Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

INTJoe

Being a "Morning Person"

I am not a morning person - never have been, never will be. I feel like people who are "morning people" do better in life - particularly the workplace and corporate world. There is a saying "the early bird gets the worm", and that's likely true for all but a few industries (such as night clubs) where it's probably beneficial to be a night person. This may be wrong or right but when I think about successful people it seems they tend to be morning people.

My real question is this: Is whether or not you are a morning person or a night owl completely random? My brother is a morning person. Is that random? Or is he a morning person by way of him proactively wanting to get out there and confront the world? Or is is the other way around? Maybe he goes out to conquer the world because he'd be bored sleeping in and staying up late?

Is it all just random luck? I enjoy the night and enjoy being creative at night because I guess I feel like nothing is happening "out there" so it frees me up to enjoy my natural creative pursuits. Are creative types just more prone to becoming night owls for those types of reasons? Or are we genetically hard-wired to be "one or the other"? Can you even go from being a night owl to being a morning person or vice versa?

Yes you can force yourself to be a morning person provided you don't take any medications or have insomnia or have any other issues stopping you from having a good nights sleep.

I 100% agree with the premise of your thread. Every time I go into work very early I solve some major problem before 9am.

I know a colleague of mine one level up from me that lamented that he was never offered an acting position as VP. I knew the reason why. It was because he got in at 9:15 or 9:30am and left at 5pm. The only people offered the promotions were those getting in at 7am.

I am personally a night person and just accept I will never be the CEO.

If you can't get their early, the next rule by the way is to be consistent. Pick a time and get there every day at the same time, then you are consistent and they will accept you. Don't sometimes show up at 10am or 9:45 because you had a late night out.

Edited by Hurricane

I'm both depending, partly depending on season - I'm much more inclined to get up early and do shit at the moment as it is summer.

But I've committed myself to getting up and doing exercise before the working day  4 days a week rather than after, because one of my jobs has the propensity to make me start late and end late.

depends what timezone you are in,

personally i believe you shouldn't limit yourself to only the worms in your current timezone.

you should rotate your sleep schedule and harvest the worms then rotate to another timezone and then harvest the worms there.

that way you don't completely deplete one area of worms.

they say the best sleep schedule is a 20 minute nap every 4 hours, 

its always morning somewhere!

Edited by king con

I cannot say if the behavior is random or learned. I have always been a morning person, whereas my one sister has always been a night owl.  My husband was a night owl, but over the years has transitioned over to being a morning person, and rarely sleeps beyond 4 am. When left to her own devices, our youngest daughter prefers to stay up all night and sleep most of the day. The oldest is the exact opposite. 

I also cannot link the difference to creativity, as all of us are creative in different ways. Granted, I am basing that only on my experiences within our family.  I found an interesting article on chronotypes that references several studies on the topic. I also found an article related to morning and evening types and creative thinking, that links out to additional studies as well. I found it interesting that some studies pointed to so-called owls having higher IQ and others that seemed to find the exact opposite. 

6 hours ago, INTJoe said:

Can you even go from being a night owl to being a morning person or vice versa?

I can. I sleep very late and wake up very early. But only when there are early morning discussions only then I would reach the office early, and usually the first person to be there and often the last one to leave as well (late at night if I feel like finishing some stuff so that I don't have to come that early the next day; or if I have to travel the next day hence I check everything in my intray-leave some to-do messages etc etc). Going back to waking up early, if there is no urgency I just do some work at home after gardening and go for a quick run around the residential estate, and be in the office either at 10am or during lunchtime  (preferably the latter because sometimes some staff tend to linger preparing to be called in especially if I reach office around 10-ish. When that occurs I tend to tell them to go have their lunch and I close my office door throughout the lunch break).

