Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

Mattandsuch

Mass Effect: Andromeda

38 posts in this topic

I am kind of looking forward to this. I enjoyed the original trilogy. Not so much how they ended the last one, but whatever. The gist is, this story takes place six hundred years after the last trilogy. The crew has been in stasis and traveled to the next galaxy over. 

I have a bad feeling that they're going to apply the boring Dragon Age Inquisition exploration formula to Andromeda. On top of that I have no interest in a new galaxy. And the facial animations look super retarded. It's a new level of Bioware faces. It's just weird. I don't like anything about it.

49 minutes ago, SarcasticVlad said:

I have a bad feeling that they're going to apply the boring Dragon Age Inquisition exploration formula to Andromeda. On top of that I have no interest in a new galaxy. And the facial animations look super retarded. It's a new level of Bioware faces. It's just weird. I don't like anything about it.

IM AFRAID OF CHANGE NOW GET OFF MY LAWN. '

I have yet to play Dragon Age, btw.

I'm looking forward to it.  I kind of hope they return to more of the RPG style of the first Mass Effect and less to the shooter style of the second and third, but that doesn't seem likely since their "progression" was from RPG to third person shooter.  Still, the story line alone will be enough for me to pick it up.

Having seen the few videos of Andromeda so far, it looks like it's still heavily an FPS. I just hope they didn't remove any more RPG elements. I like using the right tool for the job and not just shoot everything with the two types of weapons you're good with.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

6 hours ago, Mattandsuch said:

It's not change that bothers me. I am simply not interested in exploring a new galaxy just because Bioware writers couldn't find a way to keep the game in an already established galaxy. I love Mass Effect BECAUSE of how OUR GALAXY is depicted in that game. That's what matters to me, it's what Mass Effect is as far as I'm concerned. If they want to make a game set in a different galaxy they might as well make it a new IP. Just because they weren't talented enough to write something that makes sense after writing themselves into a corner with that shitty ending, doesn't mean that I have to accept it. It's a stupid idea and I don't want to be a part of it.

5 hours ago, bobabrowncoat said:

Having seen the few videos of Andromeda so far, it looks like it's still heavily an FPS. I just hope they didn't remove any more RPG elements. I like using the right tool for the job and not just shoot everything with the two types of weapons you're good with.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

I have the same opinion. Yes I'm a good shoot, but playing Soldier in 2-3 was so easy simply due to superior aim. The first game was challenging, and not in just the "tack a barrier/armor on the npc" kind of way.

Tangent, but that that annoyed the hell out of me.

3 hours ago, SarcasticVlad said:

It's not change that bothers me. I am simply not interested in exploring a new galaxy just because Bioware writers couldn't find a way to keep the game in an already established galaxy. I love Mass Effect BECAUSE of how OUR GALAXY is depicted in that game. That's what matters to me, it's what Mass Effect is as far as I'm concerned. If they want to make a game set in a different galaxy they might as well make it a new IP. Just because they weren't talented enough to write something that makes sense after writing themselves into a corner with that shitty ending, doesn't mean that I have to accept it. It's a stupid idea and I don't want to be a part of it.

How? The game has always been about aliens and a sci-fi world. I don't see why you would want to attached to the hip of the Milky Way. 

Yup, yup.

The more its like DA:I the better, I think.

And I'm going to say this right now: People are going to hate the scanning thing, but I think I will really like that part. Also, really can't wait to see what kind of political decisions we have to make. Stuff like the war table, Power, Influence and that whole ball of wax. But tbh, I think we have some clues on that atm. Its the Nexus meter and progress for the different missions/planets.

...... added to this post 5 minutes later:

11 hours ago, Mattandsuch said:

I have yet to play Dragon Age, btw.

Play it, its like 10 bucks on origin. That's quite a price for a AAA game with graphics that still hold par in today's games. I actually really really liked DA:I, possibly more that DA:O, which many people consider a classic.

5 hours ago, Carnal said:

How? The game has always been about aliens and a sci-fi world. I don't see why you would want to attached to the hip of the Milky Way. 

