Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

ButterflyPsyche

Are ENFPs mischievous?

27 posts in this topic

I feel like people usually say it's the ENTPs that are, and that ENFPs are too sentimental and feely to be tricksters. But honestly, I do feel like I have a bit of a trolly side to me. Sometimes I like to do things just to fuck with people or to see what will happen. Kind of like a "oooo what will this button do?" 

So do you think that mischievousness is a general ENFP trait?

1 minute ago, holdyourhead said:

Yes.

BE MORE SPECIFIC PL0X

I dont know many ENFPs. As far as I know ENFPs seem like they can be very playful with people. That of course can lead to many things.

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, ButterflyPsyche said:

BE MORE SPECIFIC PL0X

OK since you asked nicely. I think all xNxPs can be like that, but xNTP can seem to be more cruel with it, while xNFP is more cheeky, light-hearted, jovial.

Bart Simpson vs Stewie Griffin in terms of mischievousness.

Edited by holdyourhead

1 hour ago, holdyourhead said:

OK since you asked nicely. I think all xNxPs can be like that, but xNTP can seem to be more cruel with it.

Bart Simpson vs Stewie Griffin in terms of mischievousness.

thank you pl0x that helps

...... added to this post 8 minutes later:

1 hour ago, Cacao said:

I dont know many ENFPs. As far as I know ENFPs seem like they can be very playful with people. That of course can lead to many things.

But isn't "playful" a lot more gentle/mild than "mischievous"?

I went to an ENFP's birthday a few years back where her family recounted tales of her escaping her house as a child to play outside, which involved several feats of climbing the outside of buildings to get out.

They try but most people don't ever take them seriously...

Not really. Maybe in a low key puckish sort of way but not ENTP diabolical Cheshire cat calibre.

3 hours ago, vampyroteuthis said:

Not really. Maybe in a low key puckish sort of way but not ENTP diabolical Cheshire cat calibre.

You don't think ENFPs can be cunning? :p

11 hours ago, Tactical Panda said:

I went to an ENFP's birthday a few years back where her family recounted tales of her escaping her house as a child to play outside, which involved several feats of climbing the outside of buildings to get out.

She sounds like she rebelled but in a cute way!

Posted (edited)

I feel I can be naugthy, witty, teasing or playful at times, but I'm too kind and softhearted to really be mischievous, I think. 

I feel bad when there might be feelings getting hurt.

Edited by MissJ

3 hours ago, ButterflyPsyche said:

You don't think ENFPs can be cunning? :p

I didn't say a word about capability so please don't read that into my post.

EDIT: Ah, having reread your OP I can see why you'd think that. I don't see MBTI in "trait" terms as I think that's a bit dated and seems to collapse in some subtle idea about capability. More like preference or tendency.

Human beings are mischievous...so that means all types or mischievous.

As a generality, ENFPs don't sink to the level of assholery that ENTPs can (think mischievous kitten v. loki). Think this can be explained by the egocentric/accommodating factor in the FFM. That said, some ENFPs can be highly egocentric.

19 hours ago, ButterflyPsyche said:

But isn't "playful" a lot more gentle/mild than "mischievous"?

Well playful is usually understood as a friendly thing, but I mean it in strict version of how a say a cat plays with a mouse or a ENFP can as you say fuck with people. I can see playful as a way of playing social games that could easily pass the boundry of what would generally be consider fair or decent. I also think that it depends on the upbringing. I can see it with different types of people. Some people dont play any games social or otherwise. They just stick to formulaic thinking and lack even imagination. I think ENFPs probably have a more intense nature. Plus Ps just want to see what happens out of curiousity. A J would do that only if they didnt think of other option, but Js would usually look for most optimal solution at all times. Ps sometimes dont care, they just do something just to see it happen and it doesnt have to be the best option.

^Yeah, "I wonder what happens if I push this button" seems a very P thing to do. A J might also push the button to figure out the mechanisms that are at work. Whereas I think the P just wants entertainment.

Yes, and sometimes it can be purposeful and interesting.

Other times, it's irrelevant and annoying. Kind of a toss up.

The two ENFP's that I know quite well aren't tricksters at all. Both markedly competitive about social success, with a strong need to be well-liked and also liked outward confirmations of being loved. This is a tiny sample though. 

I'm literally THE workplace prankster. If a prank happens, people immediately assume it was me.

'schadenfreude' is often diluted by college student dialogue. it means (skipping, transported) delight in injury.

so, not a giggle when someone trips on a sidewalk yet is able to arrest his fall by grabbing the trunk of a chance adjacent sapling. but instead, that guy trips on the sidewalk and smashes his face (broken nose, broken tooth) into said sapling and internally you be like...

gFMqqVp.jpg?2

is it lowering your coworker's office chair?
or is it playing two men against each other because gosh the attention is nice?

the degree questions are: how much delight are you taking? in how much injury?

a giggle at someone's temporary distress or embarrassment?
or a robust laugh at someone's imminent danger or shame?

regardless of e/i, two clearer questions are just

• can nfps be cruel? ...sure. of a moment and a context and a foul mood, anyone can. but most nfps think cruelty is shitty.
  • are nfps given to cruelty? ...for sure not. these are damaged nfps.
Edited by Whoops