Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

Bugaboo

Stop Whining!

Posted (edited)

Many people ask themselves the famous questions "What is the meaning of life?" "What is the point of life?" etc. This is a state of confusion. We are smart animals and this question is actually just another way of asking "Why?" and "How?" etc. The questions are just representations of human curiosity, thus the answer is obvious... It is to gather knowledge, it is to satisfy human curiosity. The answer is not plesure or happiness. There is no answer because there is no such a question in the first place.

Congratulations, you are a human and you are smart. That means you are curious. Now, stop whining about meaning and focus on gaining understanding!

Edit: Read the first 8 comments before making any comment, claim, argument etc.

Edited by Bugaboo

52 minutes ago, Bugaboo said:

This is a state of confusion. We are smart animals and this question is actually just another way of asking "Why?" and "How?" etc.

Is it? Or is that just how you see it?

Hahaha the OP is quite smug with the way he see's it, eh ?

this isn't something to discuss about. but i agree, just live at the moment. too much thinking of why and how (which is the typical of INTJ) could make your life harder. 

11 hours ago, yes said:

Is it? Or is that just how you see it?

It is the way I see it, but I can not see from another perspective. Can you help me with that?

27 minutes ago, Bugaboo said:

It is the way I see it, but I can not see from another perspective. Can you help me with that?

The question of 'why' isn't necessarily always fueled by neutral curiosity. Sometimes people may ask for 'meaning' and 'purpose' not because they are particularly intellectually curious but out of dissatisfaction, suffering and struggle they can't bear yet find no point in bearing. There can be other motivations.

And again even if the question is fueled by curiosity it doesn't mean the answer is automatically the satisfaction of the question through knowledge. While 'pursuit of knowledge' may satisfy the curiosity and the need for asking the question about 'what's the point', the pursuit of knowledge in itself doesn't necessarily answer the question, but the content of the discovered knowledge might.

The statement: "Curiosity fuels arousal of questions 'What's the point?' or 'Why life?'

Doesn't logically imply that gathering knowledge is the answer to those questions, but it just means that gathering knowledge might be the 'means' to find the answer to those questions and to satisfy the 'curiosity'. 

Posted (edited)

If the questions are fueled by curiosity, even though gathering knowledge only "might" answer the questions, there is not any other method to answer those questions, gathering knowledge is an obvious method and it seems there is no other method.

If the questions are fueled by pain or suffering then it is about something painful like inevitability of death or losing loved ones. Then the question is not about the meaning or purpose of life, it is about "Is there a peace in life?" "How to be happy?"

I am assuming the purpose of life is an activity. For example asking the purpose of life is asking "What to do?" Then, the answer is for the reasons I explained above, gathering knowledge.

What I meant by saying, "There is no answer because there is not a question in the first place." is the problem can be divided into pieces within itself. That means there is not a question like "What is the meaning of life?" There are only questions like "How to be happy?" "What to do in this existence?" etc.

That's why different people gives different answers to the question "What is the meaning of life?". What I am claiming is that the answer to the question "What to do in life?" is gathering knowledge.

I should have said that in the first post, sorry about that.

Edited by Bugaboo

Well, now you're just shifting the question to match the answer you want to get. Is there any surprise that if you limit the matter to those that ask out of curiosity, that the answer is "to satisfy their curiosity"?

3 hours ago, Bugaboo said:

I am assuming the purpose of life is an activity. For example asking the purpose of life is asking "What to do?" Then, the answer is for the reasons I explained above, gathering knowledge.

I count three assumptions here. The first was stated explicitly: That you assume the purpose of life is an activity. The second is that seeking the purpose of life is to ask "What should I do?". The final assumption is that gathering knowledge is the only answer.

If you were to ignore these assumptions, if only for the sake of argument and experimentation, what conclusions would you draw?

Posted (edited)

There is only one assumption in there and that is to say the question "What is the purpose of life?" is asking "What to do in life?" Because I see the question in this way. I should have said that in the first post.

"What to do in life?" is a question about activity.

Gathering knowledge is not an assumption, it is an answer to the question "What to do in life?" 

All other answers such as "Try to be happy." is aiming for something rather than doing it. Okay, fine you want to be happy but being happy is not an activity, it is a chemical reward comes from doing activities.

And why "gathering knowledge" is the only "activity" that makes sense rather than "improve yourself" for example, because it is the only activity to improve too. Learning, captures everything one can do with his life. Because: If one makes a decision without enough knowledge, the premises of that decision might be false. The only way to decide in a perfect activity to do in life, is to gathering knowledge itself. Only with knowledge, one can decide what to do. Thus, until (if) something to do in life becomes apperant with new knowledge, one must contine to learn.

Again, I should have said "the activity thing" in the first post. Let me edit that. But I am too lazy right now, instead I will put a note in there that says, "Read the first 8 comments before making any comment." People shouldn't be lazy and read the comments, shouldn't they?

Edited by Bugaboo

14 minutes ago, Bugaboo said:

But I am too lazy right now, instead I will put a note in there that says, "Read the first 8 comments before making any comment." People shouldn't be lazy and read the comments, shouldn't they?

No lazier than the OP, I suppose.

It means you have enough time, money and psychological space to think such questions purely out of curiosity.

Don't tell me what to do, I'll whine if I want to.

