Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

Aleph-One

INTJs in fiction.

1,238 posts in this topic

Good, fully developed INTJs rarely show up in the movies.  When INTJs do show up, they're usually of the "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die" ilk, and that annoys me.  This might be a good place to track down INTJ characters who aren't Emperor Ming.  Of course most of the posts in this thread will be open to contention, so arguing over whether the character is an INTJ or not is as much a part of this discussion as anything else.

I'll start with one of the best INTJ film/fiction characters ever.

lecter.jpg

I can't claim this list is original, but here are a few more alleged fictional INTJs:

Dr House (House)

Frank Pembleton (Homicide: Life on the Street)

Gandalf the Grey/Mithrandir the White (Lord of the Rings)

Ensign Ro (Star Trek--the Next Generation)

Miranda Hobbes (Sex and the City)

Clarice Starling (Silence of the Lambs/Hannibal)

Professor Severus Snape (Harry Potter)

Not totally related, but Homicide was an amazing show, and Andre Braugher's performance as Pembleton was unreal. To keep on topic, I would say that Munch was a better INTJ - unless you count Pembleton's stroke being a result of his emotional explosiveness.

Hannibal is probably one of the two most realistic portrayals of an INTJ I've ever seen, aside from some James Bond supervilains.

The only positive strongly INTJ protagonist that I can think of off the top of my head is the character George Smiley from the John le Carre cold-war spy novels. The BBC produced a couple of the books in the form of a 7-part series then a 6-part series for another book a few years later, both starring Alec Guinness as George Smiley. It's very consistent throughout because it closely follows the novels. I'm not certain, but I would expect that the George Smiley character is based on a real person (or very similar real people) and not on idealized bits of many different people as is often the case in fiction...

I'd say the Jason Bourne is a INTJ. Considering this attitude in general, the I is definite and his analytical thinking pegs him as a NT. Given all that, I would also submit that his methodicalness is indicative of being J.

Any arguments?

concerning Law and Order: although I love Munch, i think he has more a genuine emotional draw into cases that really might indicate him outside of the INTJ category. How about the pychologist played by B.D. Wong? He's my vote, and one of my favorite characters.

Dr House (House)

My sister and I played the type House characters game the other day and came to the conclusion that House had to be an S, and probably an ISTP. Stacy seems the most INTJ to me.

Also, Ayn Rand characters and Mr. Fantastic. Comic characters are kind of inconsistent at times, though.

I can only hope that someone as awesome as House is an INTJ... he certainly acts like one if that's any help.

Stubborn, always thinks he's right, leads from where not many people can see him, ect ect...

May I mention Mr. Darcy (no I haven't read Pride and Prejudice yet, yes I've been living under a rock all these years) so i can't really say much. But from what I hear, he was a great character.

Which brings me to say, it's easier to be a INTJ guy than an INTJ gal.

*sigh*

*sigh*

That's because everyone expects that guys can act like we do. It's a rather big shock when a girl does it. But you already knew that.

Also, I believe that Sherlock Holmes would be a very good example of a INTJ in fiction.

Let me just post a list I ripped off typelogic.com

Cassius (Julius Caesar)

Mr. Darcy (Pride and Prejudice)

Gandalf the Grey (J. R. R. Tolkein's Middle Earth books)

Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs)

Professor Moriarty, Sherlock Holmes' nemesis

Ensign Ro (Star Trek--the Next Generation)

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern (Hamlet)

George Smiley, John le Carre's master spy

Clarice Starling (Silence of the Lambs)

I don't care that I'm repeating names... don't tell me... :thinking:

Dr House (House)

My sister and I played the type House characters game the other day and came to the conclusion that House had to be an S, and probably an ISTP. Stacy seems the most INTJ to me.

Also, Ayn Rand characters and Mr. Fantastic. Comic characters are kind of inconsistent at times, though.

I was going to mentions Ayn Rand's characters. Of course, she was in fact an INTJ herself. She gave her characters many heroic qualities, though.

I was going to mentions Ayn Rand's characters.  Of course, she was in fact an INTJ herself.  She gave her characters many heroic qualities, though.

Speaking of Ayn Rand, it might be worth mentioning Bioshock. The game is essentially Ayn Rand come to digital-life. One of the antagonists is called Andrew Ryan, and he's created the dystopia that the application of Ayn Rand's thinking could eventually lead to. I haven't played much of it myself, so I don't know how accurate the claim is, but chances are that he's an INTJ, too.

That's interesting. I personally want to install Bioshock on my computer since it has secureware. Such an evil program.

Once or twice...

Never thought of him as an INTJ though...

What would you have pinned him as?

Apparently I'm not as well versed in this personality typing as everyone else on here seems to be. I'm finding it odd that you are all like "oh I work with a QTFM and blah, blah, blah" (and yes I know that's not a real type). I definitely don't know enough about the different types for me to be able to that.

I was pretty much going by this criteria when mentioning him:

Stubborn, always thinks he's right, leads from where not many people can see him, ect ect...

I don't know... I don't think I've watched enough of malcom in the middle to type him exactly.

I'm new to this myself.  Sometimes I mix up the indicators a little...

If I HAD to try to type him... I'd say ISTJ or ISFJ

Guido had a good and short explination on how to type people in another thread...

*hopes the quoting works here...*

Who said anything about it being voluntary? hahaha. Practice trying to place people, it's a great skill to have. The more you do it, the better you get at it. Also, the test is flawed in the sense that it assumes the person is honest. I've had a couple friends who thought the test was BS but it's because their retarded F was getting in the way. They were deciding things like 'I'm an extravert and I'm not judgmental' because they felt it was better to be like that. Thus, skewing their results since they were answering as what they thought they should be rather than what they actually were. Naturally, I tell them they're wrong and point them in the right place.

It gets a little tricky with the Fs, but for the most part I find the following pretty accurate:

I - E ) easy enough to tell :o Whether they prefer to unwind with or without people.

N - S ) Facts or theories? Anyone who would enjoy talking about personality types, seems to be an N and those who don't care seem to be Ss. This is true for about all 15 people I know who I've tried to talk to about this stuff.

T - F ) Are they smart? or dumb. It can sure feel like that sometimes :X I find this one difficult to put into words since I don’t relate to the whole feeling thing so well. But generally, this isn’t hard to figure out.

J - P ) Js are aggressive with their conclusions, while open with their theories. Ps are aggressive with their theories and are open ended with their conclusions.

Problem with this though, is that it's fairly generic. Some types won't work so well with using these criteria. The best way by far, is to take a couple guesses, and read some profiles. I have yet to meet a person who doesn't fit into one of the profiles by at like 80 percent.

I can't stand being controlled either... if I feel someone is trying to control me, I will almost go out of my way to show them that they can't... so long as that in itself isn't another form of control. This comes from having a problem with authority me thinks :D

I've noticed that the two siblings of a family that are close in age tend to be very different personality wise and have either 3 or all 4 traits reversed from each other. Like my ESFP sister who's well... an ESFP :o

Gandalf is definitely teh kewlest fictional INTJ.

Hmmm, maybe when people start to piss me off I'll just grow about 7 feet tall and then say in an ominous booming voice: "Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."

DB

Dr House (House)

My sister and I played the type House characters game the other day and came to the conclusion that House had to be an S, and probably an ISTP. ...

I have 2 ISTPs in my home.

Both of them are people-pleasers.

They care about being cool and accepted.

House doesn't.

Also they're very playful and happy-go-lucky.

(Do people still use that phrase anymore?)

I think because House always writes out a list, he must be an "N".

"S"s have those lists in their head.

They don't need to write it down.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is an INTJ or maybe an INTP.

"P" would be likely because of all the unconventional means he uses to accomplish his ends -

very outside the box.

One thing I have noticed about fictional characters is that they are almost impossible

to figure out because they're - well - fictional.

The writers can manipulate them to behave any way they want them to

without true adherance to actual human behavioral patterns.

The 16 types break into 4 major groups NT, NF, SP, and SJ.

In my opinion, House behaves most like an NT.

May I mention Mr. Darcy (no I haven't read Pride and Prejudice yet, yes I've been living under a rock all these years) so i can't really say much.  But from what I hear, he was a great character.

*sigh*

I read P & P twice this year and I had the hardest time deciding if Darcy was an INTJ or an ISTJ.

So many of the qualities that made him a good landlord were ISTJ qualities.

But as I said, writers can make their characters do whatever they want without the constraint of type.

But as I said, writers can make their characters do whatever they want without the constraint of type.

Well good writers make their characters pretty consistant.

Besides, even if you get a horribly developed character, you can still type them to some extent.  The worst you can get is borderline everything  :-?

7th HP book Spoiler:

By the way, I was really fond of Snape's character.  *sigh*

Why'd he have to die  *cry*

I wouldn't be surprised if he is an INTJ or maybe an INTP.

"P" would be likely because of all the unconventional means he uses to accomplish his ends -

very outside the box.

House is very closure oriented. He gets very agitated when he can't figure somethng out. P's are more laid back than J's. He plans the tests he does before hand, not as he gets the results of the previous test. I'm pretty sure he's a J.

As for N or S, I really can't tell. I think he's an iN because he trusts his gut a lot. (please tell me if I just mixed something up there)

So I definately think House is an INTJ