyone is dead", and letting himself get sacrificed to a Balrog. Great plan. Wonderful.

his apotheosis into the white wizard is a staple of the monomyth; LOTR was being written concurrently with Joseph Campbell's monomyth, and was an influence. Plus, Gandalf didn't intend to sacrifice himself; he smote his enemy and laid his ruin upon the mountainside :)

Seems to be a classic case of the ol' blind-ego-admiration syndrome: Admire yourself, find yourself admiring someone else, find yourself in the person you're admiring.

Of course, I've never read the books, only seen the movies...but I can't think of a single INTJ character there...and maybe that's my error right there, and the error is mine. But still....Aragorn? Really? I could see Gandalf as a weak "maybe," but not a chance for Aragorn. I think you're cherry picking attributes.

Based solely on the movies, about the only character I can think of that seems INTJ to me is Galadriel.

(Sauron and Sarumon being INTJs is a given, since they're the primary villains ;) )

Gandalf is one friggin' lame INTJ if his grand plan for the journery through Moira is winging it at the door with Speak Friend, stopping to read books telling him the obvious news that "Yes, everyone is dead", and letting himself get sacrificed to a Balrog. Great plan. Wonderful.

I blame Frodo. Gandalf originally wanted to go over the mountains but Saruman stopped them and they needed an alternative... then Gandalf said, "Let the Ring-bearer decide", Frodo decided, and the rest is history.

But then again... why did Gandalf let Frodo decide if Gandalf was an INTJ?? OK, maybe Gandalf really is a bad INTJ.

I would not overuse the INTJ there, read all his books by JRRT long time ago, maybe I could figure out some characters a bit but certainly you used too many INTJ there.

Aragorn INTJ, dream about it...

And there was lots of 'S' as usual, tradition etc.

Elrond maybe ISTJ.

Gandalf is usually said to be INTJ, I don't why but his planning was pretty bad, what type is he is hard to say.

Elrond was a little too future-oriented to be ISTJ; that was pretty much his niche in the trilogy, continually telling Liv Tyler "omg, nothing but epic doom and gloom and teh AIDS for you if you stay here." And Aragorn was too here-and-now to be an INTJ. Probably ISTP for him.

Elrond was a little too future-oriented to be ISTJ; that was pretty much his niche in the trilogy, continually telling Liv Tyler "omg, nothing but epic doom and gloom and teh AIDS for you if you stay here." And Aragorn was too here-and-now to be an INTJ. Probably ISTP for him.

All the ISTJs that I know are VERY future oriented.

Elrond was a little too future-oriented to be ISTJ; that was pretty much his niche in the trilogy, continually telling Liv Tyler "omg, nothing but epic doom and gloom and teh AIDS for you if you stay here."

Sounds like inferior Ne shooting off at the mouth, declaring DOOOM.

All the ISTJs that I know are VERY future oriented.

Please explain.

Sounds like inferior Ne shooting off at the mouth, declaring DOOOM.

Didn't realize inferior functions largely defined one's character.

I would guess Elrond is INTP, and Gandalf fits INTJ best--but not well. There is absolutely no way, however, that Aragorn is INTJ.

Please explain.

I don't think one's time focus-- either being past/present minded, or future minded-- is determined at all by the S/N functions. Sensors seem to trust tested institutions to provide a future for themselves, while intuitives prefer their own creative approach, but both have the capacity to be either future minded, or past/present minded.

I'd hazard to say that most of the "good" guys in the LOTR series are sensors for this reason, particularly Aragorn. He has no "master plan" that he thinks is going to succeed. He's just DOING, on faith alone, because that's the code he lives by. Recall his final to-the-death march on the black gate to distract Sauron? He had no tangible idea that Frodo was anywhere near mount doom, it was just a random shot in the dark.

An INTJ would start bargaining with Sauron at that point, much like Sarumon.

And I don't think you can type Gandalf, because he's too far above humanity. He's got secrets we don't know, and I cant' see him being bound to the same mental checks and balances of regular human beings.

I find it hard to believe that Gandalf is an INTJ. He had a hypothesis about Bilbo's ring being the Ring of Sauron. He then spent a YEAR, travelling around, to confirm his hypothesis. All this time, Sauron was gathering an army. Destroying the ring took a better part of a year. In the book, it was a very close-run thing. If you were interested in accomplishment, and consequently were focussed on stopping Sauron from returning, then the best policy would have been to destroy the ring ASAP, just in case.

Let's put it this way: If you were trusted to always have the answers (like Gandalf), Osama's followers were amassing an army of 2 billion, and many more nukes than all of the USA and NATO, would YOU spend a whole year confirming this beyond doubt, BEFORE telling anyone about it?

I know that if you were an INTP, then the answer would very likely be: "Yes. I've acted similarly before".

the best policy would have been to destroy the ring ASAP, just in case.

One does not simply walk into Mordor.

One does not simply walk into Mordor.
I quite agree. That is why I question Gandalf. An INTJ would have decided the ring needed to be destroyed, very quickly, and then spent a whole month planning how to get into Mordor, and to Mount Doom, and back, and certainly one that would not have ended up causing his death so easily.

Gandalf took a YEAR deciding that Bilbo's ring was Sauron's ring in the first place, but then spent very little time actually planning out a good route, and a plan that had lots of flaws in it.