Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

Kprog

The Most Disgusting Foods You've Eaten

184 posts in this topic

Smoked fish as a general rule is wonderful. Where I grew up, fishermen often had smoke shacks along the shore. As you are driving, you can pull over and buy fish that was just swimming around yesterday. So so good. 

This thread has taken a favorable turn for me, away from nightmare inducing food and toward pure yumminess!

another local delicacy in springtime: smoked Connecticut River shad :faint:

or even better - smoked Connecticut River shad roe :faint::faint:

1 hour ago, Swamp Yankee said:

It's a strong-flavored fish - many people don't like eating it baked or fried. But take a few of the smaller bluefish and smoke them in apple wood, and they're really delicious - a perfect fish for smoking.

I would try it, definitely. :nice:

1 hour ago, Eclipsed said:

Smoked kippers?

Try Arbroath Smokies. They're made in Abroath. You buy them in Arbroath.

MatthewSmith0008.jpg

slideshow-01.jpg

The best in the world, Clipsie! Och aye.

Just now, Madden said:

I would try it, definitely. :nice:

The best in the world, Clipsie! Och aye.

Haddock...you love haddock in all its forms, don't you. :nice:

Just now, Swamp Yankee said:

Haddock...you love haddock in all its forms, don't you. :nice:

Very much so! I love all sorts of fish, actually. :thinking:

I know smoking the fish detracts from its healthiness factor, but once in a while, it's irresistible. With buttered toast. And pepper. I mean....seriously.

You won't get any argument from me...I love smoked fish!

and then there's unagi :faint:

24 minutes ago, Swamp Yankee said:

You won't get any argument from me...I love smoked fish!

and then there's unagi :faint:

Is that Japanese smoked eels? You recommended those to me once...I tried them. I found the little crunchy bones a bit too much to handle. :ninja:

I think it's grilled freshwater eel...yeah the bones are a tad off-putting :whistle:

but the flavor is exquisite

1 hour ago, Cinder said:

Smoked fish as a general rule is wonderful. Where I grew up, fishermen often had smoke shacks along the shore. As you are driving, you can pull over and buy fish that was just swimming around yesterday. So so good. 

This thread has taken a favorable turn for me, away from nightmare inducing food and toward pure yumminess!

I missed this! Sorry. The smell of smoking fish is intoxicating. What, no takers for black pudding, then? :wideeyed:

49 minutes ago, Swamp Yankee said:

another local delicacy in springtime: smoked Connecticut River shad :faint:

or even better - smoked Connecticut River shad roe :faint::faint:

Haven't tried either. Where I live isn't a very fishy place at all. :disappointed:

1 minute ago, Swamp Yankee said:

I think it's grilled freshwater eel...yeah the bones are a tad off-putting :whistle:

but the flavor is exquisite

Smoky foods are wonderful. Evil, but wonderful.

Mmm, unagi.  My favorite.

Smoked salmon whether cold or hot smoking, unagi and anago, haddock....YUM!

Had the best haddock ever, in a Boston five star. It was simply done with some form of breading but with a combination of spices that I couldn't define which is unusual.  Perfectly cooked and very fresh. To die for! <3  

I don't eat a lot of gross stuff. When I was a kid I tried pork rhinds and I'd say those were the worst thing I've ever tasted. Now as an adult who knows they might taste fine to me but I don't care to try them. One year when I was a kid on New Years Eve my parents got Chinese takeout and I got food poisoning and I wouldn't go near an eggroll for probably at least a decade (any time my family got takeout my mom would make me something else as the smell of it would make my stomach churn) but I eat them all the time now and they're of course good. For alcohol Bombay Sapphire was the worst thing I've ever tasted. I ate octopus at a nice restaurant once and I got through it but it was no picnic. Too chewy and it smelled kinda bad. I've never eaten chocolate covered bugs or anything. At least not knowingly.

1 hour ago, Distance said:

Smoked salmon whether cold or hot smoking, unagi and anago, haddock....YUM!

