Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

IslandHead

Sherlock Holmes

I have not "officially" heard of Holmes being INTJ, though Typelogic listed Moriarty as one. That said, I don't see how Holmes could be anything else. He is very J, very T, and very N.

He might be an E. I could see that. Though having read almost all the books I am of the opinion that he leans more towards I.

As for the movie, I don't really care how faithfully they reproduce his personality. I have the books and they satisfy my need. The movie can do what it wants and I'll enjoy it as best I can.

The movie has nothing to do with the book. They never do. There's no point hoping.

The entire point of Holmes is that he is not an action hero, he uses his brain.

The movie has nothing to do with the book. They never do. There's no point hoping.

The entire point of Holmes is that he is not an action hero, he uses his brain.

I does kinda look like suck ass action film... :(

I haven't read the books would you recommend them?

I does kinda look like suck ass action film... :(

I haven't read the books would you recommend them?

They're worth the read, certainly. But they are a little old-fashioned - some of the racism is a little appalling, to be honest.

They're sexist too, but it's less revolting because that so normal with old books and the way it's done is less...nauseating.

The trailer looks terrible. Robert downey jr? I dont think anyone pictures sherlock holmes that way.

Jude law, although still not ideal, looks a lot more like what sherlock is supposed to be. Also, he is pretty short, whilst sherlock holmes was tall. Neither his traits nor his acting style seem appropriate.

i'm sure they have psychology people on staff doing their thing or something like that. I can't wait for this movie, personally. However, my excitement might just be due to the amazing cinematic music.

NoStoneUnturned added to this post, 4 minutes and 3 seconds later...

Also, he's more of an eccentric INTP; everything is a game to him.

INTJ or INTP, neither will be portrayed in the movie. I saw the trailer and immediately had no desire to see the movie. The trailer shows Watson as the one with the brain, not Holmes, who comes off as some classless troublemaker.

The trailer made me very upset, so I'm going to pretend it doesn't exist....

Holmes could very well be an INTJ or ENTJ (most likely I, but E is a possibility).

Moriarty, is definitely INTJ, but with Holmes... I think you would be hard pressed to argue that he was anything other than an INTP. It could be done, but a statement like "when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" is so INTP that it hurts. Not to mention that for an INTJ, who's motto is much more likely to be something along the lines of, "given a possibility that could be true, I will find a way to make it so", the approach and perspective employed by Holmes would likely seem to be, at the very least, unnecessarily exhausting and cumbersome, if not largely a waste of time.

Remember, P or J does not mean "anal retentive or laid back", it merely indicates what your highest extroverted function is, in this case Ne or Te.

Edited by Indubitably

INTJ or INTP, neither will be portrayed in the movie. I saw the trailer and immediately had no desire to see the movie. The trailer shows Watson as the one with the brain, not Holmes, who comes off as some classless troublemaker.

Isn't Holmes suppose to be odd? Really odd? Even more, Watson is smart. Isn't he suppose to be an ISTJ doctor? Watson is just not an abstract person.

I dont know that holmes is an INTP. He is extremely methodic. He writes huge articles, which takes a lot of dedication, and keeps it all organized.

He keeps all his newspapers from years ago organized. When he is doing an investigation, he absolutely needs to do all the procedures thoroughly and with great sense of order.

I think House is a much better example of an intp (he would be the intp par excellence), whilst Holmes tends a lot more to the intj side (even thought he does show some intp behaviour).

Isn't Holmes suppose to be odd? Really odd? Even more, Watson is smart. Isn't he suppose to be an ISTJ doctor? Watson is just not an abstract person.

I think the a better face for watson would be Robert Sean Leonard (Wilson in House).

I dont know that holmes is an INTP. He is extremely methodic. He writes huge articles, which takes a lot of dedication, and keeps it all organized.

He keeps all his newspapers from years ago organized. When he is doing an investigation, he absolutely needs to do all the procedures thoroughly and with great sense of order.

I think House is a much better example of an intp (he would be the intp par excellence), whilst Holmes tends a lot more to the intj side (even thought he does show some intp behaviour).

I think the a better face for watson would be Robert Sean Leonard (Wilson in House).

Some INTPs are organized, some are not. Its more about a stronger preference for Si than a weaker preference for the introversion of thinking from what I can tell. You may notice that ISTJs for instance are masters of categorization, they literally have a "proper" place for everything. Where as I know INTJs who's bedrooms look like they were hit by a tornado (despite the fact that one is literally obsessive compulsive). Granted, in the sense that they like to just pick a direction and work with it long enough to see that chain of reasoning through to a conclusion, INTJs are methodical, but they aren't always "organized". Te is a "make shit happen" function, not an "organize shit" function. It prioritizes, evaluates, synthesizes, and extrapolates according to a "get it done" directive. If organizing something gets shit done, Te wants to organize things, if it doesn't get anything done, Te couldn't give less of a damn either way.

Edited by Indubitably

Some INTPs are organized, some are not. Its more about a stronger preference for Si than a weaker preference for the introversion of thinking from what I can tell. You may notice that ISTJs for instance are masters of categorization, they literally have a "proper" place for everything. Where as I know INTJs who's bedrooms look like they were hit by a tornado (despite the fact that one is literally obsessive compulsive). Granted, in the sense that they like to just pick a direction and work with it long enough to see that chain of reasoning through to a conclusion, INTJs are methodical, but they aren't always "organized". Te is a "make shit happen" function, not an "organize shit" function. It prioritizes, evaluates, synthesizes, and extrapolates according to a "get it done" directive. If organizing something gets shit done, Te wants to organize things, if it doesn't get anything done, Te couldn't give less of a damn either way.

I see what you mean, but there is still the methodical part of it which is a word that pefectly describes holmes. Either way, you cant reach a perfect classification since he is a charachter and thus can show a sudden variation of traits which would be extremely unlikely to happen in a real person.

I saw it and just went :(. Not the way either of them were at all... I think Watson was an INFJ... thoughts?