Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

Grepley

Science Salon: Organization Forum

36 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

@slade19 and I have come up with an idea of a book / paper reading circle, where the participants would try to read the selected paper (weekly) and the selected book (monthly) and then discuss it in the main thread and possibly on chat occasionally. The goal is to get out of our comfort zones by grappling with other fields academically and intellectually, both broadly and deeply.
It is really a win-win, since you get to widen your horizons, get an incentive with a deadline to read and discuss the material with others who did the same (and are likely just as new to the material), and overall it’s a good introduction to other fields. For the ones who suggest the material, it’s also an occasion to get an outside (de novo) outlook on their field and specific area of work that could lead to new insights in both directions.
It will likely, especially at first, be centered around science and math (and maybe history / philosophy of science as well.)

Our broad view is provided by academic papers, which are up for suggestion at any time by any participant. We are requesting seminal papers that have laid a foundation for the field, recent landmark papers, and will also take academic papers near completion by the proposing author for critique.
At least to start, @slade19 and I  will take the suggestions in-thread and arrange for a mixture of types and fields of papers, with one reading per week. The person that suggests the paper is responsible providing any additional background material necessary to put the paper into context. We expect that this will attract a broader audience and will attempt to select the majority of papers from those available online.

Our goal is to have every participant, as we go through the list of names, to suggest a landmark book/textbook in a subject of their choice for all to read and discuss afterwards. This is the opportunity to deeply grapple with other fields. On the practical side of the book reading, here is what we came up with:
Regular participants are ordered into a list, making sure that areas of interest don’t lie close to each other (no two physicists closer than, say, two places, for example) to avoid repeats that might discourage some who don’t like the subject.
As we go through the list, the “host” of the month proposes 3 to 4 books that will get voted on by those willing to read that month to select the one that will be chosen to read; the host may also ask for suggestions if he or she so chooses. (The voting system is still up for discussion - currently we are thinking weighted choice or unweighted multiple choice).
Considering that some textbooks are sometimes excessively big and/or expensive, it’s possible to fix an upper bound for what can be expected to be read (meaning that if I suggest a 1000 page long book, I have to select the essential chapters that would make up, say, 300 pages, so that everyone willing to participate may, without being left behind).
We decided the choice of a book would be made two months before the actual deadline (initially it was one month, but considering that some might need to ask their public library for inter-library loan or receive a copy mailed round-robin in a circle provided by a volunteer, we extended the period). We can also look for other solutions collectively in the case of expensive books for people with no access to an academic library, for example.
***Please note that discussion of copyright violations on INTJf will result in consequences for the board. Do not discuss copyright violations in these threads or PM.
We would like to start the first book reading in March, so with organizing in January we will be a bit shorter than the goal of two months. To expedite the initial selection, @slade19 will be the first book host.

This project is, admittedly, biased in favor of technical readings, not really popular science / vulgarization, but that can mean textbooks, such that anyone with a decent high-school education should be able to work their way through it with patience, dedication, and discussion. That’s also where voting gets all its value for the books: the group can figure out what it can reasonably expect to understand or not so as to avoid any excess. We are hoping for some more casual participants as time or interest strikes, and a core group that does most of the readings, time permitting.
We also know it is ambitious to do both papers and books; although the book reading is at the core of what we envision, we thought the papers would provide a more steady discussion throughout the month, and provide more accessibility for those with little time. The levels of either can also be adjusted after trying the weekly paper and monthly book schedule.

Please indicate in the thread below your interest level in participating (just reading along, reading and discussion, suggesting papers, hosting books), how often you might participate (and whether that is based on time or interests or both), and your primary interest (papers, books). If you are willing to host books, please indicate what field(s) you would likely host in for organizing the host list. If you are interested in suggesting papers, please do so! 

The first discussion paper is posted: Science Salon: 2017 January. 

If you have ideas for papers, please feel free to PM them to me @Grepley or @slade19! Don't feel intimidated by the background material for the first paper, I put a lot of work into it for background on a seminal paper, plus people do not know much about Earth Sciences typically.

Edited by Grepley

sounds cool!

logging off for day (fam), but will check in (and self-assess) mañana!

Posted (edited)

I would be happy to suggest readings (from science, philosophy, or the humanities) dealing with consciousness.  My main academic area is theoretical/philosophical psychology, so I could do anything from there more generally (maybe @Junk would be able and willing to field experimental psych?).

It's possible that I will have enough time this semester to at least start a discussion on theoretical/philosophical psych--an abbreviated history, its current state, and potential future(s).  If not this semester, definitely over the summer (or maybe spring break)!

Edited by Suraj

This sounds great. While I would love to participate, I fear my work load during the semester might preclude me from being able to keep up with the readings. I might have to pop in and out of discussion or disappear entirely for periods of time.

I'll be traveling the next couple days, but when I get back home I can compile a list of suggested books and papers in general (cultural) anthropology and biological anthropology (race, human evolution and devopment, health).

I'd like to audit.

Will read if the materials are available through the library, and might ask some questions.

I will attempt to keep up with reading and discussion.  

I, too, fear that my reading list will be too demanding this upcoming semester to participate.  But, if anybody has an interest in implicit learning, attention, or iconic and short-term memory, I can supply some articles.  Also, I have over 50 articles on evolutionary psychology in my Google docs page or whatever.  I can share them if I can learn how to do that again.

My interest would depend on the book chosen, though I'm extremely skeptical about the concept.

8 minutes ago, lor6 said:

My interest would depend on the book chosen, though I'm extremely skeptical about the concept.

