Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

ENFPEACE

Chris Cornell commits suicide.

27 posts in this topic

Major bummer.  Still remember the first time I saw him singing "Ritual" in the movie Singles.

Another victim of grunge.

Very sad... I always loved his voice. 

Apparently it was suicide by hanging.

Posted (edited)

Wasn't a big fan of his music, but I have to say... was sitting in the car during my lunch break and this popped on the radio.

And I actually started crying. The song itself isn't that fabulous but it has this heavy grinding dissonant quality that just keeps scraping at you until by the end you're just like....."FffuuuuuuuuuCK that's....sad!"

Edited by Ambra

Posted (edited)

Dammit, I quite liked Audioslave. His voice was quite different and he did some awesome things with it.

Like a Stone was my favourite, I think.

Dammit.

Also a great one:

...... added to this post 47 minutes later:

Ooooh this one too.

Edited by SelfMadeBum

Posted (edited)

"haters gonna hate" ?

...no. no hating. if you don't like the grunge frame and all of that, eat a bag of dicks.
the guy purportedly had a four octave range.

the studio version of this song might, hypothetically, be able to make me cry.
hypothetically.

Edited by Whoops

WTF? I was just sitting here at the park and had one of his songs stuck in my head and saw this. Terrible news. I'm 38 so he was very much a part of my formative years musically. Sad. The Scott Weiland OD didn't bother me at all but this one hurts.

Posted (edited)

Bad day for music.

Edited by Neus

Of all the grunge vocalists, Cornell was the most talented imo. By far the most extensive vocal range. It is a sad day. :(

He can now join Kurt and Layne wherever they are.

I was never really into the grunge scene growing up. It was my friend's scene, while I swung toward heavy metal. But he grew on me later, because if there is one thing that will attract me toward an artist, it is the raw talent and mastery that he brought to whatever he did. I loved his solo stuff and his covers and I've sung myself hoarse to 'Like A Stone'. Not to mention the experience of being in the middle of 50,000+ people all singing Black Hole Sun at the last festival Soundgarden played down here.

I will miss whatever music we will no longer have the chance to experience.

Damn.

Not to be disrespectfully ironic, but one of my faves:

Seriously... Kurt, Layne Staley, Scott Weiland, Chris Cornell...

Who is left? Corgan and Vedder?

Posted (edited)

He had quite the powerful voice indeed... and a sexy one at that. 

The part in Outshined where he sings "Whooooo gets mystified..." gets me every time. 

Edited by RachelSomething

14 minutes ago, INTJoe said:

Seriously... Kurt, Layne Staley, Scott Weiland, Chris Cornell...

What is sad is that two died of a drug overdose while the other two committed suicide.

15 minutes ago, INTJoe said:

Who is left? Corgan and Vedder?

Yup. There is actually a campaign to protect Vedder. Corgan is in the Chicago area and frequents Cubs games, so he is well taken care of.

I never knew about this but it's amazing.

5 hours ago, Whoops said:

"haters gonna hate" ?

...no. no hating. if you don't like the grunge frame and all of that, eat a bag of dicks.
the guy purportedly had a four octave range.

the studio version of this song might, hypothetically, be able to make me cry.
hypothetically.

"Seasons" was my favorite work of his...

And I'm lost, behind 
The words I'll never find 
And I'm left behind 
As seasons roll on by

I was able to listen to Soundgarden and Audioslave all day today. Most everyone at work grew up with this music. I heard about his death but didn't find out about the suicide until I started work. I feel so much empathy for him.

Posted (edited)

R.I.P. (Helped me through depression)

Edited by Zenji

You know my name...yes will remember him-

Hmm his wife is saying he didn't show signs of being suicidal. She thinks it was a side effect of some meds he was on.

Everyone says that, though. "My husband would never do this!" But they don't know that. 

Sad beyond reason. To have talent, adoration, millions in dollars, looks.....a loving wife, children....and still not want to live.....this is a disease of our time. Rock stars live an average of 15 years less than the general population. Disconnected, misunderstood, restless and finding themselves living in a world not to their liking........so many living famous musicians have also chronicled their extremely intimate experiences with depression......Elton John, Brian Wilson from the Beachboys. Bruce Springsteen...........the list is huge and endless. Life is hard for all and musicians tend to feel more than most and with that feeling comes more pain. What is the solution? How do we make people happy?

14 hours ago, SirJamesIII said:

Hmm his wife is saying he didn't show signs of being suicidal. She thinks it was a side effect of some meds he was on.

Yeah. The extra ativan sounds plausible to me, but makes it even more heartwrenching. =( I've been watching the tribute videos other musicians are creating and it's a kick to the feels each time.

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Famouskate said:

Rock stars live an average of 15 years less than the general population. Disconnected, misunderstood, restless and finding themselves living in a world not to their liking.......

When you're a rock star like him you're not just an artist but the figurehead of a company - dozens or hundreds of people count on you. It must be an immense pressure on artists.

And if you do hide away from it all like Axl Rose for many years...the press and your fans just hammer you.

I'm not saying this about Chris but artists in general.

A CEO of most fortune 500 companies can walk away from it all and nobody will really notice or care.

When you're an artist you are not easily replaced.

Edited by INTJoe

SO sad! I am in my 20s still but I went back in my youth and listened to Nirvana, Alice in Chains and Soundgarden (besides Led Zeppelin and stuff) and it's super fucking sad to me. I used to really like Soundgraden and I loved Audioslave and his solo stuff. I was actually really generally sad when he died and I don't care that much when celebrities die and I felt like I had to grieve a bit. I really liked some of his lyrics a lot more then anything, and some of his greatest songs I think, I mean those people practically raised me growing up so when someone like him dies it's just really sad to me, especially at his age and the way he went.

I really related to a lot of the music they wrote and his lyrics always really spoke to me. I used to be really really depressed, and some of Cornell's lyrics really helped through me all of that and become a stronger person. It makes me especially sad, I think of "doesn't remind me" and particularly after I got over this really bad bought of depression and I was trying to move forward and be more positive (because normal, bit that didn't work at all)I know that rock music used to be really popular and isn't anymore, but I really related an admired guys like Cornell and Eddie Vedder because they spoke so much about their stories and growing up it was sort of positive for me as I was from a broken home wherein generally it's brushed under the rug in most other places and it was the only way I could come to terms with it. I of course started listening Nirvana and was a gateway into that world for me, like so many other people. I went from listening more to Audioslave and then Soundgarden all of the time.

THE DAY I TRIED TO LIVE, ONE MORE TIME AROUND MIGHT DO IT ONE MORE TIME AROUND

THE DAY I TRIED TO LIVEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeBLACK HOLE SUN WON"T YOU COME!!!!!!!!!!!!11

(and that video, oh my god I am not alone, it's true, it's fucking true, that's what it's like! yes, U love all of this stuff) still probably, one of my all time favorite music videos, Black hole sun; how I've always felt. I love grunge because it's when America was still a little bit intellectual and now like, intellectualism is dad like a fish out of water. GENERATION ZZZzzzz, everything is sort of kinda of okay and swell I guess, WE CAN STAY LIKE LITTLE KIDS foreeveeerrr yaaayy indie hipster, quirky haircuts and coke bottle glasses and effete sensitive meeeeennn yaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy transGEnreedd!111

...... added to this post 18 minutes later:

Edited by MeteoricShadow