Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

Marcus Septim

Analyzing Humor

48 posts in this topic

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog,few people are interested and the frog dies

That is not a really a great quote too analyze humor,but here goes,five interesting things about jokes

1.Your sense of humor is like your sexual preference:Its a very individual thing that defines you and its inherit in your identity but about which you have very little control,the type of things that you find funny much like the things that turn you on sexualy is not something you get too choose but rather a reflexe action

You might wanna be a heterosexual and like high-minded chatter,but instead you are BDSM and you like silly jokes about animals,you don't get too choose

What kind of jokes do you like?

A.Childish?:whats orange and sounds like a parrot?:A parrot

B.Surreal?:Two muffins are on the grill one of em turns and says:*Aaa I'm on fire* and the other says *Ohh my god a talking muffin*

C.Anthropomorphic:What did the slug said to the snail?:Tissue sir?

D.Ironic:I'm a compulsive gambler,my wife has left me,how can i win her back?

E.Political:I would kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

F.Gross out:How do you make a dog drink?,Put him in a blender

There is no wrong or right,if you laugh is funny,if you didn't then it wasn't

Some people find me funny,some people..find me sexually attractive;)^^

There is no accounting for taste

2.All jokes are the same:There is a infinite variety of executions,but they all work the same way

Basically its the sudden revelation of a previously concealed fact

More explanation required?Right you are:Set-up - Punchline - Laugh

The Set up forces you to make an assumption and the assumption you where forced into making seemed to be ironious by the sudden revelation imparted in the punchline

Your surprized and delighted and you laugh

Example:I'm a fairly modern man,i have no problem buying tampons(Set-up,assumption)

But apparently they are not a proper present:P

3.The oldest joke in the Book:Philogelos:Greek Text meaning the laughter lover

4.The dark side:Telling a joke is a very bonding thing,is like saying to someone i like you and i want you to like me,which can be a little candid and awkward,much easier too say that with a joke

Which might explain why jokes are of such importance in Greece,where we would be without our sense of humor?

Germany?

There is a warm sense of belonging,usually at the expense of another group!

5.A.The basic rules of telling a joke:Pick your time and your place,the'll be other funerals

I know it sounds obvious,but you should know the punchline before you start,don't start with it

B.Keep it short,one mans laughter,its another mans incoherent humiliation;)

C.Enjoy it:Its only a joke,if you are all tense and competitive about it and your entire self worth rests on the laughter you receive you wont enjoy it

BUT it might indicate that your borderline personality could say jokes for a living

JOIN US..join us..Join us..

Edited by Marcus Septim

Nice break down of the anatomy of humor.

Great post, I get a lot of joy out of comedy, and many different types too. I don't mind analyzing it and learning why it's funny either, but thats probably just an INTJ thing :P. But I'm not completely sure that ALL jokes are sudden revelations of previously concealed facts. I'll need to think about this further and see if I can come up with a counter example.

Interesting. I found jokes A through F funny.

I can't tell a joke to save my life. Maybe it's an INTx thing? I don't like that all the attention is on me when I'm telling one.

I liked the muffin joke for a moment because it reminded me of a old friends that I once had. Then I remember how crazy she was.. then the joke was ruined for me.

I will remember these things the next time I tell a joke and feel that I am in a vague way saying to others 'I like you lets be pals.' But then I will catch myself in the act and have a distant look that others will mistake for depression.

i am horrible at telling jokes. but i accidentally say stupid funny things all the time. i liked all your jokes, i think so many things are funny, i have a hard time telling sometimes just how funny something is because it might be funny to me and no one else. but there are some things that pass for humor that dont make me laugh at all.

mostly i like off-the-wall absurd things. so the categories childish, surreal, anthropomorphic, ironic, political and sometimes gross all can apply. sometimes the delivery makes all the difference; i like a good straight man.

1.Your sense of humor is like your sexual preference:Its a very individual thing that defines you and its inherit in your identity but about which you have very little control,the type of things that you find funny much like the things that turn you on sexualy is not something you get too choose but rather a reflexe action

i would agree. would you also say that one's sense of humor correlates with their view on the world/hummanity? my boyfriend and i were discussing that theory the other night.

for example, i have very dark, satirical, dry, sarcastic sense of humor and i hold a very absurdist veiw of the world. parker (my boyfriend) has a more light-hearted stairical sense of humor and holds a very existentialist view of the world. thoughts?

I was the class clown in high school and humor was my crutch for my lack of self esteem. I never really told jokes, but I was good at integrating inside jokes together. Whenever something happens to remind me of an old inside joke I always just laugh in my head and remember the good times.

I still remember the first time I was told the talking muffing joke, haha.

I thought all those jokes where humorous, but one category was left out. Toilet Humor. I'm not sure why, but I despise toilet humor. It almost ruins a good television show or film for me.

Were asking for us to place jokes in this thread? I thought you were just trying to give your point of view of humor and expect us to contribute to this breakdown (points and counter points).

Marcus, what a wonderful way to not only define humour but make it fun. The Surreal, Ironic and Political examples, all made me smile or laugh. Thanks!

