Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

Cak

Other than American English insults

33 posts in this topic

Any country where English is used - what are some insults or bad words/phrases?

ya bloody twat is a big one I think in the UK

can anyone confirm?

In UK speak 'bloody' can be inserted anywhere to show exasperation etc. An American may use a word like "freakin" in the same manner. The word "twat" is Northern, I think particularly of Geordies, where it refers to the female genitalia. So I guess then its US equivalent phrase would be "you freakin cunt". There are lots of swear words used in the UK but not the US, many of them are also shared with Australia and NZ.

I am curious to hear some Canadian insults. Thanks thod by the way.

Posted (edited)

39 minutes ago, Cak said:

I am curious to hear some Canadian insults. Thanks thod by the way.

Crickets. "Canadian insults" - I don't believe they exist. 

...... added to this post 1 minute later:

giphy.gif

Edited by SkyBright

6 minutes ago, SkyBright said:

Oh I am sure that they do. How about "I thought you were maybe an American".

3 minutes ago, thod said:

Oh I am sure that they do. How about "I thought you were maybe an American".

Zing!

My ex-boyfriend is from England (he has more than a bit of a Cockney accent), and his ultimate insult for a man was to call him a cunt.  He would say things like "I was just taking the piss with that fucking cunt the other day", which meant (roughly) that he was mocking the guy a bit, or busting his balls to get a rile out of him.  Any woman he didn't like was a "cow".  He would also call guys he didn't like a "tosser", but that was slightly less insulting than "cunt".  He referred to himself as a "git", and would say that he was just glad that he could get anywhere with me, "old git that I am".  He preferred to say "piss off" to "fuck off", and would refer to people he thought were low-class as "chavs".  

I picked up quite a few of his terms and sayings.  We lived together for almost three months.  I began calling potato chips "crisps", and the Dollar Store "Pound Land".  

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Cak said:

I am curious to hear some Canadian insults.

I don't think there are any, just passive aggression hidden under false politeness. It's easy to miss, but I'm sure you'll eventually catch on.

Edited by Nemesis

Posted (edited)

Canadian insults:

Learner's plates. Someone driving in BC with AB plates.

Don't tell Quebecois that they don't speak real French.

Tell actual young lumberjacks they're hipsters because of their beards... and bc they smoke weed.

Make eye contact with a stranger on the streets of Toronto during commuting hours.

... we don't really have our own swear words. Except for the French. Quebec has their own dialect of Christian swears.

Edited by WisePelican

4 hours ago, dontfuckwithme said:

My ex-boyfriend is from England (he has more than a bit of a Cockney accent), and his ultimate insult for a man was to call him a cunt.  He would say things like "I was just taking the piss with that fucking cunt the other day", which meant (roughly) that he was mocking the guy a bit, or busting his balls to get a rile out of him.  Any woman he didn't like was a "cow".  He would also call guys he didn't like a "tosser", but that was slightly less insulting than "cunt".  He referred to himself as a "git", and would say that he was just glad that he could get anywhere with me, "old git that I am".  He preferred to say "piss off" to "fuck off", and would refer to people he thought were low-class as "chavs".  

I picked up quite a few of his terms and sayings.  We lived together for almost three months.  I began calling potato chips "crisps", and the Dollar Store "Pound Land".  

All pretty accurate. In the UK, people of either gender can be a cunt, it is more generic than the US use, more like the way anyone could be an asshole (arsehole).

'Taking the piss' is context dependent. It could mean that someone is taking liberties or advantage, such as "the price that store charges is taking the piss". It could also refer to the sort of mocking or joshing that occurs between buddies.

I would only ever refer to women as 'cows'. 'Tosser' is just another version of 'wanker', it used as general term of derision and contempt. That the referee is lesser rather than detestable.

The word 'git' is invariably prefixed by 'old'. A grumpy and irascible old man.

Piss off is less offensive than fuck off, for whatever reason.

Chavs exist everywhere by different names. Low culture and eduction youths. Often to be found hanging out as a group outside the local store, beer can in hand,  wearing their idea of fashion and making a nuisance of themselves.

If you ask for chips in the UK, you will be given French Fries. Crisps are the thin sliced things. Pound Land is a national chain of stores that sells cheap stuff, mostly @ £1.

Crisps just doesn't flow naturally. That word shouldn't be pluralized that way. 

Posted (edited)

You can call those who are complete morons that can't keep their mouth closed a "gobshite", also used for general disapproval in a manner similar to damn. You can call someone who is completely useless a "nun's tit" or "dry as a nun's tit". A "cocktrough" is used for women who aren't all too clean and shameless if you get my drift, id est, "Christ lads, her funbags were decent enough, but the cocktrough on that tramp was like tossing my pipe down a sewer drain; that growler was about as clean as one too." Similarly, "Sally" can be used to point out a promiscuous woman, it's also very subtle for those who don't understand. Try it one day.

Edited by Atamagahen

15 hours ago, thod said:

All pretty accurate. In the UK, people of either gender can be a cunt, it is more generic than the US use, more like the way anyone could be an asshole (arsehole).

