Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INTJoe

2017 U.S. Open (golf)

Who has been watching? So far it's been a mediocre tournament. After day 1 the bottom 10 in the standings looked more interesting than the top 10 did. The top 3 in the world all went home after 2 rounds. DJ, Rory, and Jason Day all played like crap.

A bunch of pretty boring players litter the leaderboard. I was really looking forward to Erin Hills playing more like an Open Championship (aka British Open) but with no wind or rain it's been pretty bland with really good scoring. I'm not one of these people who gets butthurt over low scoring. You're competing against the competitors - not the course. But still I thought we'd see more drama for lack of a better word.

Before the tourney my picks were Dustin Johnson or Sergio. Sergio is hanging around but didn't make a big enough move today to really have a chance.

I think Justin Thomas wins it. Shooting -9 today and getting within 1 shot of the lead was remarkable. And he'll be last out with Brian Harman, who won't intimidate him in the least. Thomas hit 2 of the best 3 woods you'll ever see in a round today. One was his tee shot on the 288 yard par 4 15th that settled 12 feet or something and he missed the eagle putt. The other was his approach on 18 that was just stupid good. Just barely flew the greenside bunker, right at the flag, and settled 8 feet behind it which he made for eagle and the record books. He probably won't get a lot of sleep tonight...he's got to be licking his chops to get back out there.

I also hope Si Woo Kim makes a charge. I really like that kid's game. He's so under the radar because his name sounds like one of 54 Korean LPGA players but I think he might be a star. He has gotten some love this week for sure but not enough. The kid just won The Players by 2 shots at age 21. And made it look like he wasn't even sweating. He's had rounds of -3, -2, and -4 so he's been consistently scoring out there. He might go on a heater tomorrow and shoot one of these -7 (or better) type scores we've seen this week and win the whole thing.

Brooks Koepka, Fleetwood, and Fowler of course all have serious chances of taking it down. Even potentially someone at -8 like Patrick Reed. But I don't see anyone beating Justin Thomas. I think he eats up the 4 par 5s and that's the big difference. He's hitting his 3 wood so well it's going to be a huge advantage. I say Thomas by 2 strokes. Over Kim and Harman, who finish T2.

Also, I hate that the final round is always on Father's Day. Ugg, I just want to watch it but have to invariably go do something around 5pm...

The Masters Sunday is often on Easter... US Open is always on Father's Day, and the Open Championship is the week of my wedding anniversary so we're often out of town. I hate it. White people problems.

23 hours ago, INTJoe said:

I say Thomas by 2 strokes. Over Kim and Harman, who finish T2.

Yet another reminder why I don't bet sports. Thomas and Kim both sucked D today. Hey, I got Harman T2 right!

Koepka definitely played the best, though.