Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

synapser

Does anyone else hate social media?

48 posts in this topic

Everywhere I look today there has emerged this need to build an electronic profile to accomplish anything. I can't buy a carrot without having to put my phone number through a database anymore. Not to mention that dating, banking, renting an apartment, staying connected with friends, and getting any kind of service now requires I log into some system and provide the basics. Name, email address, password, security questions, address, and phone number. Enough information that an automated web system could then mine more information about me from unprotected and barely protected information systems. The whole thing makes me sound like and feel like a paranoid freekausarus, but it's everywhere. Ultimately it makes me feel vulnerable and not willing to share anything. When did it become normal that we freely volunteer basic personal details about our lives? When did we decide that we would have to build an internet profile to do the most basic things?

Posted (edited)

I doubt if anybody is really, really interested in your personal data unless, you know, you are a celebrity or election candidate or terrorist suspect or drug baron or something like that .....

Edited by Major Chord

I don't participate in social media for other reasons. Although what you've mentioned in your post is also a concern of mine. When I used to participate in social media, it showed me the dark side of people close to me. It also brought out some bad feelings in myself. Not having social media has contributed to my isolation. But I would rather be alone than in the company (if even only online) of people I don't find to be authentic.

...... added to this post 3 minutes later:

1 hour ago, synapser said:

When did we decide that we would have to build an internet profile to do the most basic things?

Right. I also hate in check-out in person the cashier asks your name, number, then an email address. I had my haircut at a salon yesterday, and they were asking for my email. I didn't give it. I'm just thinking, fucks sake I just came in here for a cut.

If you're not using your own network, it's inevitable that your personal info will be retrievable by someone,somewhere.Questions is if you worry about this:

Who have you pissed off?

I think some sensible precaution are in order, but don't go overboard about it.

17 hours ago, Major Chord said:

I doubt if anybody is really, really interested in your personal data unless, you know, you are a celebrity or election candidate or terrorist suspect or drug baron or something like that .....

If what you say is true, why does my Forum Profile have 165,340 views... mny, MANY more than yours?

Is it my amazityness?  You won't find out by staying here!  Click on my avatar to check it out for yourself!

YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO...

17 hours ago, Cak said:

Right. I also hate in check-out in person the cashier asks your name, number, then an email address. I had my haircut at a salon yesterday, and they were asking for my email. I didn't give it. I'm just thinking, fucks sake I just came in here for a cut.

Just tell them that you don't have one. I genuinely do not own a cell phone so cannot give them its number. I have gone so far as make one up if the online form required it. As far as I am concerned, the barber is cutting my hair for the cash I give him, I don't give them any other information. I have known other people who cut themselves off. Thrown out the TV set, disconnected the phone, they seemed to be happier and have improved social lives because they would go out and talk to people for real.

Posted (edited)

Yes I hate it. I believe it was set up on purpose to spy on people (not the average Joe however) and to catch out the dangerous people. It is a legal spying tool, it brings people in like a magnet.

Seeing as I don't find the viral and generic posts funny anyway and that I'm a very private person, It would never appeal to me anyway.

Another thing that bothers me is that when you meet new people and try to create a possible friendship, one of the first questions are...

Do you have Facebook?

Me: no

Enquirer's mind: Who doesn't use Facebook = oddball/loner = boring person = shit.

Man, this is a depressing reality.

Edited by Formica

On 11/05/2017 at 1:40 AM, synapser said:

When did it become normal that we freely volunteer basic personal details about our lives? When did we decide that we would have to build an internet profile to do the most basic things?

The 80s, when most people weren't on the internet. Companies started putting people's info on computers, and then selling it to marketing companies for advertising via junk mail-outs.

The internet just made it easy for companies to get you to put your details on their databases via websites. So they didn't have to employ data people to put the data in for you. So the internet just exacerbated the existing trend, and by making you do it, made you aware. It was happening already.

I avoid mainstream social media like the plague.

It actually gives me anxiety. I am like an information sponge by default and I see too much, too fast, and get overwhelmed. 

Hate no. Respect no. Trust no.

I do enjoy being able to communicate great distances though, and send stuff like images rather easily.

Not in that sense, but yes I dislike it. I dislike how social media creates and reinforces specific qualities and conventions that people think they have to adhere to in order to be perceived as cool or perfect. 

But otherwise, I don't think the government or anybody else for that matter, really cares enough about me personally as an individual to obtain my private information. 

Posted (edited)

Moi 

Reading other people's posts about their current life is distracting, in a bad way. Makes it difficult for me to live my own life at my own pace because when you read about other people's lives, you're tempted to compare it with your own. Don't do that. 

I have Facebook to stay in contact with distant friends, but the application is not on my phone. No notifications. No temptations to see how others are getting on with their life. Quality life.

Edited by Knox

I hate social media. All the negativity just makes my skin crawl. I like people less and less these days.

It's all to eventually get humans into pods and their consciousness uploaded into the matrix.

Studies show that social media makes almost everyone unhappy: people polish their profiles to put their best 'face' forward. The inevitable comparisons between your bumpy existence and the sanitized timelines your friends keep posting will eat at your contentedness. 

Ditto, I'd rather not know the political opinions of every person I meet.

---

Why you can't find me on facebook or twitter or snapchat...and the only online networks I access are semi-anonymous and niche-specific. 