It's not just about aliens, it's about humanity's role in the intergalactic politics. I want to explore more of The Citadel instead of just the tiny bit that last gen consoles allowed. I want to explore Palaven, Thessia, The Migrant Fleet, Omega etc. We've only seen glimpses of those places in previous Mass Effect games. But the galaxy is freakin' enormous. It's so huge that it boggles the mind how Bioware writers can be so monumentally stupid and not realize the size and scope of what they have on their hands. They just gave up on it because they didn't know how to write it after that stupid ending.

I'm excited for it, but like others I am concerned about how much FPS there is going to be compared to RPG elements. I like games that give me a lot of options in terms of how to handle a situation, and I don't really enjoy spending 40 hours shooting enemies. I'd rather spend 40 hours doing fetch quests, as long as there is some nice dialogue/writing to accompany it.

I really hope it isn't like inquisition, as that whole game suffered from a real sense of detachment for me.

At the end of the day the most important thing for me is not the gameplay mechanics, but how much I love the universe and its characters.

4 hours ago, Analyze said:

I really hope it isn't like inquisition, as that whole game suffered from a real sense of detachment for me.

Yup. There's way too much filler content in Inquisition. And you had to do a lot of it to gain influence for the main missions. Abysmal design decision. I'm willing to bet that Andromeda will suffer from a similar problem. AAA games from publishers like EA and Ubisoft are becoming increasingly formulaic.

13 hours ago, QuickTwist said:

People are going to hate the scanning thing, but I think I will really like that part.

so, i have this problem where i'll get REALLY into a game and then just burn out before i finish.  i put probably 150 hours into da:i and fallout 4 both and didn't finish either.  i think i'm likely to go back to fo4 and finish the game, but i don't remember the gameplay on da:i very well, or the story for that matter, which means i would prefer to start over.

that's not going to happen.  you wanna know what crossed my mind the last time i contemplated a new game?  "ugh, but the scanning.  picking the stupid plants.  NO."

i want to be excited about a new mass effect that moved away from the botched previous story, and i loved the combat of 2 and 3 (less so 1 because i felt perpetually undergeared as i fail at hacking).  the scanning, however, concerns me.  and if i'm basically given da:i with guns, i doubt i'll finish even though i'm likely to pick it up.

devs really got onto the whole open-world train, but there's something to be said for well-crafted actual levels/areas tied to story missions.  open-world, especially with pick-up-five-million-of-these-things style mechanics get bogged down in repetitive same-iness.

fingers crossed.  

eta - also what Vlad said.

Edited by doll

On 12/31/2016 at 0:18 PM, SarcasticVlad said:

Yup. There's way too much filler content in Inquisition. And you had to do a lot of it to gain influence for the main missions. Abysmal design decision. I'm willing to bet that Andromeda will suffer from a similar problem. AAA games from publishers like EA and Ubisoft are becoming increasingly formulaic.

Totally agreed.  I spent the first 20 hours of that shit game feeling like I was playing through the newbie quests of a single player MMO.  To add insult to injury, it had one of the lamest skill trees of almost any game ever, and somehow expected me to slog through another 40-odd hours of the same miserable combat and... story?  There was a story in DA:I, wasn't there?  I couldn't tell.  I was too busy wandering around a circle on  my minimap looking for 1/5 rat tails.

Dragon Age has been dead ever since Origins.  Mass Effect is on the fence, but I'm optimistic. 

On 12/31/2016 at 0:44 PM, doll said:

so, i have this problem where i'll get REALLY into a game and then just burn out before i finish.  i put probably 150 hours into da:i and fallout 4 both and didn't finish either.  i think i'm likely to go back to fo4 and finish the game, but i don't remember the gameplay on da:i very well, or the story for that matter, which means i would prefer to start over.

that's not going to happen.  you wanna know what crossed my mind the last time i contemplated a new game?  "ugh, but the scanning.  picking the stupid plants.  NO."

i want to be excited about a new mass effect that moved away from the botched previous story, and i loved the combat of 2 and 3 (less so 1 because i felt perpetually undergeared as i fail at hacking).  the scanning, however, concerns me.  and if i'm basically given da:i with guns, i doubt i'll finish even though i'm likely to pick it up.

devs really got onto the whole open-world train, but there's something to be said for well-crafted actual levels/areas tied to story missions.  open-world, especially with pick-up-five-million-of-these-things style mechanics get bogged down in repetitive same-iness.

fingers crossed.  

eta - also what Vlad said.

