Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

Stealthjelly

Anyone good with Event Viewer ID's?

Having some odd issues with my pc lately, so I had a look in event viewer. This is on Windows 10 64-bit.

First problem is my screen randomly going black very briefly, sometimes 2 or 3 flashes at a time. A rare occurence mostly, but this just started lately and I'm hoping to figure out the cause. Possible Event Viewer related ID, under "Warning": 4101. Source: Display. I'm using an amd r9 390, if that helps.

The next thing I saaw looking in event viewer was under "Error" and had the event ID 10016. Source: DistributedCOM. I have zero idea what this means, even after looking it up online. Can anyone give me some idea what this might be? 2 cases in the last hour, 6 cases in the last 24 hours, 16 in the last 7 days. Seems a bit much.

I also have 14 cases in the last 7 days of an error with amdpusrsvc (event ID: 0), 2 of those in the last 24 hours. Don't know if this is related or serious.

Any help is much appreciated.

I had a similar problem on my last computer. That's a display driver error. Have you updated your graphics drivers?

There should be more detail given in Event viewer when you click on each. If you can't see it, go View -> Preview Pane.

A quick google suggests that 4101 is the display driver crashing and restarting itself, which will line up with the flashes you're seeing. Could be software (driver) or hardware. Try updating as boba said, or if you're at the latest driver, try rolling back to a previous version. AMD aren't known for writing great drivers... If you're still having issues after that, consider a potential hardware fault. 

The DCOM failure could be anything, DCOM is just two other components talking to each other. Google suggests 10016 is a permissions thing, but without out knowing which components, could be anything. Not necessarily an issue mind you. Very possibly related to amdpusrsvc, which I'm guessing translates to AMD user (mode) service, which will be part of the driver talking to things over DCOM. 

18 hours ago, HackerX said:

AMD aren't known for writing great drivers

They weren't known for writing great drivers. Current drivers are way better than what Nvidia has to offer. They have been for the last few years now.

I'd do a clean driver install if I were you. Download new drivers but before you install them, download and run display driver uninstaller to completely remove the old drivers: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Windows events tend to be a wild goose chase. I work as a sysadmin and I don't ever remember a problem I solved by looking at event viewer, despite looking at event viewer every time I had a problem to solve. If event viewer is useful for anything, it's for identifying which applications you should search for seperate logs. Even Windows Update has a much more useful seperate log.

If you can't fix it in the first 5 links on google, reinstall Windows. 

Edited by razgrim