Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

Ambra

For the Love of Verbosity!

HOW do men sit through, or work with, many females who use 100% more words than necessary?

I'm not bagging on women here, or saying all women are verbose. But, haven't studies shown the average woman uses more words per day than men, yet I haven't read anything on the percentage of context they project. Assuming men, and women, make their desired points daily, women use more words to make them. 

**Donald Trump would also be considered to have feminine speech patterns. Repeating himself, over and over. Sorry, side rail.**

See^^ I use too many words. It's not until I'm in a mostly entire group of females though, that I see how terrible this is. Entire group, I mean ratio of 20 girls to 1 at least. 

For men in this position, or if it relates to dating or attraction. How do you process the amount of words women use on average? What's going through your mind when listening?

They likely do what I do and that's to zone out.

You learn to zone out and pick up on keywords.

That eventually leads to hilarious miscommunications.

Some people are "low information-density" communicators.

Politicians are the lowest.  CHIX over 30 are marginally higher (unless they are politicians).  Mathematicians and dogs are "ultra-high information-density" communicators.

That is all.

It's funny because as verbose as I am here, I'm not very talkative IRL.  I feel like I'm the man in my relationship and my boyfriend is the woman due to how much he talks.  I've been afflicted with that "selective listening" disease where I tune him out a lot, automatically, without realizing I'm doing it.

11 hours ago, Ambra said:

For men in this position, or if it relates to dating or attraction. How do you process the amount of words women use on average? What's going through your mind when listening?

I simply allow for verbosity being a tool for exaggeration for dramatic purposes and divide everything in half.  The point is somewhere in the nouns and all adjectives should be discarded. 

My sister is one of the people who gives a lot of unnecessary information and details when speaking. I wondered how her boyfriend handles it given that they have hours long conversations almost daily. Then I realized he speaks just as much and in the same way. Maybe those details that bore me have some relevance to them.

15 hours ago, Ambra said:

But, haven't studies shown the average woman uses more words per day than men, yet I haven't read anything on the percentage of context they project. 

Women talk more in private situations. In groups where both genders are present, men talk more (but if interrogated about it, people over-evaluate how long the women have talked). This was measured by linguists in the US anyway.

On 25/01/2017 at 1:07 AM, Ambra said:

HOW do men sit through, or work with, many females who use 100% more words than necessary?

Drink.

On 25/01/2017 at 1:07 AM, Ambra said:

How do you process the amount of words women use on average? What's going through your mind when listening?

Depends. Some conversations are interesting to me. Others, my mind just doesn't register what words were said. My radio is not tuned to their frequency, and all I hear is blah.

On 1/24/2017 at 8:15 PM, eminentThymine said:

You learn to zone out and pick up on keywords.

That eventually leads to hilarious miscommunications.

I think this is the most common strategy.

On 1/25/2017 at 11:43 AM, Seablue said:

Women talk more in private situations. In groups where both genders are present, men talk more (but if interrogated about it, people over-evaluate how long the women have talked). This was measured by linguists in the US anyway.

Interesting.  But I have seen this play out, where if it's just one guy and two women, the guy will never get a chance to speak, but if it's two guys and two women, the guys will talk and the women will listen.

I have had two very rapid speaking women friends now, and while there wasn't a whole lot of content to their monologues, it would never be repetitive, so it wasn't boring.  My brother doesn't talk a lot, but he has to rehash everything 17 times when he does talk, so he's much more annoying than either of the women were.

On Wednesday, January 25, 2017 at 4:59 PM, lor6 said:

My sister is one of the people who gives a lot of unnecessary information and details when speaking. I wondered how her boyfriend handles it given that they have hours long conversations almost daily. Then I realized he speaks just as much and in the same way. Maybe those details that bore me have some relevance to them.

That made me laugh. My sister is the same way. In her mind, she's giving background crucial information.

Just recently, I had one of those moments. I found myself staring at a random spot on the wall, watching the shadows move, indicating the sun setting more and more.

All I could think about was that she is still talking and all I did was ask how her day was.

I nearly stopped speaking entirely after being married to a verbose narcissist. He never heard me, and I learned to tune him out. Nowadays, if I'm in a restaurant, for instance, and near a table where people are talking nonstop,

loudly,

about nothing,

I sometimes move. (Or leave). It's not the act of talking that disturbs me, it's the lack of content....and as far as I can tell, both men and women are guilty of this behavior.

I don't think Women are any worse than guys. Some people are just bad communicators be they women or men. Which reminds me of a thread I want to start similar to this on "nonsense" talk.

5 minutes ago, Hurricane said:

I don't think Women are any worse than guys. Some people are just bad communicators be they women or men. Which reminds me of a thread I want to start similar to this on "nonsense" talk.

Call it "Empty Vessels Make The Most Noise" and evaluate the responses accordingly. :laugh: