Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

TheStranger

Have you ever been accused of over-analyzing?

60 posts in this topic

I've been accused of over-analyzing multiple times, although I find it a tad agitating, I don't mind that much, considering that there are worse traits in the world to possess.

So, the title states the question, answer away...

Every time there is a status update on Facebook where someone doesn't understand something, I feel like I really have to correct them and over-analyze their question.

No one really seems to mind. It's a quirk I have.

Oh yes. In fact, I've accused myself of it as well. Most of the time, it's not a problem.

Yes, I sometimes wonder if it's like an INTJ staple to over-analyze? I've been working at it less, because I feel over-analyzing, especially against my will, is detrimental to my making forward strides in life.

Every day of my life. My father, an INTJ, even accused me of thinking too much, and he was an astrophysicist, no joke. It's a blessing and a curse.

That means then that your father had this trait to some extent as well, which you probably already know. Myself, I realized a long time ago that my father has some of my "undesirable" traits.

That means then that your father had this trait to some extent as well, which you probably already know. Myself, I realized a long time ago that my father has some of my "undesirable" traits.

You ever think that you are the one that actually has his traits? You know, since you're his kid and all, lol.

And yes, I get told that a lot. But not as an insult.

You ever think that you are the one that actually has his traits? You know, since you're his kid and all, lol.

And yes, I get told that a lot. But not as an insult.

Obviously. I didn't word that post in such a way that it would exclude your statement.

What is it that you're really asking when you state have you ever been accused of over-analyzing? :nerd:

yes, my ex would have me believe that although he didn't act like it and didn't say it that he loved me, and accused me of being too analytical because i would point out the inconsistency between his words and his behavior and ask him questions about it.

i've also been told that i ask too many questions.

Only by myself.

I realised that making a decision or taking action are solutions to moving forward.

Now, when I need to make a decision, I usually provide myself with a time limit.

I have become much more comfortable in understanding how much effort/time/research to put into making a decision.

I think I analyze things the right amount. No over-analyzing or under-analyzing. I think things through, look at them from all perspectives, draw a conclusion, and move on.

all the time.

but as of late, i've begun to appreciate things for what they are without over-analyzing them. and they tend to be the most important ones. :)

Yes, I sometimes wonder if it's like an INTJ staple to over-analyze? I've been working at it less, because I feel over-analyzing, especially against my will, is detrimental to my making forward strides in life.

My bf (ESTJ) sometimes tells me to get out of my head, 'cause it's a bad neighborhood. Sometimes she's right about that.

My poor INTP husband, he's even worse than I am.

Oh boy! Yes! 100 times yes! I've gotten better though. Doing it all in my head and telling them all the important stuff (and/or the things I think they will care about).

Yes. I've over-analyzed everything from kissing to walking to jokes. I do it naturally so when other people point it out, I usually get surprised.

Perhaps all N's do? The simple act of trying to see the big picture as opposed to what is immediately before you tends to lead to more analysis (and over analysis).

At least that is the trend I have noticed from personal experience; those that accuse me of over analysing tend to be more of sensers, in-the-now folk.

I've been accused of over-analyzing multiple times, although I find it a tad agitating, I don't mind that much, considering that there are worse traits in the world to possess.

So, the title states the question, answer away...

Ahahahahaha!

Sorry, I couldn't contain myself. Its just that...well... that statement pretty much sums up my life and how people interact with me.

Its my experience that overanalyzing has been a blessing to my professional career, its been a trial in my interpersonal relationships. Unfortunately, one can't just flip a switch, as much as I would love for such a button to exist.

You might have considered the forum in which you started such a thread.

Analyzing is what we thrive off of.

(Over-analyzing is what those without the gift of acute observation choose to call it.)

yes, my ex would have me believe that although he didn't act like it and didn't say it that he loved me, and accused me of being too analytical because i would point out the inconsistency between his words and his behavior and ask him questions about it.

i've also been told that i ask too many questions.

YES. Exactly that. This last year I was in a relationship where the guy actually quit talking to me on a deeper level because I pointed out inconsistencies with a story he told me in January, and then it changed in March. After that, it was let's talk about the weather stuff, nothing to get "caught" about crap.

Makes you wonder if ignorance is truly bliss... Being able to catch just about everyone in a lie has led to a semi-jaded view for me....

It depends on what you mean by over-analyzing. Are we talking about analyzing past the point of practical usefulness? Is there really such a thing as over-analysis? Can you really have too much data, too much thought on a given subject? I suppose there are situations where that might be inhibitive. But maybe we are talking about the simple accusation itself- which implies analysis beyond the point of someone else's understanding or use for such things? How much value does their personal estimation of what is too much hold for you? Such an accusation could mean that the accuser is hiding something, or wants you to treat a situation simply so that they can get away with something. Maybe they just want to go the easy route. Sometimes that's good, sometimes that's irresponsible. Or maybe the accuser is just intellectually lazy, or they just have no respect of knowlege for its own sake, or they don't understand the art of planning and introspection. Or maybe you are the lazy one, who will sit around thinking and thinking while others act. Wouldn't that be convenient. Of course, it's possible that your accuser may have your best interest at heart, but in what sense?

Hmmm.

I analyze everything but I keep it to myself. People will recoil if they think you're interrogating them.

On one hand, I like being able to read people like books. On the other hand, I hate knowing that almost everybody lies.