Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

daydreamer

any "casablanca" fans?

i subjected my parents to many movies the past week while they were visiting, and casablanca is the only one that they both seemed to enjoy. there are a lot of interesting things about it, good and bad, but overall i think it is a great movie, a timeless classic.

any casablanca fans? what do you think of it? what do you like, or hate about it? what do you find funny :) please share :)

So many classic lines

Play it again, Sam

We'll always have Paris

Round up the usual suspects

This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine

A true classic!

"I am shocked, SHOCKED to see that gambling is going on in here!" "Your winnings, sir." "Oh, thank you very much!"

I love older films, before the mindless craze for violence and CGI.

It's an absolutely perfect movie.

Play it again, Sam

Nobody ever quite says "Play it again, Sam." in the movie. I'm going from memory here, but I think Bergman says "Play it, Sam. Play As Time Goes By."

Nobody ever quite says "Play it again, Sam."

You're absolutely right. Bogey just says "If she can stand it, I can. Play it!"

One of my favorite classics.

I am restraining myself from babbling on and on about it.....

<--- thinks that Casablanca is overrated. Rick is jaded. Rick is pseudo-satisfied with his life. Idealists come and remind Rick that he used to believe in something. Rick makes a tough choice. Rick says goodbye to the idealists.

:laugh:

OK. daydreamer.

Casablanca is interesting in that the story tried to mirror the environment as simultaneously happening during WWII, at the time it was produced. So, I had to remember to view the characters and situations through those lenses back in time, rather than translating them through current perceptions. Whereas, when I watch today's similar period films, I tend to be more skeptical because I think they are colored in today's views superimposing on what happened in the past. Makes sense?

There were numerous analogies and metaphors representing actual sentiments toward the war, as occurring at the time. It also tried to portray, even though on a smaller scale, human nature at its best and worst, when the chips were down. All man for himself. Survivals first; morals and values were for later.

I also liked the witty dialogues. Rick had most of the best lines! There were quite a few of the cynical ones, that I particularly enjoyed. For example, "I stick my neck out for no one," and someone responded that it was "a wise foreign policy." Heh. There were more, but I cannot recall them all.

As for Victor, Ilsa, and Rick, I noticed that she was drawn to (seduced by?) Victor at an intellectual level first, then love. Whereas with Rick, it was the reverse.

While I would probably be bored watching it again, I can say that I am glad to have already seen it. I enjoyed the story, the suspense, the pain, the music.

I can't imagine a better movie to watch during ... any time. I'm gonna watch it now.

Ha,

Love Casablanca...Anyone here ever see "Play it again, Sam" by Woody Allen? Its a sort of retelling of the Casablanca story with Allen sensibilities. Pretty good if you're into his stuff.

"How did you get in here? Your underage." "Captain Renault brought me. I am here with my husband." "Oh, I see Captain Renault is getting broad minded."

One of my favourite movies of all time. The dialog moves like lightening. The stories and themes in this movie are timeless and classic. It is said that this movies comes from Hollywood's Golden Age. From what has come out since, that Age has been dead for a long time.