Had the best haddock ever, in a Boston five star. It was simply done with some form of breading but with a combination of spices that I couldn't define which is unusual.  Perfectly cooked and very fresh. To die for! <3  

Back in the early 90s there used to be (maybe still is) a very casual seafood restaurant on Cape Cod in Wellfleet called Moby Dick :laugh:

It was the kind of place that you bellied up to the counter, placed your order, and they called out your number when it was done.  They served the best baked cod I've ever eaten - scrupulously fresh, caught on a jig that very day.  I talked with the owner and he explained that he always bought the cod that was caught on rod and reel as opposed to the cod that was caught in trawls. This was because the cod that was caught on a jig was brought to the surface and put on ice while it was still alive.  The trawled fish came up dead - and a bit mushier in the flesh.

They did very little in the way of seasoning it - they just sprinkled some bread crumbs on it and baked it up... and it was incredible.

But their steamer clams were sublime :faint:

35 minutes ago, Swamp Yankee said:

Back in the early 90s there used to be (maybe still is) a very casual seafood restaurant on Cape Cod in Wellfleet called Moby Dick :laugh:

It was the kind of place that you bellied up to the counter, placed your order, and they called out your number when it was done.  They served the best baked cod I've ever eaten - scrupulously fresh, caught on a jig that very day.  I talked with the owner and he explained that he always bought the cod that was caught on rod and reel as opposed to the cod that was caught in trawls. This was because the cod that was caught on a jig was brought to the surface and put on ice while it was still alive.  The trawled fish came up dead - and a bit mushier in the flesh.

They did very little in the way of seasoning it - they just sprinkled some bread crumbs on it and baked it up... and it was incredible.

But their steamer clams were sublime :faint:

Sounds divine! <3

Oh and yes, don't get me started on clams! If well cooked (not over or underdone, simmered/steamed in wine, herbs, etc. or stir fried with black bean sauce), they're amazing!

Ever been to the 13 Coins restaurant in Seattle? It's a 24 hour restaurant, one step up from fast food but with an old style mafia/Vegas feel to it.  Haven't been there for years but they have a bucket of clams that are delicious.  Bring a bib. :p  

18 minutes ago, Distance said:

Sounds divine! <3

Oh and yes, don't get me started on clams! If well cooked (not over or underdone, simmered/steamed in wine, herbs, etc. or stir fried with black bean sauce), they're amazing!

Ever been to the 13 Coins restaurant in Seattle? It's a 24 hour restaurant, one step up from fast food but with an old style mafia/Vegas feel to it.  Haven't been there for years but they have a bucket of clams that are delicious.  Bring a bib. :p  

Steamed soft shell clams, (or "steamers" or sometimes "pissers") as they're known around here, are usually very simply prepared. Steamed in salted water - they're typically served in a basket along with two ramekins; one containing the broth from steaming, and the other containing drawn butter.

You peel the skin of the "necks", then you dip the clam in the broth to wash off any sand, then dip them once in the butter then pop them in your mouth. 

The steamers we used to get at Moby Dick's were some of the best I've ever had - big juicy, clean and flavorful clams with no "mudders" in the whole lot of them. 

rfl_18598.jpg

5 minutes ago, Swamp Yankee said:

Steamed soft shell clams, (or "steamers" or sometimes "pissers") as they're known around here, are usually very simply prepared. Steamed in salted water - they're typically served in a basket along with two ramekins; one containing the broth from steaming, and the other containing drawn butter.

You peel the skin of the "necks", then you dip the clam in the broth to wash off any sand, then dip them once in the butter then pop them in your mouth. 

The steamers we used to get at Moby Dick's were some of the best I've ever had - big juicy, clean and flavorful clams with no "mudders" in the whole lot of them. 

Spoiler

rfl_18598.jpg

Yum! <3

I still remember how terrible the oyster was, which I ate when I was 4yrs old. Also, eggs. Cannot stand to smell them cook, Cannot even stand the scent when fresh (when I used to have a grocery store, I would feel ill if I caught a whiff of the eggs being stocked into the display cooler).