OK, so here is my suggestion (if you want to get back into DA:I). Load up your most recent save. Then read all the codex's and all other relevant material according to your quest objectives and what not. Also take a look at the war table and read what you have done there. 150 hours is a long time for a single playthrough of that game; I'm guessing you have multiple characters. FYI I have 487 hours on DA:I and have barely touched the DLC and only finished the main questline once, so I know what you are talking about when you say you don't usually "finish" and game. Don't worry so much about that though, just enjoy the experience as you are doing it. DA:O however, I think I have finished about 4 times, doing mostly close to completionist runs.

And ironically, I don't know that I have ever finished a single game of the ME series except possibly ME2. I remember really liking that game when I played it though. that doesn't change my excitement for ME:A, however. I can't wait to dig into it!

22 minutes ago, QuickTwist said:

OK, so here is my suggestion (if you want to get back into DA:I). Load up your most recent save. Then read all the codex's and all other relevant material according to your quest objectives and what not. Also take a look at the war table and read what you have done there. 150 hours is a long time for a single playthrough of that game; I'm guessing you have multiple characters. FYI I have 487 hours on DA:I and have barely touched the DLC and only finished the main questline once, so I know what you are talking about when you say you don't usually "finish" and game. Don't worry so much about that though, just enjoy the experience as you are doing it. DA:O however, I think I have finished about 4 times, doing mostly close to completionist runs.

And ironically, I don't know that I have ever finished a single game of the ME series except possibly ME2. I remember really liking that game when I played it though. that doesn't change my excitement for ME:A, however. I can't wait to dig into it!

i started the game with an archer or something, decided in the first encounter that i hated that class and restarted for melee.  all the rest of that time was one character.  i was actively avoiding progressing the story at one point because i didn't want to miss anything, didn't want to discover i had inadvertently locked myself out of doing something.  i was talking to everyone, doing every quest, picking up every plant and stone and... whatever the items were you find looking through the skulls, reading every entry, killing every enemy i saw.  granted, there was also a lot of time stopping to vape and contemplate, or pausing to feed the kids, or asking their opinion or showing them something, or looking up different builds, or wondering which character to romance (never did decide if my inquisitor preferred Cassandra for her similar social class and fighting prowess or Dorian because damn).  i spent a lot of time buried in menus, trying to make even better armor, better weapons, deciding how best to equip everyone and what to sell.  also spent a lot of time clicking back and forth on the map to grow plants for health pots, because i suck and my reaver could put out some damage and also die from a hangnail.

no, i'm not a quick player, and i tried to be a completionist.  but now i don't think i care enough about the story (never played previous entries tho i know a little from the fandom) to go back.

Noah Caldwell-Gervais does analysis type vids on youtube; he did say he hadn't liked the game much until he undertook a second playthrough with all dlc and actively avoided busy-work.  i made the mistake of doing so much busy-work i kind of ruined the experience for myself.

i did complete me2 and 3, and i did 2 like 3 times.  the first time i played it i scanned every planet because i could just zone out and do it while listening to music; the second time i remembered which planets were worth scanning and left it at that.  

when i think about da:i now, the only thing that stands out is the area where you see a potential future outcome for the world.  it was a defined area with a particular mission, distinct, shocking, it felt very different from the open world, you make your way through and never go back.  that's what i think da:i could use more of, what many games seem to have lost.  mass effect, up to this point, has been comprised of such distinct areas with a clear story purpose (excepting hub areas).  different looks, different information, making your way through progresses the story and you don't go back to the exact same spot and fight the exact same enemies a second (or third or fourth) time to complete some trivial side quest.

i've spent a lot of time since then on bloodborne and dark souls 3.  i won't say i never repeat areas to farm for items or levels, but the game itself doesn't feel like it asks you to do that either, and the basic goal is clear - keep trying to push a little further than before.

as much as i hated the way me3 veered off-course story-wise, the actual gameplay was fine for me.  i would hate to see andromeda turn into the endless busy-work that my da:i experience became, though i understand that i did not have to play that way.  i would like it to be the kind of game that doesn't let you slip into that approach.

