Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

larrysb

How long can you live on $100k (USD)

52 posts in this topic

How long could you live on $100,000 (USD) in cash?

Assuming that's all you had to pay rent/mortgage, health insurance, car and property insurance, taxes, food, clothing, necessities of life, utilities, debts and all the things you wanted to do and never had time to do before, travel, vacation, visit friends, etc.

It wouldn't last very long unless you move to a tropical country with a low cost of living.

It'd last a couple years at my current lifestyle, which is already fairly comfortable.

Being a broke-ass student for so long has made me really good at squeezing value out of every last penny. 5-6 years.

At least four years depending on where I lived and with how many people.

tropical country dweller here. 100k? you can make that last forever here. start a business. hopefully it's moderately successful. done.

i'd say a year or less in more developed nations.

What Nemesis said. I could do 3-4 years in New York with it if I maintained my grad school lifestyle, and 10 years in my home country very comfortably.

If I skipped the travelling bit and didn't move out of my cramped apartment, I could make it last 10 years in Canada, maybe 5 years if I splurge.

With how i live that would last a few months at best.

$100,000 would last my husband and I :

* about 5 years if neither of us worked.

* about 30 years if I stayed home, and then we could both retire.

* about 15 years if he stayed home.

I could make it last abot 10 years on my current lifestyle. Probably not worth it tought. Myabe work just a bit, about 10-15 hours a week and you could just keep on living like that for a while.

Assuming that's all you had to pay rent/mortgage, health insurance, car and property insurance, taxes, food, clothing, necessities of life, utilities, debts and all the things you wanted to do and never had time to do before, travel, vacation, visit friends, etc.

Let's see.. with $100K, I could pay off all my debt, leaving me with around $30k.

Expenses around $2k/month... So, 15 months, no travel or anything else.

Well, with that laundry list, it would certainly be a lot shorter than it could be. $100,000 would easily last me over ten years, if I chose it to.

You can live 20 years in Vietnam on 100k with cable TV, internet, good food, travel, education, entertainment, taxpayer, expenses for family consumption (conditions: already have a house)

Or : you can live 50 years relatively comfortable on 100k in Vietnam

With no changes to lifestyle, a little over four years. With changes, probably twice that.

A CEO in Ecuador told me 50K would last at least two generations for poor people.

that's if they have no relatives... they almost always do and in the dozens

Did you see that documentary on the homeless guy who was given 100k? I tried to hide the following paragraph if you are curious about it.

[HIDE=spoiler]Did you see the documentary on the homeless guy? It really pissed me off. First off, he shouldn't of bought that kid a car. Second, he got ripped off at that dealership where he bought his truck and that salesman should of been ashamed. Third, all the money grubbing trashy woman came out of the wood work. He was straight retarded with money.[/HIDE]

I think one could live for 3 years on 100k.

Edited by Synamon
fixed spoiler tag

After some quick math, I figure, that with my current lifestyle, it'd last about 5 to 8 years, give or take something...

Honestly, probably 3-5 years.

Dishonestly, but still quasi legal 5-10 years.

5 years.

5 Years modestly if I had to pay for everything. Perhaps up to 10 years if my dwelling was all paid for, there was universal health care and I own a little bit of farm land.

a little bit of farm land.

Actually, with some smart investment in farm land and equipment and the like, $100k might take me the distance.

Indefinitely if properly invested... you could probably even fail once.