Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

Cooper

Who Is An Alpha Male?

108 posts in this topic

People talk about the "Alpha Male" and give a description of what that is.....how about some names?

WHO is an Alpha Male? What man, living or dead, embodies that description....and why?

I think they are talking about immature animal-like alpha definitions that can relate to women who think on a similar level. So a bunch of nobodies.

I thought we used this for wolves, not men. I think men only go with it to feel more "manly".

Andrew Dice Clay

"Jack and Jill went up the hill/

I am a retarded chauvinist."

(Not necessarily an actual Dice line.)

Steve Jobs, JP Morgan, Larry Ellison, Ted Turner, Roger Staubach, JayZ.

EDIT: Why? - courage, character, intelligence, leadership, drive, humility (though this is often hard to discern)

Edited by MrFox

Very subjective. I would say, in terms of our modern disposition, anyone who is exceptional in their field: it still requires the natural traits: intelligence, strength, and perseverance.

Edited by CaelestisPeste

Steve Jobs, JP Morgan, Larry Ellison, Ted Turner, Roger Staubach, JayZ; Warrior is the closest thing to it at Forum - still a work in progress though.

EDIT: Why? - courage, character, intelligence, leadership, drive, humility (though this is often hard to discern)

wat

I would also add "walks the walk, doesn't talk the talk." Then again that probably falls under humility.

humility

Humility - false self-deprecation, is not a becoming quality in a man. Even though you do see it in some better quality men. Its kinda like a tall person developing a hunched posture to seem more normal to people who are short.

I usually think of Alpha males as ESTJ, ENTJ, ESTP types. However, I can see how an INTJ, INTP ENTP, ISTP or ISTJ could be one too.

I usually think of Alpha males as ESTJ, ENTJ, ESTP types.

:stare: no introverts...

I don't believe being sociable and outgoing can be interpreted as being alpha.

:stare: no introverts...

I don't believe being sociable and outgoing can be interpreted as being alpha.

I disagree. Being outgoing is not a defining feminine trait nor is introversion a male one. Sorry.

What if a person is naturally introverted, but is able to command attention, due to his/her professional position?

wat

I would also add "walks the walk, doesn't talk the talk." Then again that probably falls under humility.

By humility I meant to refer to the quality of recognizing one's personal weaknesses and fallibility - something Steve Jobs had to learn the hard way. Not to appearing meek in public - that's why I mentioned it might be hard to detect.

I usually think of Alpha males as ESTJ, ENTJ, ESTP types. However, I can see how an INTJ, INTP ENTP, ISTP or ISTJ could be one too.

Johnny Carson, the legendary comedian and TV host, was an introvert, as I understand it. Seems like an introvert can appear to be an extravert when he takes his persona (not himself) on stage and performs to an audience from a script of sorts - worked for me in court.

Personally I think Leonardo da Vinci was an alpha male due to his sheer genius and ability to do practically anything he put his mind to.

By humility I meant to refer to the quality of recognizing one's personal weaknesses and fallibility - something Steve Jobs had to learn the hard way. Not to appearing meek in public - that's why I mentioned it might be hard to detect.

Johnny Carson, the legendary comedian and TV host, was an introvert, as I understand it. Seems like an introvert can appear to be an extravert when he takes his persona (not himself) on stage and performs to an audience from a script of sorts - worked for me in court.

Actually I just thought about Clint Eastwood who definitely seems like an ISTJ or INTJ Alpha male as Dirty Harry.

Also, Bruce Wayne being ISTJ or INTJ

A8Kah.jpg

http://www.dailymuscle.com/2010/05/04/is-personal-training-for-everyone/

Bond. James Bond. (Especially when played by Sean Connery!)

Personally, I don't like the alpha males. I remember reading an article about the Rat Pack. Frank Sinatra was clearly the alpha male. He pretty much told everyone what to do. Contrary to his public persona, Dean Martin was actually not much of a drinker or carouser. Frank usually gave people grief if they cut out of a party early. But Dean Martin would just say, "I've got to go, I've got a girl in my room." That was a lie. He wanted to go to bed early and get up early to go golfing the next morning. I think in real life Dean Martin was an introvert. Dean was way more cool than Frank Sinatra would ever be. Theres something ever-so-sexy about a man who could have any woman in the world, and yet goes to bed alone and has an early tee-time. My aunt lived in LA. She said she would see him quietly eating alone in this Italian restaurant sometimes.

grant-allan-entertainer-dean-martin-playing-golf.jpg

Alphas tend to be borderline I/E. They're not reliant on either to be happy, but can adapt to both.

SJs can't be alpha, they have no sense of humor.