30 minutes ago, doll said:

i started the game with an archer or something, decided in the first encounter that i hated that class and restarted for melee.  all the rest of that time was one character.  i was actively avoiding progressing the story at one point because i didn't want to miss anything, didn't want to discover i had inadvertently locked myself out of doing something.  i was talking to everyone, doing every quest, picking up every plant and stone and... whatever the items were you find looking through the skulls, reading every entry, killing every enemy i saw.  granted, there was also a lot of time stopping to vape and contemplate, or pausing to feed the kids, or asking their opinion or showing them something, or looking up different builds, or wondering which character to romance (never did decide if my inquisitor preferred Cassandra for her similar social class and fighting prowess or Dorian because damn).  i spent a lot of time buried in menus, trying to make even better armor, better weapons, deciding how best to equip everyone and what to sell.  also spent a lot of time clicking back and forth on the map to grow plants for health pots, because i suck and my reaver could put out some damage and also die from a hangnail.

no, i'm not a quick player, and i tried to be a completionist.  but now i don't think i care enough about the story (never played previous entries tho i know a little from the fandom) to go back.

Noah Caldwell-Gervais does analysis type vids on youtube; he did say he hadn't liked the game much until he undertook a second playthrough with all dlc and actively avoided busy-work.  i made the mistake of doing so much busy-work i kind of ruined the experience for myself.

i did complete me2 and 3, and i did 2 like 3 times.  the first time i played it i scanned every planet because i could just zone out and do it while listening to music; the second time i remembered which planets were worth scanning and left it at that.  

when i think about da:i now, the only thing that stands out is the area where you see a potential future outcome for the world.  it was a defined area with a particular mission, distinct, shocking, it felt very different from the open world, you make your way through and never go back.  that's what i think da:i could use more of, what many games seem to have lost.  mass effect, up to this point, has been comprised of such distinct areas with a clear story purpose (excepting hub areas).  different looks, different information, making your way through progresses the story and you don't go back to the exact same spot and fight the exact same enemies a second (or third or fourth) time to complete some trivial side quest.

i've spent a lot of time since then on bloodborne and dark souls 3.  i won't say i never repeat areas to farm for items or levels, but the game itself doesn't feel like it asks you to do that either, and the basic goal is clear - keep trying to push a little further than before.

as much as i hated the way me3 veered off-course story-wise, the actual gameplay was fine for me.  i would hate to see andromeda turn into the endless busy-work that my da:i experience became, though i understand that i did not have to play that way.  i would like it to be the kind of game that doesn't let you slip into that approach.

I hear tresspasser makes DA:I worth it story-wise, but I haven't actually played that yet. I have, however, used the golden nug, so now all I need to do is get the mats and I can make the best stuff in the game. Getting mats can be accomplished pretty early on in the game -- just go to hinterlands and go back to haven and just grab everything you need at base camp. plenty of iron, ram/nug/druffalo leather to take you pretty far in one go if you clean up everything. The only problem is cloth, which can be easily gotten from templars and mages in the hinterlands.

It sounds like you burnt yourself out in DA:I, that's too bad, its one of my favorite games.

I would say take it easy on the scanning in ME:A or that will end up the same way as DA:I. Afterall, ME:A is supposed to be focused on exploration, so I think it will be very similar to DA:I that way.

I'm also looking forward to the PC release of FFXV, granted there is one. I don't care for console anymore, so I just play everything on my beastly PC instead.

