Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

bobabrowncoat

INTJs and Alcohol

43 posts in this topic

Apologies if this is in the wrong subforum.

Some of you know, I'm new to alcohol. I've been wondering if alcohol makes you feel more... normal? I've found that I'm much more outgoing and jovial when I've had a few drinks. I feel as though I'm a normal contributor to society and not an outlier when I've had a few.

What say you?

I think how you react to alcohol is partially based on your expectation of the effect it will have on you. There are studies that back up that view.

I do not notice any social effects or major personality changes. I mostly just feel drugged. Tired and "slower". Like I've been up 30 hours.

1 hour ago, bobabrowncoat said:

Some of you know, I'm new to alcohol. I've been wondering if alcohol makes you feel more... normal? I've found that I'm much more outgoing and jovial when I've had a few drinks. I feel as though I'm a normal contributor to society and not an outlier when I've had a few.

What say you?

That's the trap of alcohol. And one I'd think especially appealing to INTJs - feeling like an outlier isn't all it's cracked up to be.

You gotta start wondering when friends are making comments like "Gee you're so much nicer and a lot more fun when you've had a few drinks".

1 hour ago, bobabrowncoat said:

What say you?

It's funny how alcohol effects mbti types...I get hyper social to the point I'm a loud, hot obnoxious mess.  Either that or I laugh uncontrollably like a madcap.

It enables me to suffer fools, so yeah. Just don't use it as a crutch.

6 hours ago, bobabrowncoat said:

What say you?

Alcohol is supposed to lower inhibitions somewhat so it makes sense you would feel more outgoing and relaxed.

I think there's an effect of "everything seems funny when you are drunk" rather than people actually becoming more funny when they are drunk.

I've met some forum members for whom alcohol helped to get them talking, animated, with more facial expressions, more touchy/feely...

indulging over Alcohol will lower your blood pressure and uprise your cortisol level so you will feel more relaxed and with couple with stress more easily (take adventage of this info?) but also dont overextended bc will damage your body(Gaining weight and sleep depravation).

You can try other alternatives to cortisol in the same time like wine its better in the long run you avoid alcohol terrible effects and has more healthy benefits and you may live longer.

Edited by paulcod

I am a social drinker, and rarely have more than 3 in an evening. I have noted that I am less standoffish & more willing to talk if I have had a couple. I am never the "life of the party", but my barrier drops enough that I can somewhat enjoy being social.

It seems others don't have the feeling of being the odd man out that I have most of the time.

9 hours ago, bobabrowncoat said:

What say you?

Yes, yes, very true, except that I detest the taste until I've had at least three drinks so very rarely participate in this type of self normalization. 

14 minutes ago, bobabrowncoat said:

It seems others don't have the feeling of being the odd man out that I have most of the time.

Usually I am the odd one out in social settings. Having a few drinks eases that for me. I still feel awkward as hell when trying to make small talk, but if we hit on a subject I am passionate about, I can talk your ears off. 

46 minutes ago, bobabrowncoat said:

Of course we do. Why would you think otherwise?

10 hours ago, bobabrowncoat said:

I feel as though I'm a normal contributor to society and not an outlier when I've had a few.

Your use of the phrase "normal contributor to society" is interesting. It is a way of saying you feel obligated to socialize? Or do you feel a no-pressure desire to socialize more?

Edited by WeAreAllKosh

23 minutes ago, INTJoe said:

8 minutes ago, WeAreAllKosh said:

Your use of the phrase "normal contributor to society" is interesting. It is a way of saying you feel obligated to socialize? Or do you feel a no-pressure desire to socialize more?

These two questions go together. I've noticed that several INTJs have talked about disliking being around other people and want no part of the social sphere. I, on the other hand, have been aware of how unnormal my personality is from an early age. The feeling of being left out or not understanding kids' around me was lonely. I desired to be part of a group, but never really found one where I belonged.

Now in life, I don't feel "obligated", but instead a desire to socialize. It's tough. The way I enjoy socializing without any mind altering substance isn't accepted around me. Alcohol is a social camouflage I can use to infiltrate other groups. It removes my uncomfort and amplifies the social appeal I do have to others.