3 hours ago, eagleseven said:

Studies show that social media makes almost everyone unhappy: people polish their profiles to put their best 'face' forward. The inevitable comparisons between your bumpy existence and the sanitized timelines your friends keep posting will eat at your contentedness. 

Ditto, I'd rather not know the political opinions of every person I meet.

---

Why you can't find me on facebook or twitter or snapchat...and the only online networks I access are semi-anonymous and niche-specific. 

Exactly this, social media preys on insecurities and, in my opinion, is mentally unhealthy. 

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 2:28 AM, Monte314 said:

If what you say is true, why does my Forum Profile have 165,340 views... mny, MANY more than yours?

Because ... CUTE DOG PHOTOS.

Social media is a self-promoting data mine for most people..

and it's actually turned really slutty over the past couple of years.. 

On 5/11/2017 at 2:44 PM, Formica said:

Yes I hate it. I believe it was set up on purpose to spy on people (not the average Joe however) and to catch out the dangerous people. It is a legal spying tool, it brings people in like a magnet.

Seeing as I don't find the viral and generic posts funny anyway and that I'm a very private person, It would never appeal to me anyway.

Another thing that bothers me is that when you meet new people and try to create a possible friendship, one of the first questions are...

Do you have Facebook?

Me: no

Enquirer's mind: Who doesn't use Facebook = oddball/loner = boring person = shit.

Man, this is a depressing reality.

I tell them "I have 20 years experience in computer security.  Hell no!"  They give me that dismissive look, which confirms they're nobody I want to have in my social circle, anyway.

Why do you differentiate between "social media" and this very forum?

Posted (edited)

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 1:39 PM, Cak said:

When I used to participate in social media, it showed me the dark side of people close to me. 

Not sure just what you mean, but it's an interesting observation. I haven't abandoned social media simply because there are people from my past with whom I use it to keep up a passing acquaintance.  But it just seems kind of dull to me.  

Edited by Zoe Noelle

Zoe raises a good point about "dullness." I don't use social media beyond this site because I find it to be very dull, a shade more interesting than hiding in a cardboard box for one's entire life. I generally crave human interaction, in person, and in a place where I can see, hear, and interact with them directly.

I'm also very adverse to the so-called privacy protections we are offered on most social media platforms. Loss of personal information is not acceptable to me, period. Most internet sites, to include all the social media sites, are not immune to data theft or other shenanigans. So, no, no, no. I will never join or participate in any additional social media sites unless I have some level of assurity in my actions.

4 hours ago, Swamp Yankee said:

Why do you differentiate between "social media" and this very forum?

Forums like this are Web 2.0 with virtually no "social" features characteristic of Web 3.0 sites like Facebook.

If Jez starts spamming you with potential friends who like the same brand of lawn mower you use, categorizing all posts by their relatively popularity among your personal friends list, and flooding your inbox with every miniscule life-update posted by every single person on your friends list...then I'll stand corrected.  As it stands, INTJf is part of a dying breed of online community dating to the early 1990s.

Microsoft recently unveiled their [terrifying] vision for Web 3.0: you nearly oversleep for the work meeting, so Facebook simultaneously wakes you up via your smart-speakers and notifies your boss that you will be late for work because there is an accident on your usual commute. While stuck in traffic, your boss asks you to telecommute to the meeting instead, which you join via your phone's in-screen.

When you get to work, the cameras automatically pick up your face, enabling your phone to guide you to the meeting location in a different building across-campus. Then when you arrive, you're automatically checked-in to the meeting on Facebook, which automatically informs everyone who tries to contact you during the meeting that you're already busy.

On your way home, your car reminds you that your laundry is sitting in the washer because you're out of detergent and so ranks the nearest department stores by detergent price. Or, with your permission, automatically orders more online so that it arrives before you get home.

...it's a terrifying AI-controlled life.

12 minutes ago, eagleseven said:

Forums like this are Web 2.0 with virtually no "social" features characteristic of Web 3.0 sites like Facebook.

If Jez starts spamming you with potential friends who like the same brand of lawn mower you use, categorizing all posts by their relatively popularity among your personal friends list, and flooding your inbox with every miniscule life-update posted by every single person on your friends list...then I'll stand corrected.  As it stands, INTJf is part of a dying breed of online community dating to the early 1990s.

Microsoft recently unveiled their [terrifying] vision for Web 3.0: you nearly oversleep for the work meeting, so Facebook simultaneously wakes you up via your smart-speakers and notifies your boss that you will be late for work because there is an accident on your usual commute. While stuck in traffic, your boss asks you to telecommute to the meeting instead, which you join via your phone's in-screen.

When you get to work, the cameras automatically pick up your face, enabling your phone to guide you to the meeting location in a different building across-campus. Then when you arrive, you're automatically checked-in to the meeting on Facebook, which automatically informs everyone who tries to contact you during the meeting that you're already busy.

On your way home, your car reminds you that your laundry is sitting in the washer because you're out of detergent and so ranks the nearest department stores by detergent price. Or, with your permission, automatically orders more online so that it arrives before you get home.

...it's a terrifying AI-controlled life.

I understand your point - and I'm probably dating myself, but to my mind, internet forums and Facebook (etc.)  are just two examples of the same thing.  And you can choose the extent to which you participate.  Nobody held a gun to your head to make you buy the smartphone that now seeks to control your every moment....though I suppose that may be coming in the future.