Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

ohmydragonballs

Preference?: larger city or small town?

32 posts in this topic

I haven't been on the forum to accurately observe what the subculture here is like and the trends, but I'm assuming that most of the INTJs or introverts overall would choose small town due to the solitude and open space they have access too. But this is just a guess as I can find some aspects of city life that INTJs crave: anonymity, access to better education and health care, etc. So which do you prefer? 

Edited by ohmydragonballs

I prefer smaller towns, for a number of reasons.

I grew up in a small town and was BORED to tears.... Hence my appreciation for the big cities.  That's not to say I don't enjoy going back to the country for peace and quiet sometimes, but I need the stimulation of what is available in a larger city.  I really enjoy variety in general. 

Edited by HoneyBaybee
Typos

Larger city. I grew up in a small town. There is no personal benefit to the type of situations (and complete lack of anonymity) that often occur in small towns, like word of an individual's death spreading quickly enough even before immediate family even has a chance to be notified. (that type of thing happens often) And the small-town attitude of superiority that they're somehow better or nicer than city dwellers. When "nice" is just a pseudonym for being nosey. I prefer my solitude while surrounded by the noise and busyness of a bustling metropolis. 

I was made for city life and feel alive on crowded streets.

I enjoy variety and until now I've needed a lifeline to a city - I grew up in a village that was 20 miles from central London with a train line and then moved to London. In South Africa I live on a peninsula that is part of a city at exactly the same distance to the centre (35km) with a train line - pity the trains are shite here! 

I find myself torn between both. I enjoy the entertainment that a large city offers, but I dislike the crowds and noise. I live in a small town, and there are a number of benefits to that. However, in order to find the culture, dining experiences, and other entertainment that I enjoy, I have to drive over an hour to get to the closest "larger" city, which isn't always ideal. 

I feel the same as Cinder. I am from a small town(technically a village) and I like it because it's quiet and I have no neighbors. At the same time, I would love some cheap internet, delivery pizza, and a lower gas budget. I like the quiet of small towns but I like the convenience of cities.

As others have posted, I like the convenience and entertainment of big cities ... but the quiet of small towns.  If I could live in a small town and teleport to a big city when I want to do activities, that'd be great.  Right now I live about 10 minutes from downtown Columbus ... there's so much to do and I definitely do a lot.  My weekends are booked up until the end of February with a winter hike series (I get a free walking stick at the end of the 13 hikes in the 13 different metro parks), craft brewery events, wineries, and whatever else we decide to add in when the weekend rolls around.  I also go to craft breweries weekly for their cask and secret stash beers.  They don't have that in small towns, lol.

But I also love the country.  I want to live somewhere with no one else around me.  I hate traffic.  I hate crowds.  I don't like hearing cars from my house.  I like nature and peacefulness.  I don't want to hear my neighbors.  I want to be able to go for a walk in the evening and not run into anyone else.

Now that I think about it, city life in states like Oregon and Washington sound like convenient places to live in although the weather situation isn't ideal. You can live in a large city and be within walking (and in this case, biking) distance from work, school, etc., but nature and the outdoors is just a couple-minutes drive away. I'd love to live in a place where I'm in close proximity to the best hiking trails. 

I really don't know. I like the conveniences of bigger cities, I like the hustle and bustle, but I also like the quiet and comfort of smaller towns. They're more intimate to me. 

I'm currently a suburbs kind of guy and as I age, I find myself longing to get further from the city.  I assume that my retirement will be rural.  Right now, I'm a 20 minute drive from the downtown of my nearest city but a 3 minute drive in the other direction puts me in a giant nature park with deer and their coyote predators chasing them around.  I'm quite anti-social, wait, I mean, pro-privacy, so I'm not a big fan of nosey neighbours.  Plus, I'm musically  loud so if I lived in close quarters with others, I'm sure I'd upset them.  

The city is for social events, concerts and sporting events and I indulge in those things when the opportunity presents itself, but my day-to-day life would, ideally, involve as much space as possible.

From what I can tell, more members live in cities than small towns.  I'm from a small town and currently live in a city of only 60,000.  For my next degree, I want to move to a larger city out west.  I think it'd be fun to live in a larger city for a while.  I really enjoyed Boston and would like something about that size.

Larger city definitely. For the reasons you mentioned, and also better employment opportunities, better public transport, more restaurants and shops that are open late at night, better services in general, more convenient living. From my experience, small towns are also more prone to corruption and more dangerous under the surface. It's very difficult to be heard or make a change of any kind, as no one wants to rock the boat.

I lived in the city during most of my twenties, but as I near 30 I'm going out less and spending more time in with my partner, so I'm moving to a small suburb just outside the city.

Suburb has about 40k people, while the city proper has 800k.

Easy access to shopping and mild nightlife, but only 20 minutes from downtown. Plus a nice single family house with yard and garage I couldn't afford in the nice parts of the city.

I still work downtown, so will be commuting in.

Large city.

I prefer a large city because I know I can fade into the crowd while in the city. In a small town that's impossible and in a small town everyone wants to get to know you so obligation to chat with others increases. In a city, you can choose who hang with and there are so much more options for events to attend or activities to do.  

Large town. I have lived in all sorts of environments.

Small places lack facilities. Big cities have them, but they are often far away. I really don't need even a small city with 20 large supermarkets. Although large cities may be able to support niche facilities, say opera houses, I don't use them so don't miss them. So the place I am in atm, a small city (250k), it is 3.5 miles to the city centre, too far to walk for a casual beer (not going to DUI). My preference is about 50-80k people.

Small town--there's a feral me wailing for nature, but I'm tied down in NYC for now.

Small town, maybe in the scenic part of the farmland but with good internet. But city to meet with friends on occasion. 

I prefer a mid sized city. I enjoyed my brief time in Chicago, but the traffic congestion, stress, and constant noise grew tiresome. I went to high school in a small town of 5,000 and fucking hated it not just for how boring it was but because of the nosy people always in your business. I moved around a bit, and while my times in Joliet and Rockford were not ideal, I still had a better time than my hell in a small town.

I would say population from 50,000-400,000 people is ideal. My brief time in the Quad Cities was fun and enjoyable. I would move back there if I had to.

An unorganized community where people have to worry about whether they'll survive going up the wrong driveway.

17 hours ago, Kprog said:

I prefer a mid sized city. I enjoyed my brief time in Chicago, but the traffic congestion, stress, and constant noise grew tiresome. I went to high school in a small town of 5,000 and fucking hated it not just for how boring it was but because of the nosy people always in your business. I moved around a bit, and while my times in Joliet and Rockford were not ideal, I still had a better time than my hell in a small town.

I would say population from 50,000-400,000 people is ideal. My brief time in the Quad Cities was fun and enjoyable. I would move back there if I had to.

As much as I love having access to a dozen different falafel stands, I only frequent one regularly. Ditto for most amenities in huge cities.

Don't think I would like to live in a city larger than Columbus. 

I can't decide.

I like having more options and more things to do, so city.

But I also like more peace and quiet. And hate waiting in lines.

I feel like the world is moving in the city whereas a small town is like some bubble or time capsule, where the story of the world is not able to reach. And there are fewer characters. I want to be where the action is. Where I have a greater input and reach on the story of the world.

I also feel like the quality of character is often lacking in the city and many of the people are more vapid. I can forgive a humble idiot but I cannot forgive an arrogant pseudo-intellectual. The city has so many of those types . . .

If I settle, I'd like it to be in a town or hamlet in easy driving distance of a major city.