During weekends, off day leave off work and vacations, and during some work travellings (constructions sites inspections/technical meetings conducted at sites; factory visits etc) I can easily sleep in. And sleep in way past noon time. But if I am staying in hotels where the buffet breakfast are served, I wake up very early and have my breakfast, then exercise in the gym or swim, shower, hang No Disturb sign at the door and sleep. Almost always the appointments (work travels) will be made in the late afternoons; though exceptions will made when appointments are in the mornings.

I do admit that I enjoy the solitude and quietness when coming to work very early in the morning. But our floor is separated from the rest of the sections anyway hence if the partners aren't around, the floor is definitely quiet plus minus the occasional intercoms and ringing tones passed on to our floor. Therefore it makes no difference or not if I come late or very early, it all depends on me on how much incentive I feel to get things done or at all. At times I am lost in my own thoughts so rather than appear lost in space during staff discussions I just go out for a long drive, sit by the lake and I answer work emails and participate in projects whatsapp group conversations from there. I am definitely not a success model...far from it *grins* but I get lots of things done well, albeit in my own style and at my own pace. 

I do, rotating shifts.

Not even considering work, however, I'm far more productive in my personal life when I get up early.

I was a night owl from birth to my mid-30s.  Then it gradually started changing.  I think it's because melatonin starts to decrease as we age.  Regardless, I enjoy being up with the sun now and asleep when it's dark.  Never, ever thought I'd be one of those people up at 7 am on a Saturday morning walking the dog. 

So, yes, it is possible to reverse the habit.

I think that some have trained themselves to wake up early because of either work or personal choice but the use the "morning person" cop out when someone ridicules them.

I prefer to sleep in late and stay up late, what society deems a "night owl", but I simply follow this routine because I can get more work done while the apartment complex is quiet. I don't find that waking up early helps me in any way, so I don't wake up early unless my schedule dictates that I have to.

2 hours ago, Palladium said:

I was a night owl from birth to my mid-30s.  Then it gradually started changing.  I think it's because melatonin starts to decrease as we age.  Regardless, I enjoy being up with the sun now and asleep when it's dark.  Never, ever thought I'd be one of those people up at 7 am on a Saturday morning walking the dog. 

So, yes, it is possible to reverse the habit.

But it sounds like the reversal was a natural thing that happened to you - not something you proactively caused to happen. I have a feeling it's like MBTI where you can't really force a change but a change might occur naturally over time.

Of course we can all train ourselves to get up early or stay up late if the incentive (usually money) is worthwhile but that doesn't suggest a permanent change in your natural behavior.

Geneticist clock genetic differences between 'larks' and 'night owls' - in fruit flies, but their clock genes are similar to humans.

Something in the study I found particularly interesting:

"Another interesting finding of this study is that the molecular processes in the Owls are not merely delayed compared to Larks, but are entirely different. I refer to this behaviour as the 'pinball theory'. Once a gene expression is delayed (in Larks), a completely different cascade of molecular events is carried, similar to the ball in a pinball machine that takes a different route in each run. The end point might be similar, but the different molecular routes result in a different journey time."

So if you can change the cascade pathway, you might be able to switch between the two.

On 2017. 01. 10. at 6:43 AM, INTJoe said:

There is a saying "the early bird gets the worm"

Sure, but the second mouse gets the cheese. ;D

I think the whole success issue of the early birds gonna get outdated, both the moral connotations and the practicality. First of all if we have more and more flexible working hours it stopps being so important to be awake when everybody else starts working too.

On the other hand I think those succesful people do not just get up early but generally do not NEED to sleep so much. They wake up and are awake and rested and are gerally like duracel bunnies ...it does not matter when you do it. I never do it. I am a sleepwalker zombi for hours in the morning.

I work best when I manage to be both and sleep biphasic - having a nap in the afternoon. 

So on that rare day I wake up at 6:30 and actually get up and get my day going as opposed to melting out of bed at 8:30 and maybe starting to be mentally useful at 11 is every day for morning people? sounds awesome. 

Relevant meme: 

15826844_812619798877956_449177202573553