Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

RBM

Gardening and the like

31 posts in this topic

Those look pretty. Although I've always found weeds a real problem with people's rockeries here, with the roots almost impossible to get out. I don't think they were constructed particularly well.

On 3/20/2017 at 1:03 AM, Madden said:

Oh, had a little look-around the net, Mr. RBM, and found these:

Please login or register to see this link.

:nice:

Nice tips!  I love gardening but I don't really have a green thumb. :(

On 3/23/2017 at 2:20 AM, holdyourhead said:

Those look pretty. Although I've always found weeds a real problem with people's rockeries here, with the roots almost impossible to get out. I don't think they were constructed particularly well.

Yeah, it's possible that people didn't bother with the landscape fabric or didn't replace the fabric over time. It only last for five to ten years where you can increase the lifespan with bark or rock mulch. And nothing prevents new weed seed from growing on top of the fabric, particularly when bark mulch has degenerated over time and/or leaves are allowed to remain on top of the fabric, hence breaking down to become fertile soil.

First year,  do some potted flowers so it looks nice.  That's it.

Sit back and observe the land and the sun for the entire year.  I can't stress this enough.  Eventually, you will know what will work for each corner for your property.  

Your land (and your neighbors) will tell you what will work.  Don't do anything for the first year or even the second year.  A lot of things you do the first year, you will have to redo them.  We all make mistakes, the goals is to make less mistakes.

Walk around and see what flowers are growing in other peoples gardens. Everywhere you move, different plants will do well in that particular soil. You can see which by looking at your neighbours gardens. Like, where I am at the moment marigolds run riot but petunias wither away.

Wherever I have lived I have looked around for a source of free horse manure.  I have yet to meet a plant that didn't love it  There has always been a riding stable somewhere that was glad to have me show up and collect a load.  Great if you have a pickup but I have done fine with cardboard boxes, garbage bags and a Honda Civic.