As an aside, it really is too bad the official BW forums went caput. Now all that's left is empty speculation on the unofficial forums. *sigh* I had made some good friendships there and IDK if I will get to even see them anymore now that the official forums are no more.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 11:24 PM, Carnal said:

I get vlad's point.

setting matters.  take star wars for example.  how much different would it be if you suddenly up and changed the galaxy it was set in?  started telling stories set in a galaxy without coruscant, tattoine, alderaan, or hoth?  or star trek, telling stories set in a galaxy with no Earth, no Vulcan, no Romulus or whatever the hell the Klingon homeworld is called?

its not just about aliens and sci-fi... the whole setting comes together to form a coherent and consistent whole.  that's one of the fundamental aspects of good storytelling.  bioware dropped the ball at the end of ME3, basically painted themselves into a corner.  with Andromeda they're trying to cut their way out through the wall.  it might work, if the writing is good enough.  but the problem is that maintaining internal consistency with this drastic a shift in setting is a writer's worst nightmare and to pull it off in a plausible and internally consistent manner is very difficult.

it would've been easier for bioware to just create a new IP, no doubt.  but the mass effect IP is worth a lot of money, and painted into a corner or not, bioware and EA want to do everything they can to capitalize on that fact, so they'll take the risk with the storytelling in the hope it pays off.  worst case scenario from their perspective is that it doesn't pan out, they shelve the IP and do create a new IP.  sucks for fans, but makes sense from a business perspective.

...... added to this post 7 minutes later:

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 4:19 AM, SarcasticVlad said:

It's not just about aliens, it's about humanity's role in the intergalactic politics. I want to explore more of The Citadel instead of just the tiny bit that last gen consoles allowed. I want to explore Palaven, Thessia, The Migrant Fleet, Omega etc. We've only seen glimpses of those places in previous Mass Effect games. But the galaxy is freakin' enormous. It's so huge that it boggles the mind how Bioware writers can be so monumentally stupid and not realize the size and scope of what they have on their hands. They just gave up on it because they didn't know how to write it after that stupid ending.

I saw an idea on the bioware forums shortly after the debacle of the ME3 ending, about where the series could go next (a lot of people worried that the series had dead ended).

the idea was that the alien preacher we see as background fluff on omega in ME2, the one talking about how humanity was a plague on the galaxy, managed to get himself a following and it would be up to the protagonist of the new game to prevent an alien crusade against humanity.  add in the difficulty in travel around the galaxy and the resultant isolation of colonies and outposts imposed by the destruction of the mass relays and you got a lot of opportunities for the player character to be really influential on galactic events in spite of being a relative unknown who isn't endowed with spectre authority or any other such literary device that permits the character to have influence above their position in the setting.

4 hours ago, Shadeylark said:

I saw an idea on the bioware forums shortly after the debacle of the ME3 ending, about where the series could go next (a lot of people worried that the series had dead ended).

the idea was that the alien preacher we see as background fluff on omega in ME2, the one talking about how humanity was a plague on the galaxy, managed to get himself a following and it would be up to the protagonist of the new game to prevent an alien crusade against humanity.  add in the difficulty in travel around the galaxy and the resultant isolation of colonies and outposts imposed by the destruction of the mass relays and you got a lot of opportunities for the player character to be really influential on galactic events in spite of being a relative unknown who isn't endowed with spectre authority or any other such literary device that permits the character to have influence above their position in the setting.

Or they could have just set the game before the events of Mass Effect 3. Actually, if it were set between Mass Effect 1 and 2 that would have been ideal. And with trillions of people living in the galaxy, surely they could have figured out a story that doesn't revolve around you being the chosen one. I would have loved a game about a galactic assassin or a thief. Or perhaps a crime drama or a thriller about a C-Sec officer that discovers some kind of political conspiracy. The galaxy is so big that the possibilities are virtually endless.

Look at The Witcher 3 for example. Sure there was that bit about saving the world from the White Frost at the end, but that wasn't what the story was about and it wasn't the player that had to save the world. That was Ciri's thing. The game was about a father looking for his daughter midst a political turmoil and war with Nilfgaard. The expansions were even more focused and smaller in scope and the game benefited from that.

...... added to this post 3 minutes later:

15 hours ago, QuickTwist said:

I hear tresspasser makes DA:I worth it story-wise

Only the ending (it is a glorious ending) because it sets a very interesting stage for the next Dragon Age. However, that doesn't mean that Bioware will deliver a good story. They have this tendency to fuck it up just when it's about to become interesting.

