Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

brainstorm

What Book Format Do You Prefer? Paper, Kindle or Audio?

What Book Format Do You Prefer? Paper, Kindle or Audio?   36 members have voted

1. 1. What Book Format Do You Prefer?

• Paper
    • Kindle or something similar
    • Audio

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
52 posts in this topic

Personally, I prefer audio (Amazon Audible). I find that I finish more books this way.

Second choice is Kindle.

I almost don't use paper format anymore. 

I used to like paper only, but have come to like books for my Kindle app the best now.  I have never enjoyed audio books.

It's easier to hold a Kindle than a real book. Books smell better tho,

Kindle.  I've had mine for eight years.  It cost $360 when I bought it.  No one knew what they were at the time ... everyone who saw me reading asked what it was.

I like holding it more than a paper book.  I don't do well with Audio.

Paper only.  I love to turn the pages and feel (smell) the bindings.  Preferably new or used hardbacks.

old book* with just thick enough luscious paper and gilded edging and a nice leather hardcover. multi ribbon bookmarks with a good comfortable spine. bonus for color woodcut lithography. 

*[kindle pref when in public]

Audio books are great for a road trip. That is the only time I use them.  Haven't read a paper book in many years. Kindle is easy to carry and hold, mine is back lit so no need for a reading lamp at night, I can prop it on a pillow and fall asleep, never lose my place, borrow from the library, or buy a book in the middle of the night.  What is not to love?  I have never met anyone who has actually read a whole book on a Kindle who didn't prefer it, by far, to a paper book.

However, I would prefer a paper book as a cookbook, coffee table book, OR anything with beautiful photos.  

I prefer paper, but I listen to audiobooks a lot. I listen on road trips, when I walk the dog, do housework, etc. I like flipping between the two formats too. 

I don't prefer kindles. I'm not sure why.

I'm not really a fan of the super thin, super cheap paper some paperbacks have been printed on, with dense type that just bleeds into the cheap paper. Paperbacks are fine, but when they go super cheap on them like that, they're harder to read. I don't have an issues between something like my kindle and decent paper backs. I appreciate the weight savings of my kindle. I've read more than a few books on my mobile phone. Whatever. 

For real life it's audio all the way.  Currently listening my way through all the old Heinlein books during my daily walks and any other time I don't need my brain.  Chopping onions is boring.  Chopping onions while visiting another planet is awesome.

I get mine from the Seattle Public Library, a place I haven't been physically in years.  They have something like 25,000 to choose from and get more all the time.

2 hours ago, NewToWorld said:

For real life it's audio all the way.  Currently listening my way through all the old Heinlein books during my daily walks and any other time I don't need my brain.  Chopping onions is boring.  Chopping onions while visiting another planet is awesome.

I get mine from the Seattle Public Library, a place I haven't been physically in years.  They have something like 25,000 to choose from and get more all the time.

The good thing about audio books is that you are not limited to only reading.

You can exercise, ride, drive or even just relax on the bed/couch without having to hold anything in your hands.

On 2/28/2017 at 7:45 AM, AesSedai said:

I prefer paper, but I listen to audiobooks a lot. I listen on road trips, when I walk the dog, do housework, etc. I like flipping between the two formats too. 

I don't prefer kindles. I'm not sure why.

It has to be paper. I can do other or but I perfer paper.

Don't really care between kindle or paper, have never been able to get into audio books though. 

Kindle, unless it's an art book (or something with pictures).

1 hour ago, zakih said:

Kindle, unless it's an art book (or something with pictures).

Yes, I love big art books, those can only be in paper for me. 

I like the practicality of kindle (well, my phone) but if it were up to me I'd rather have a large phisycal library.

Mostly kindle now, books are cheaper and you get good deals sometimes. But I have a large collection of Hardback and Paperback dating back to 1999 so I do re-read them sometimes. But anything new is mostly kindle now. Audiobooks are not my thing at all.

On the go? Tablet.

On the toilet? Paper.

In the car? Audio.

Paper books. They are still the most immersion imo.

paper for graphic novels/art, kindle for reading books.  i do enjoy podcasts, but haven't tried audiobooks.

The kindle app on my phone is the best! it's easier to focus on it because of the brightness. I don't have to double check the page number. It's fun because I can color code things with the highlighter and easily find them when speed scrolling. It feels cleaner without random papers with quotes lying around. it takes less than 10 seconds to find a quote.

I like paper books because I like the feeling of holding something in my hands and also they're larger. Same goes for comics I read, but I'm sure that would change if I had a tablet of some sort. Kindle app is useful as well though because I can carry hundreds of books in my purse that way and also because I'm horrible about impulsively purchasing them.

Do you mean like fonts and file formats?

Any format besides audio is fine with me. Reading is reading.

21 minutes ago, Madden said:

Any format besides audio is fine with me. Reading is reading.

Audio does suck when the reader uses a voice that clashes with the voice you've already created for a given character.

1 minute ago, Swamp Yankee said:

Audio does suck when the reader uses a voice that clashes with the voice you've already created for a given character.

That's a good point. I've tried using audio, but I get bored listening. I have to say, I really enjoy the whole process of reading. I love the inward journey.