I have been a strict vegetarian since 5, so the next worst thing that I had ever eaten was a delicious heirloom tomato (my favorite variety), which was just delivered to my store straight from the farm.....along with corn...and if any of you are familiar with North Carolina corn, it always has worms in it (That's how you know it's fresh! According to my elderly customers). Anyway, second bite into my tomato, I discovered half of a corn worm :(. I threw up right in the back parking lot of my store, much to the amusement of my employees and the farmer.....I don't eat that variety of tomato anymore.

Edited by teri

5 hours ago, Madden said:

I missed this! Sorry. The smell of smoking fish is intoxicating. What, no takers for black pudding, then? :wideeyed:

No, no black pudding for me. I have tried and will try a good number of things, but that one makes me cringe. 

Someone mentioned chocolate covered bugs. I have eaten roasted ants and found them yummy. Grasshoppers are also great. Black pudding...I am too chicken!

Buckwheat. Yeah, it's just a grain, but it tastes like sh!t.

Not fond of quinoa. There's an almost soapy taste to it.

18 hours ago, Cinder said:

No, no black pudding for me. I have tried and will try a good number of things, but that one makes me cringe. 

Can't say I blame you. :laugh:

18 hours ago, Cinder said:

Someone mentioned chocolate covered bugs. I have eaten roasted ants and found them yummy. Grasshoppers are also great. Black pudding...I am too chicken!

I go the other way - the thought of knowingly eating any kind of insect, no matter how beautifully-prepared and disguised and spiced and plated, is off-putting.

9 minutes ago, Madden said:

I go the other way - the thought of knowingly eating any kind of insect, no matter how beautifully-prepared and disguised and spiced and plated, is off-putting.

My uncle was quite fond of walking around with a bag of them. He'd be munching away, offering some to everyone he passed at the farmer's market. The reactions he got were priceless.

Roasted ants taste a lot like popcorn. Grasshoppers are very good crispy, but getting a leg stuck in your teeth is irritating. 

47 minutes ago, Madden said:

the thought of knowingly eating any kind of insect, no matter how beautifully-prepared and disguised and spiced and plated, is off-putting.

Had some of those crunchies in a chocolate bar, they tasted fine but I gagged anyway because I knew what I was eating. I had to try it though, just for the experience- didn't even attempt the deep fried scorpions on a stick at the Wangfujing Night Food Street in Beijing:

warning: click the spoiler only if you're of strong constitution

Spoiler

Grilled-Scorpion.jpg

Oh my...I'm torn between being fascinated and feeling slightly nauseated. 

1 hour ago, Cinder said:

My uncle was quite fond of walking around with a bag of them. He'd be munching away, offering some to everyone he passed at the farmer's market. The reactions he got were priceless.

Roasted ants taste a lot like popcorn. Grasshoppers are very good crispy, but getting a leg stuck in your teeth is irritating. 

I don't at all doubt that they taste fine (it's just protein, after all, pretty much). What really gets to me, and makes me want to faint with horror and disgust, is the simple thought of eating, consuming, swallowing, tasting.....

Spoiler

their innards. :undecided:

43 minutes ago, Dancingqueen said:

Had some of those crunchies in a chocolate bar, they tasted fine but I gagged anyway because I knew what I was eating. I had to try it though, just for the experience- didn't even attempt the deep fried scorpions on a stick at the Wangfujing Night Food Street in Beijing:

warning: click the spoiler only if you're of strong constitution

Hide contents

Grilled-Scorpion.jpg

Okay, I don't mind looking at these, and I'd have a good nosy at them at the market (amongst the other insectoid delights). Wouldn't mind people eating them, etc. I'd be fascinated by the cultural differences, and the fact that people don't find them off-putting, all that good cultural/social analysis. But yeah....again, it's the thought of the....

Spoiler

squishy, bursting, popping

Spoiler

innards.

41 minutes ago, Cinder said:

Oh my...I'm torn between being fascinated and feeling slightly nauseated. 

Would you try them?