Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

Syntax

Is beer a good source of probiotics?

If so...how much longer until we start seeing this fact featured in Ads? :P

Edited by Syntax

Beer uses yeast. However, the yeast die in the process of fermenting the beer due to alcohol poisoning and other treatments from the brewer (or simply lack of food due to using up all available sugars).

In other words, no.

Same goes for pretty much all alcohols -- the end result is sterile by far. You could clean an entire house with vodka. Or urine, if you felt so inclined.

I've seen people attempt to add similar probiotic bacteria to beer as those found in yogurt, but I've not seen any that were able to maintain viability of those bacteria. You'd probably be better off just washing down your beer with a yogurt.

Beer uses yeast. However, the yeast die in the process of fermenting the beer due to alcohol poisoning and other treatments from the brewer (or simply lack of food due to using up all available sugars).

In other words, no.

Same goes for pretty much all alcohols -- the end result is sterile by far. You could clean an entire house with vodka. Or urine, if you felt so inclined.

That's what I would have thought too, but I'm reading(from unreliable sources) that micro-brews actually are a good source of probiotics. Also, there is a type of fermented tea(approx .5% alcohol by volume) called kombucha that is supposed to have tons of the little critters in it.

I've seen people attempt to add similar probiotic bacteria to beer as those found in yogurt, but I've not seen any that were able to maintain viability of those bacteria. You'd probably be better off just washing down your beer with a yogurt.

Beer and yogurt? You should be a chef! ;)

Some kefir and Ginger beers are supposed to be good sources as well, but they have much less alcohol than your standard beer. Kombucha too, but I don't really like the taste.

That's what I would have thought too, but I'm reading(from unreliable sources) that micro-brews actually are a good source of probiotics. Also, there is a type of fermented tea(approx .5% alcohol by volume) called kombucha that is supposed to have tons of the little critters in it.

If they do, then they are probably sweeter and have less alcohol. They probably also have an expiration date.

Unpasteurized and unfiltered beers have yeast in them.

If you wanted to test a beer for its probiotic contents than a Barley Wine would probably be your best candidate. Vagrant is right in that they will be sweeter (hops don't last long), however, they have a lot more alcohol, generally in the 9-14 percent range. It is a beer that is cellar fermented for a few years after being bought and takes on wine like qualities and gathers complexity.

Barleywines also tend to be more expensive so if the probiotics do work, you are better off sticking to your yogurt or pill supplements.

Bigfoot Barley Wine from Sierra Nevada is one of my favorites:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/2671/

Beer is a good source of tastiness and alcohol and that's enough for me. I'll ensure proper gut flora otherwise.

Yeast do provided vitamins and minerals. However, bacteria tend to leave, at best, a sour flavor and, at worst, create something undrinkable. Regardless, most commercial brews are filtered or pasteurized anyways, eliminating almost all microbial activity.

At one point stouts were advertised as good sources of nutrition for pregnant women and invalids.

If they do, then they are probably sweeter and have less alcohol. They probably also have an expiration date.

I love Kombucha! It's actually not sweet at all; it has a somewhat vinegar-y smell and if you can get over that (hold your nose while drinking or something), the taste is really strong, and mostly tart and sour. Imagine putting ten lemons with a half spoonful of sugar into club soda and I'd think it was pretty similar.

And I believe it has tons of "critters" in it; in fact, you can actually see tons of little "hops" or whatever they are, floating around. I have a really weakened digestive system from my travels and will get this drink sporadically because I feel like it helps not only digestion but gives me a little boost of energy; I feel healthier overall.

As for the alcohol content, I can attest to this as well. My friend and I were drinking this on the beach once and whether it was the sun or we're just lightweights, we definitely felt a little "tipsy", heh. Ok, so I guess think of those same ten lemons/sugar/club soda and wine cooler :p