Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

doll

smart lights

what lights do you use/like/recommend?

None since they're easily hackable.

I have friends that use Hue lights. They seem to like them quite a bit.

None.  I have thought about getting some just to have the ability to turn a light on when we are traveling, both for security and convenience.  The price is pretty high for that, though, considering that that there are things like lamp timers that will do similar functionality for a fraction of the cost.

There's not a lot of security when electronics are easily hacked.

I have Wi-Fi.  It's got security enabled with a password.  It is what it is.  A determined individual can sit outside my house and get into it.  If I thought the risk was all that great, I would 't have that.

(I assume that's what you are referring to.)

Posted (edited)

anything with wifi can be hacked,

just hard wire everything with an isolated network.

just like CCTV Closed Circuit TeleVision or an intranet.

Genisys-system-diagram.png

this is a product that provides power over the Ethernet interface. it is provided from "Genesis Systems?"

here is another more sophisticated one provided by http://www.nuleds.com/

NuLEDs-Infographic_WEB.jpg

this company has a cool site

http://www.igor-tech.com/#

of course any device connected to your lighting network that is also connected to the internet would make this vulnerable to being hacked.

you can conduct an experiment to explore isolated computer networks if you like.

get a modem/router and connect 2 pcs to the modem/router

but dont connect it to your phone line/fibre optic line w/e (don't connect it to the internet)

and also turn off wifi

the machines will be able to communicate with each other and wont be vulnerable to hacking through WiFi or the Internet but will still be able to communicate with each other.

btw what is the point of connecting your lights to the internet or wifi?

...... added to this post 9 minutes later:

7 hours ago, Distance said:

There's not a lot of security when electronics are easily hacked.

do you have one of these on your phone?

https://www.wired.com/2016/07/snowden-designs-device-warn-iphones-radio-snitches/

hoping to get one soon for android

i suspect the same could happen with wifi on modems too even if you "turn it off".

there is some underground development for modem addons, but it is still far in the future.

Edited by king con

I use the swirly CFLs that you screw into things, they work well. 

I turn them on and off with a switch.

well, i picked up a lifx bulb yesterday rather than invest in something more significant like hue, or something more limited like a smart things? (i think that's the name) plug.  i've heard they can have problems maintaining a connection; we'll see how it goes.

the reason i wanted this was to use it as a light alarm.  i don't wake up easily, particularly if it's not bright outside, and i'm soon to do a sort of tryout for a job that requires waking up stupidly early.  i thought a bright room might enable me to get up rather than turning off my alarm in my sleep, completely unaware.  i dunno if it will help, but i'm a bit desperate at this point.

i didn't have a problem setting it up, the control over color and brightness is amusing, and i was able to connect it to my echo and to set up schedules.  the only problem so far is that it hurts my eyes in its current fixture with a clear glass shade.  i'll remedy that.

i do like the idea of controlling multiple lights, but i recognize the problems that can arise with counting on internet devices to light your home.  i don't think i'll utilize smart lighting as more than a wake-up aid and novelty at this point.

i'll update if it gives me problems, for anyone who may be interested.

12 hours ago, doll said:

well, i picked up a lifx bulb yesterday rather than invest in something more significant like hue, or something more limited like a smart things? (i think that's the name) plug.  i've heard they can have problems maintaining a connection; we'll see how it goes.

the reason i wanted this was to use it as a light alarm.  i don't wake up easily, particularly if it's not bright outside, and i'm soon to do a sort of tryout for a job that requires waking up stupidly early.  i thought a bright room might enable me to get up rather than turning off my alarm in my sleep, completely unaware.  i dunno if it will help, but i'm a bit desperate at this point.

i didn't have a problem setting it up, the control over color and brightness is amusing, and i was able to connect it to my echo and to set up schedules.  the only problem so far is that it hurts my eyes in its current fixture with a clear glass shade.  i'll remedy that.

i do like the idea of controlling multiple lights, but i recognize the problems that can arise with counting on internet devices to light your home.  i don't think i'll utilize smart lighting as more than a wake-up aid and novelty at this point.

i'll update if it gives me problems, for anyone who may be interested.

refer to my post,

networked lights =/= internet lights.

you can have lights on a network that are completely isolated from the internet or any form of wifi.

also be aware the lifx light you have purchased is a wifi light?

and it has many security problems that wouldn't exist on a wired network light.

if you haven't already you should check if your lights are one of the ones which are exploitable and take the necessary precautions to protect yourself or get it exchanged for another one which isn't exploitable.

http://techtheday.com/smart-led-lights-leaking-wi-fi-password/

https://www.contextis.com/resources/blog/hacking-internet-connected-light-bulbs/