You're skeptical about a book club?   I've done this before with the California Academy of Sciences.   Reading a book a month is nothing. Even reading half of one is educational.

2 minutes ago, Kisai said:

You're skeptical about a book club?   I've done this before with the California Academy of Sciences.   Reading a book a month is nothing. Even reading half of one is educational.

I'm skeptical about anyone being able to read the type of book suggested from fields they know nothing about in a month; unless they just stick to topics they're already familiar with, which would defeat the stated purpose.

7 minutes ago, lor6 said:

I'm skeptical about anyone being able to read the type of book suggested from fields they know nothing about in a month; unless they just stick to topics they're already familiar with, which would defeat the stated purpose.

They're not going over in books what'll take more than a high school education to understand.  And you can just pick through the papers.

I generally come here to get away from stuffy topics and goof around, but wouldn't mind reading some cool new papers in different fields of science. I'm a PhD student in neuroscience with a focus on psychiatric genetics and epigenetics (earlier background in psych), so I'd be glad to contribute some really neat papers that cut across a few fields. I likely won't have the time to dedicate to full text-books, sadly. Might I suggest that contributers offer a review article to anchor people in, and an original article for the nitty gritty?

good morning!

@Grepley, i'll commit to reading (everything) and discussing (as fits). i'd only suggest the papers be bi-weekly rather than weekly (because of people's lives), but will commit either way.

i don't think i'll have papers to contribute, but may be able to contribute a cool seminal book or two.

15 minutes ago, toki said:

:curtain: 

lol. toki is more entp about information than the forum's actual entps.

13 minutes ago, Whoops said:

lol. toki is more entp about information than the forum's actual entps.

That makes no sense.

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

That makes no sense.

i bet toki thinks it does.

"okay."

2 hours ago, lor6 said:

The suggested books would be textbooks aimed at students in the field. Such students are coming from highschool, so if they are able to manage through it, so can anyone willing to read it recreationally who has the same education. Besides, no one is going to test you and the goal isn't that you swallow it but get a chance to grapple with the ideas and facts, and discuss them here. And learn lots of new things.

Example of a perfectly readable textbook I might suggest: "Introduction to genetic analysis" by Griffiths, Wessler, Carroll and Doebley. It's a long book, but the content is really simple to go through and it touches on different bigger fields like epigenetics, population genetics, bioengineering, evolutionary genetics, applications in medecine... It's an introduction with numerous examples and little technicality, anyone can read it and understand all of it.

Example of a book I will not suggest until I am confident participants might be able to handle it and all easier alternatives are exhausted (which is not happening anytime soon): "Cellular and biomolecular mechanics in mechanobiology" by Gefen. The book is much smaller, but even I wouldn't go through it without difficulty and being a little lost, since it's aimed at masters or PhD students in a specialized area.

People will be fine with the kind of textbooks we can propose, and they can ask all necessary questions here, and they have no obligation whatsoever.

ambitious project, grepley and slade! 

i'll peek in your threads here and there, but won't be able to commit the time to some, or even most, of the activities of the science salon.

1 hour ago, Nemesis said:

Might I suggest that contributers offer a review article to anchor people in, and an original article for the nitty gritty?

That may be interesting: consider that it may be an exercise in article critique: "spot the inaccuracy".

1 hour ago, slade19 said:

The suggested books would be textbooks aimed at students in the field. Such students are coming from highschool, so if they are able to manage through it, so can anyone willing to read it recreationally who has the same education. Besides, no one is going to test you and the goal isn't that you swallow it but get a chance to grapple with the ideas and facts, and discuss them here. And learn lots of new things.

Example of a perfectly readable textbook I might suggest: "Introduction to genetic analysis" by Griffiths, Wessler, Carroll and Doebley. It's a long book, but the content is really simple to go through and it touches on different bigger fields like epigenetics, population genetics, bioengineering, evolutionary genetics, applications in medecine... It's an introduction with numerous examples and little technicality, anyone can read it and understand all of it.

Example of a book I will not suggest until I am confident participants might be able to handle it and all easier alternatives are exhausted (which is not happening anytime soon): "Cellular and biomolecular mechanics in mechanobiology" by Gefen. The book is much smaller, but even I wouldn't go through it without difficulty and being a little lost, since it's aimed at masters or PhD students in a specialized area.

People will be fine with the kind of textbooks we can propose, and they can ask all necessary questions here, and they have no obligation whatsoever.

Okay, thank you. I misunderstood.

My background is in bioinformatics and I could contribute material on the field itself and various fields associated with it. The next two months are going to be very busy, though, so that I would prefer just reading during that time.

I can contribute material in Biology/biotechnology, but also in physics/chemistry if no one better suited than me participates (which I hope will not be the case). I can also be a filler for other fields.

Earth Science (geology in general - good background in mineralogy, petrology, tectonics, neotectoics / paleoseismics, structural / field geology, paleoclimatology. Specialty in geomorphology / quaternary geochronology.) 
I can also do ecology if we don't have any biologists in that field.
I am expecting that people would be interested in a good introductory earth sciences text, and a good paleoclimatology workthrough with focus on implications for climate change.

Can do basics in chemistry and physics - things I would be interested in working through include Fermi's Thermodynamics and the foundations of chemistry used in computational chemistry. 

Will be happy to learn anything the biologists dish out; my background in the field is through genetics and in ecology.

I hope we get some physicists and chemists too - also math, we need some canine participation, @Monte314.

I have a particular background in physics. But I am often busy, so I will, just occasionally, partecipate.