I couldn't have finished Dragon Age Inquisition without a trainer. It would have been too boring and I'm not running around for hours doing boring fetch quests.

I'm not interested in Andromeda, like I'm not interested in GTA V, somewhere I had to realize the size of my skull and draw a line. Videogames should kickstart people, not delude them into redundant pleasure, Andromeda is a game like that, it will reveal the weak.

1 hour ago, SarcasticVlad said:

Only the ending (it is a glorious ending) because it sets a very interesting stage for the next Dragon Age. However, that doesn't mean that Bioware will deliver a good story. They have this tendency to fuck it up just when it's about to become interesting.

I couldn't have finished Dragon Age Inquisition without a trainer. It would have been too boring and I'm not running around for hours doing boring fetch quests.

Not to mention all the writers who end up quitting. However this does produce an interesting thing that could happen with a possible BGIII.

11 hours ago, Shadeylark said:

I get vlad's point.

setting matters.  take star wars for example.  how much different would it be if you suddenly up and changed the galaxy it was set in?  started telling stories set in a galaxy without coruscant, tattoine, alderaan, or hoth?  or star trek, telling stories set in a galaxy with no Earth, no Vulcan, no Romulus or whatever the hell the Klingon homeworld is called?

its not just about aliens and sci-fi... the whole setting comes together to form a coherent and consistent whole.  that's one of the fundamental aspects of good storytelling.  bioware dropped the ball at the end of ME3, basically painted themselves into a corner.  with Andromeda they're trying to cut their way out through the wall.  it might work, if the writing is good enough.  but the problem is that maintaining internal consistency with this drastic a shift in setting is a writer's worst nightmare and to pull it off in a plausible and internally consistent manner is very difficult.

it would've been easier for bioware to just create a new IP, no doubt.  but the mass effect IP is worth a lot of money, and painted into a corner or not, bioware and EA want to do everything they can to capitalize on that fact, so they'll take the risk with the storytelling in the hope it pays off.  worst case scenario from their perspective is that it doesn't pan out, they shelve the IP and do create a new IP.  sucks for fans, but makes sense from a business perspective.

...... added to this post 7 minutes later:

You mean the expanded universe? There's hundreds of books that mentions planets and places not mentioned in the original movies...and I found the more enjoyable than the original movies. Star Wars is fascinating to me because it's vast and expansive. My biggest complaints with the franchise are when they rely too much on the stereotypical planets.

I could never understand wanting a sci-fi movie/story to only be about one galaxy or set of planets...truly perplexing

3 hours ago, Carnal said:

You mean the expanded universe? There's hundreds of books that mentions planets and places not mentioned in the original movies...and I found the more enjoyable than the original movies. Star Wars is fascinating to me because it's vast and expansive. My biggest complaints with the franchise are when they rely too much on the stereotypical planets.

I could never understand wanting a sci-fi movie/story to only be about one galaxy or set of planets...truly perplexing

It's still the same setting.  It's all about internal consistency.  The problem with going to a completely new setting is that the rules that keep things familiar go out the window.  It's very tough to successfully pull off as a writer.  Not impossible, but tough.  As evidenced by the multitude of EU books that tried to stray too far from the path and we're just meh, in spite of decent storylines that would've been ok but weren't internally consistent with the setting.

7 hours ago, Carnal said:

Yet both most major sci-fi stories take place in the same galaxy.

Your comment would make sense if the already established setting had been properly explored. But we've only seen small bits of the galaxy. And video games are very different from books and movies. They can accomplish a lot more. What would take pages to describe in a book could be a place that you can completely ignore in a video game if you so desire, or spend hours exploring it and  talking to people you encounter. You can't just skip around in a book like that and expect it to make sense. And movies are limited by length of the movie and by budget which is a lot more limiting. Look at how most alien species in Star Trek are humanoid. It's because of the budget of the show. Video games are limited mostly by imagination of creators and by technology of the time. There's a lot more I could say about this but it's getting late and I'm sleepy.

Ive been in love with Mass Effect for a few years now, this game looks really good in my opinion, and im excited :D 

Hopefully my PC will run it, if not the PS4 will have to do :(