Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

Tarrick

Favorite Non-Computer Games

84 posts in this topic

What are your favorite games? I'm excluding computer games in this simply to gauge a more specific type of game.

I for one, like Chess. I would also say Risk, but dice games in general don't like me.

I used to play monopoly as a kid, but people didn't like playing with me because I was too cut throat. I mean, the point of the game was to beat everyone else right? :D I eventually told my brother and sister at one point that 'If you're making a deal with me, it's because I feel it's in my better interest.' Which is inherently obvious... why would you make a deal if you didn't feel it would benefit you? But yeah... they stopped trading with me after that which kind of killed the game.

I got into chess a bit when I was younger too, but I never had people to play with. My mom would play with me, but after I yelled out 'Yay! I win again!' in a public setting, she was too embarrassed to keep playing, and so I guess I stopped too. It's funny, because chess isn't something I'd consider as one of my skills sets, so when people ask me if I'm any good, I'll tell them no. But I think I'm actually kind of decent since I tend to beat most people, even some big braggers.

Other than that... not many board games :x

Go. It's really hard to find people to play in person, though. Playing over the internet just isn't cool enough.

I used to play monopoly as a kid, but people didn't like playing with me because I was too cut throat.

So someone else does understand how bloodthirsty that game is! When we use to play it, we had to leave all our "hardware" in the other room...or something like that.

The point of the game was to win, I mean that's how the rules went. How is it even supposed to end everyone is 'being nice' and refuses to bankrupt people. If they were short a dollar, I showed no mercy! Bwahaha.

I'd fancy myself a chess player (I refuse to live without having a board available), but I know almost nobody IRL to play with, and I was never that good anyway :p Played a lot in high school, though. That, and Magic: The Gathering (before it was hugely popular...I guess I got bored with it?)

The last game I played that I enjoyed was Settlers of Catan, and one of its offshoots. I think it was Seafarers. Among friends, we play stuff like Scattergories (my favorite...I always do well), Scene It, and other random stuff lately like Cranium.

Yeah. No one expect my 8 year old brother ever wants to play with me anymore on a regular basis. Back in my last year of High School I played almost every week with friend of mine during Study Hall at the end of the day.

I despise board games of almost all natures. Mostly because the vast majority of them are luck based, monopoly being of the most detested because it 'feigns' a reliance on skill, and bases success on someone else's incompetance. Chess used to be enjoyable until I discovered it was simply a more complicated version of tic-tac-toe - There are only so many moves available for each other move, and winning is essentially memorizing all of the counters for each move. I prefer not to get to involved lest it ruin the entertainment value and turn it into some deathmatch between the other player.

Games that I do enjoy are things like tackle football (only the tackling part), (kick)-boxxing, or anything else that pits pure skill against skill - no luck involved, and in an activity that I can scale myself down in order to assist the other player to perform better next time, and maybe even beat me XD. Note that this relates only to playing .. not watching.

I like most board games that are based on more than luck (I can't stand those). Pictionary is fun, but it's not very often that there are that many people in one spot at the same time who want to play it. Scrabble is one of my favorites.

Warning to all who like finishing their games rather than turning it into a debate session over the rules: Don't EVER invite Evalis along to play scrabble with you!

... anything else that pits pure skill against skill - no luck involved...

Trouble with that is that luck is woven into everything. How many times has a Football play changed dramatically based on a hop of the football? Yes, some things involved luck a lot more then others, but you can't say "no luck involved."

As for chess...it makes it lot more interesting when you play with someone while chatting, which brings in psychology and bluffing.

That's why I said the tackling part only :P

And actually I forgot to mention my love of tabletop RPGs. Mainly because the goal isn't so much to win as it is to participate in, and assist with, forging an engaging story. Dungeons and Dragons, GURPS and Shadowrun are some of the RPGs I enjoy ^^

Yeah. I played Shadowrun a few years back, and my friends and I are currently trying to put together a Steampunk GURPS.

Some of the games i like to play are

cribbage

Egyptian Ratscrew( i Like to abuse peoples hands :) )

War

Rummy

and Scrabble

Zombie Town, Arkham Horror, Settlers of Catan, Dungeons and Dragons, Call of Cthulhu. I used to play Magic The Gathering, but I haven't really played seriously for a long time. I sometimes play with my brother in law since he plays, but he's not very good. So it's not that fun to play with him.

D&D, chess, Axis and Allies, Risk, Stratego, any word game. Someone mentioned it earlier about the dice in Monopoly, I feel ya.

1. poker (my friends HATE me hehehe)

2. dungeons and dragons

3. monopoly

4. spin the bottle (lol... inquisition time!)

I used to play monopoly as a kid, but people didn't like playing with me because I was too cut throat.

So someone else does understand how bloodthirsty that game is! When we use to play it, we had to leave all our "hardware" in the other room...or something like that.

I love playing Monopoly! I especially love beating my arrogant, egotistical, loud-mouthed son. Usually, the game ends up with us two grinding the rest of the players into the dust and then facing off across the board.

Does that sound bad? ;)

Jigsaw puzzles

I learned early that no one else had fun when I was so intent on winning. So I just...err...play with myself ;D

Yeah Chess is great but its is best in person. Risk is fun but its not terribly strategic. Axis Allies was great but it so much bureaucracy, i prefer to play it on the PC, Stratego was fun to but too simple. I find most card games boring because chance plays to great a role in them but i believe most INTJ's would be good at poker. I have been tryin to learn Go but it is like nothing I have done before.

I have been tryin to learn Go but it is like nothing I have done before.

Are you enjoying it, though?

I am a very big chess fan, and would gladly take any of you on on Yahoo Chess if you wanted to. I never like Checkers or any other board game. Just chess, it's a great strategy game.

For those that enjoy a non-luck based game that is also social, try Puerto Rico.