It's true about how jokes are setup since it's the surprise factor that triggers laughter. While I'm not into slapstick, the surprise factor of someone falling down in an ungainly manner, triggers laughter in most people.

Hmm a few random jokes maybe that will attract people in write some on their own

1.People with turrets,what makes them tick?That was originally about suicide bomber i've toned it down for you!!

2.If we are god's children,what makes Jesus so special?

3.99% of women kiss with their eyes closed,which is why is so difficult to identify a rappist !!

4.There is nothing being wrong with being working class these days,its just like masturbation nothing to ashamed off,of course nothing to be proud of either and both give callouses on your hands:P

5.I there by have a pregnad woman standing in the bus stop

that a fat girl sitting down crying,you just want the earth to open up....and swallow her..

1:We keep trying to evolve and religion keeps pressing B. (think pokemon)

2: Emo is goth for pussies.

3: Why did they call it "PMS"? Cause "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken.

In case you haven't analyzed and quantified humor enough, Microsoft has created a professional development rubric for competency in humor.

Of interest are these examples of "negative" humor below the rubric:

Overdoing Humor

• May disrupt group process with untimely or inappropriate humor

• May use humor to deflect real issues and problems

• May use humor to criticize others and veil an attack

• May use humor to deliver sarcasm or cynicism

• May be perceived as immature or lacking in appropriate seriousness

• His/her humor may be misinterpreted

I declare this rubric biased against INTJs!

I go back and forth between extremely witty and just plain goofy.

p.s. sarcasm is my favorite thing.

I go back and forth between extremely witty and just plain goofy.

p.s. sarcasm is my favorite thing.

Well give us both,its an open threat about humor,soo have at it;)

Well give us both,its an open threat about humor,soo have at it;)

I can't be funny on demand. I'm an ENFP. It has to be organic and spontaneous.

I can't be funny on demand. I'm an ENFP. It has to be organic and spontaneous.

Ok humor us when you feel like it,spintaneously and organicly:P

[HIDE=What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs when he's in a swimming pool?]Bob[/HIDE]

[HIDE=What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs when he's in a hot tub?]Stu[/HIDE]

[HIDE=What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs water skiing?]Skip[/HIDE]

[HIDE=What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs sitting beside a hole?]Doug[/HIDE]

[HIDE=What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs inside a hole?]Phil[/HIDE]

[HIDE=What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs hanging on the wall?]Art[/HIDE]

[HIDE=What do you call a guy with no arms and no legs and no head and ho tosro?]Dick[/HIDE]

1.I had a friend in school that used to selfharm because he was bullied,i was thinking:Which side are you on?

2.Whenever i see a Goth,i don't see a person,i see two disapointed parents:P,He was such a nice boy and now he looks like a slutty gal:P

3.I've got a lot of nieces and nepfews is the nice way of saying,my sister is a slu:P

the Idiot Savant

(48% dark, 54% spontaneous, 42% vulgar)

your humor style:

VULGAR | SPONTANEOUS | LIGHT

You like things silly, immediate, and, above all, outrageous. Ixne on the subtle word play, more testicles on fire, please. People like you are the most likely to RECEIVE internet forwards--and also the most likely to save them in a special folder entitled 'HOLY SHIT'.

Because it's so easily appreciated, and often wacky and physical, your sense of humor never ceases to amuse your friends. Most realize that there's a sly intelligence and a knowing wink to your tastes. Your sense of humor could be called 'anti-pretentious'--but paradoxically enough, that indicates you're smarter than most.

PEOPLE LIKE YOU: Johnny Knoxville - Jimmy Kimmel

549459927885282447.gif

The link to the test - http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=17565214125862764376

;) :) ;D

the Provacateur

(57% dark, 31% spontaneous, 47% vulgar)

your humor style:

VULGAR | COMPLEX | DARK

You'll crack on anything, and you're often witty, even caustic, about it.

Therefore, your sense of humor is polarizing. You're transgressive, and you've got a seriously sharp 'edge'--maybe too much for some folks. If they get you, people think you're one of the funniest (and smartest) people in the world. If they don't, they think you're an ass. Whatever, right? While some might question your judgement, your comic intellect is unquestionably respected.

PEOPLE LIKE YOU: Chris Rock - Lenny Bruce - George Carlin

Very true, I LOVE George Carlin

the Idiot Savant

(48% dark, 46% spontaneous, 53% vulgar)

your humor style:

VULGAR | SPONTANEOUS | LIGHT

You like things silly, immediate, and, above all, outrageous. Ixne on the subtle word play, more testicles on fire, please. People like you are the most likely to RECEIVE internet forwards--and also the most likely to save them in a special folder entitled 'HOLY SHIT'.

Because it's so easily appreciated, and often wacky and physical, your sense of humor never ceases to amuse your friends. Most realize that there's a sly intelligence and a knowing wink to your tastes. Your sense of humor could be called 'anti-pretentious'--but paradoxically enough, that indicates you're smarter than most.

PEOPLE LIKE YOU: Johnny Knoxville - Jimmy Kimmel

Poop jokes are funny. So is watching a fella hit a golf ball with his crown jewels.