1 hour ago, INTJoe said:

I love people and very much enjoy being around them, but still feel the odd man out most of the time. That feeling is a human feeling, not type specific.

I don't need alcohol to socialize, but it does make me relax a bit, so I'm not so worried about exposing my inner weirdo.

2 hours ago, bobabrowncoat said:

These two questions go together. I've noticed that several INTJs have talked about disliking being around other people and want no part of the social sphere. I, on the other hand, have been aware of how unnormal my personality is from an early age. The feeling of being left out or not understanding kids' around me was lonely. I desired to be part of a group, but never really found one where I belonged.

Now in life, I don't feel "obligated", but instead a desire to socialize. It's tough. The way I enjoy socializing without any mind altering substance isn't accepted around me. Alcohol is a social camouflage I can use to infiltrate other groups. It removes my uncomfort and amplifies the social appeal I do have to others.

You feel a desire to socialize and are using alcohol as your social lubricant. I feel no desire to socialize and, not coincidentally, have never used alcohol. Never = tetotaling-never. Doesn't matter to me if other people drink or don't drink... unless they are planning to drive afterwards.

We are both INTJs. What’s the difference between you and me? I was raised as a free-range kid and there were few kids my age in my childhood neighborhood. I learned how to be independent, imaginative, and not be concerned about being left out during the rare group opportunity. Belonging to a group was and is not a life priority.

13 hours ago, bobabrowncoat said:

Do you have a link to the study? I'd like to read that.

The one I read about was in a psychology textbook I read years ago and I forgot the name. Basically, people were given fake alcohol and told it was real. They got tipsy, partied, lost social inhibitions. And then did not believe it was fake afterwards. It suggested that a lot of the social effects of alcohol are shaped by expectations.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3035442.stm

55 minutes ago, EchoFlame said:

Basically, people were given fake alcohol and told it was real. They got tipsy, partied, lost social inhibitions.

This reminds me of college spring break when my friend said he'd never tasted alcohol. 4 of us started taking shots right when we got there to start our week of constant alcoholic revelry and we poured him a shot of water then cheered him on for his first ever shot. He drank it and got this bitter disgusted look on his face. We all LITERALLY DIED laughing then told him it was water and he tried to play it off like "no but seriously tho that water tasted bad.." LOL. Then we forced him to drink the good stuff and he came out of his shell and we all had a great week. 

Sociability goes up. More charismatic and my thinking isn't negatively affected. Over all thumbs up :).

35 minutes ago, INTJoe said:

This reminds me of college spring break when my friend said he'd never tasted alcohol. 4 of us started taking shots right when we got there to start our week of constant alcoholic revelry and we poured him a shot of water then cheered him on for his first ever shot. He drank it and got this bitter disgusted look on his face. We all LITERALLY DIED laughing then told him it was water and he tried to play it off like "no but seriously tho that water tasted bad.." LOL. Then we forced him to drink the good stuff and he came out of his shell and we all had a great week. 

The point of the study is that even if he drank fake alcohol all week, he still would have had fun and came out of his shell because he expected that effect.

15 hours ago, INTJoe said:

It enables me to suffer fools, so yeah. Just don't use it as a crutch.

Well put, though I do use it as a crutch. -_-; 

For me, when I don't want to engage socially, it's usually because I have little to no knowledge of the subject matter, and I don't want to appear ignorant, or I don't want to clutter the air with whatever unknowledgeable things I have to say. The second most common thing is just that I disagree with whatever is being said, and don't care to enter an argument (like confronting racism).

In the first case, I like to listen to gain knowledge. Alcohol will help me not be so reserved and show my ignorance and ask questions. I end up gaining more knowledge by doing so.

Other than that, alcohol allows me to tell people how stupid I think their celebrity crushes are. Some will like me for it and some won't. I guess it's better in the long run to identify who i get along with well and who I don't. It all seems to point to me wanting to get along and have peace with everyone, which ultimately just makes me less genuine in my expression.

Alcohol always me feel tired and ill so I stopped drinking.  It just doesn't do anything for me.

It never seemed to make me more outgoing or social or have much effect on my personality.

Edited by Palladium

Most women will tell me they enjoy my company more after a few drinks, which just tells me that they don't really appreciate who I am most of the time. Now I rarely drink.