'Taking the piss' is context dependent. It could mean that someone is taking liberties or advantage, such as "the price that store charges is taking the piss". It could also refer to the sort of mocking or joshing that occurs between buddies.

I would only ever refer to women as 'cows'. 'Tosser' is just another version of 'wanker', it used as general term of derision and contempt. That the referee is lesser rather than detestable.

The word 'git' is invariably prefixed by 'old'. A grumpy and irascible old man.

Piss off is less offensive than fuck off, for whatever reason.

Chavs exist everywhere by different names. Low culture and eduction youths. Often to be found hanging out as a group outside the local store, beer can in hand,  wearing their idea of fashion and making a nuisance of themselves.

If you ask for chips in the UK, you will be given French Fries. Crisps are the thin sliced things. Pound Land is a national chain of stores that sells cheap stuff, mostly @ £1.

I was also very struck by how class-conscious he was regarding his fellow Brits.  It was darkly funny, I guess you could say.  He thought very poorly of people who's accents were "Estuary", and had modified his own accent over the years to sound less "Estuary".  He decided when he was young that he sounded too much like he was from that area.  He also used the term "Northerners" in quite a derogatory fashion.  "Northerners" were people from, say, Liverpool, for example.  "Northerner" was sort of akin to calling someone a dipshit.

In Scotland, we call chavs neds, neddy bastards etc (supposedly non-educated delinquent).
Neds used to wear Burberry, talk through their noses with an imbecilic nasal whine and support Hibernian. Fashions change, the noise doesn't and Hibs are still in business.

Cunt can mean whatever you want it to, sometimes clarified by context, often not. Just looking at the words it's easy to confuse friendship and aggression; tone of voice, body language, social context etc all provide clues.
But sometimes cunt just means cunt, especially when applied to women.

For insults, try:
'You were just a wank until your mother got in the way'.
'The ref's a fucking bawbag'. (scrotum). Very adaptable; also bawheid, bawface, cuntybaws etc etc.
'Numpty' is kind of stereotypical and not used too much in real life. It's maybe a polite insult.
'Away and lie in your pish'. An extended version of 'piss off'.
'You fucking walloper'. You're a dick.
'Cuntybaws lop-sided arse-wanker'. Sometimes it's just a random collection of words.

Like so many other things, Scots invented swearing.

I had a Canadian Foreign Politics teacher. The insults were so subtle but hilarious if you could spot them. He was very liberal but tried to refrain during class. However, there was one student who was pro Trump and the teacher would often ask "And what did Breitbart news say today [insert name]?" Later on, "Did Fox and Friends talk about that [insert name]?" A lot of the others didn't pick up on it but I did and I loved the subtlety.

1 hour ago, JadeDeLair said:

I had a Canadian Foreign Politics teacher. The insults were so subtle but hilarious if you could spot them. He was very liberal but tried to refrain during class. However, there was one student who was pro Trump and the teacher would often ask "And what did Breitbart news say today [insert name]?" Later on, "Did Fox and Friends talk about that [insert name]?" A lot of the others didn't pick up on it but I did and I loved the subtlety.

Hahaha, yup that sounds aboot right.

In St. Lucia, it's customary to call someone a dafuque when they do something odd, or out of the ordinary.  

27 minutes ago, Junk said:

In St. Lucia, it's customary to call someone a dafuque when they do something odd, or out of the ordinary.  

As in "Why dafuque did you do that" ?

6 hours ago, thod said:

As in "Why dafuque did you do that" ?

dafuque, why you did dat

Posted (edited)

I was in England and I ordered water at a restaurant, and the waitress asked "still"?   I said, "Yeah, I still want the water.  Nothing's changed."  Turns out they sell two types or water, sparkling (bubbly) and still (normal) and you've got to specify.  I then told the fucking wench to fuck off, cracked the plate over the table, and threatened her with the shard in my hand.  "Still?"  I'll show you still.

So, yeah, the first part of this post was true, but the rest, not so much.

Edited by Hanover

blood clot... the absolute WORST thing you can say to a jamaican... it basically calls whoever a stain on their mother's tampon (possibly related to boh-clah & bumbleclod)

someone's never heard the word canuck

kind of an old native american term for honkey/gringo is washee-chew (fat chewer)

another term for honkey is cracker and if someone particularly hates a caucasian, they're the white devil

really... there's a lot of insults in "ebonics", which is a constantly evolving dialect eg. no-one says: fresh, wack, frontin', or word up etc. anymore

then there's obsolete "swear words". i just saw a list of ancient ways to say screwing and some of them were exceedingly long akin to "greet the county vicar behind the bushes"... or crap like that anyways.

One of my favorite obscure insults is to call someone a "salmon ass".

My grandfather, who was born in New York City in 1903, used it quite often - especially when he was driving.

Americans are surprisingly ignorant of British slang. I like to verify this by referring to my American lady friends as "mingers with great personalities," just to see if they'll interpret the remark as a compliment and say thank you.

Bogan is similar to trailer trash....