On 18. 6. 2017 at 8:04 PM, Bugaboo said:

Congratulations, you are a human and you are smart. That means you are curious. Now, stop whining about meaning and focus on gaining understanding!

Understanding of what exactly? There is infinite knowledge out there. What should we try to understand? Should I go now to wikipedia boss?

48 minutes ago, Cacao said:

Understanding of what exactly? There is infinite knowledge out there. What should we try to understand? Should I go now to wikipedia boss?

Everything actually. Learn learn and learn more about the universe, consciousness, history, physics until (if) something else to do becomes apperant.

Learn and adapt the knowledge you learned. Grow and improve.

Just be careful what you learn is true, be careful to reason from first principles like Elon Musk said.

1 minute ago, Bugaboo said:

Everything actually

I dont have the capacity to do that, nor a brain for that nor time. I was thinking about buddhism yesterday, but my understanding of that doesnt help me much.

15 hours ago, Rosegal said:

this isn't something to discuss about. but i agree, just live at the moment. too much thinking of why and how (which is the typical of INTJ) could make your life harder. 

Too true. For many an INTJ (most) living in the moment is irrational. For my part, living in the moment takes a focus of tremendous effort. And then, sometimes, out of the blue, it just happens.

...... added to this post 7 minutes later:

1 hour ago, Bugaboo said:

Everything actually. Learn learn and learn more about the universe, consciousness, history, physics until (if) something else to do becomes apperant.

Learn and adapt the knowledge you learned. Grow and improve.

Just be careful what you learn is true, be careful to reason from first principles like Elon Musk said.

Reason alone(the intellect is automatically hobbled by being in service to the EGO) is only part of the picture and why even better than Elon's principles  are the first principles of My Big TOE(theory of everything). The 'Big' is more than just the intellect with it's sole tool of reason. Experience is what can lead one to truth.

...... added to this post 13 minutes later:

2 hours ago, Cacao said:

Infinity, the concept applies, only to mathematics.

Real systems,  your 'out there', are finite. Misunderstanding is common for those into scientism (thought or expression regarded as characteristic of scientists. excessive belief in the power of scientific knowledge and techniques. - Google).

For a second, I thought the thread title was, "Stop Winning!"... and as we all know, that's just not in the cards for me...

*eyes shift rapidly back and forth*

8 hours ago, RBM said:

Reason alone(the intellect is automatically hobbled by being in service to the EGO) is only part of the picture and why even better than Elon's principles  are the first principles of My Big TOE(theory of everything). The 'Big' is more than just the intellect with it's sole tool of reason. Experience is what can lead one to truth.

It's true that experience also can lead one to the truth. Experience is a part of learning.

6 hours ago, Monte314 said:

How do eyes shift back and forth? I believe eyes can not. Head can but then you will look like a woodpacker.

3 hours ago, Bugaboo said:

How do eyes shift back and forth? I believe eyes can not. Head can but then you will look like a woodpacker.

oh, it's pretty easy to shift your eyes back and forth. here, take a look:

for pedagogical purposes, i'll demonstrate it again, but a little slower this time to enhance learning:

*eyes    shift    slowly    back    and    forth*

6 hours ago, Bugaboo said:

It's true that experience also can lead one to the truth. Experience is a part of learning.

Please login or register to see this image. /applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk72/Monte314/giphy-downsized_zpsdop87mzo.gif&key=8300a586b7cd7777456468f6264f88ad3dbc7e4112275ccf06575fe18c5cbf8a" class="ipsImage" alt="giphy-downsized_zpsdop87mzo.gif" />

"Experience is a part of learning."

Are we all that spiritual? 

Don't some people seek for knowledge just for the sense of security? 

On 6/21/2017 at 6:36 AM, Knox said:

Are we all that spiritual? 

Don't some people seek for knowledge just for the sense of security

How many wars are ongoing at this time ? Isn't that a fair metric of how spiritual 'we' are ?

Why, suuuuuuure, those are the kind of people that are scared of their own shadows. Since their FEAR is so great, that they grasp at out-of-context knowledge like grasping at straws. Instead of the alternative of digging into the Source of FEAR, cause that's no fun. Or  some such.

Edited by RBM

2 hours ago, RBM said:

How many wars are ongoing at this time ? Isn't that a fair metric of how spiritual 'we' are ?

Why, suuuuuuure, those are the kind of people that are scared of their own shadows. Since their FEAR is so great, that they grasp at out-of-context knowledge like grasping at straws. Instead of the alternative of digging into the Source of FEAR, cause that's no fun. Or  some such.

i get your point, but it detracts from the main argument. what i wrote above was said against the ops statement: we ask the meaning of life because we are curious beings.

that's one answer, but not the only answer. some people find meaning in life  in satisfying their curiosity. some people find meaning in life in making themselves happy. this could be reciprocatory if happiness is found by making other people happy. some people seek for meaning of life in religion. some people don't have the time to ponder the meaning of life because their life is endangered. some people simply don't care.  some people only ask the meaning of life when afflicted by misfortune. i'm sure for those people, the meaning of life is to be happy.

in short, some people question the meaning of life because they feel they can't live without reason. (these people are compelled to question themselves.)

others who don't need to reason themselves to live may not ask this question at all, but might reply if asked, that they live to be happy.

i agree that humans are curious beings. but that alone does not sufficiently explain why people question the meaning of life.

Edited by Knox