Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

Tito

People treat you differently because of your car?

47 posts in this topic
1 minute ago, BoydBros said:

I agree. The lines on these cars ... damn, like the curves of the human form ... true artistry

I take it a whole lot further. Ethics (in the original Greek) teaches us that there's such a thing as ethical lines in architecture. It's quite dis-similar to beauty as we know it. (We don't need an education or repeated exposure to "get" say..the Taj Mahal.)

Crazy perhaps but I extend design ethics to cars. e.g. a 60s E-Type actually moves me. I don't even regard it as of its time or anything. I don't judge it by performance.

Per the Op's question about the Boxster...I like Porsche. I don't own one myself, but I tend more toward the 911 side of the Porsche model lines. It's a hint more sporty than the Boxster, even at the low-end of the model line. I also tend to think the Boxster looks like a revved up Mitsubishi Eclipse (2nd or 3rd generation), but without the guts needed to be sporty and fast.

In terms of storage, like a couple bags of groceries, it's minimal. Not much room for anything actually, besides the driver and a passenger. But, that's what sports cars are about, so only a minor knock. The one thing I've heard, but don't know if it is true, is that the top tends to wear out quickly and they are not cheap to replace. Other than that, if you get a Boxster, enjoy the ride.

You may wish to look at some of the Porsche forums.

I understand there are a few for Boxster owners.  They'll give you an idea of maintenance costs, known problems and performance mods.

My Uncle is a big fan of Porsche, I think he has a 911 he likes to drive on the weekends. Retired executive.

It's purely a toy for him: he has a driver for everyday errands. TBH, I hit my damn head in the thing.

So I'd assume that you're wealthy, old, and short.

---

I drive a 4-year-old Civic. I rarely get comments one way or the other, as Civics don't stick out. Never had anyone drool over my car, never had anyone be offending or disappointed when I pulled-up in it.

The few comments I do get from car guys, is that it's reliable and economical, a responsible choice.

You're into cars and have good employment? A lot of people are into cars. I never got the obsession but don't think poorly of it either. If you earned money, spend it as you please.

I bought my first car when I was eighteen.  It was a Lincoln MKX.  My parents fucking hated me for buying it lol.  I still drive it from time-to-time.  

I do remember being treated differently because people thought I was 'too young' to be driving it, or that I was a 'soccer-mom.' It was quite amusing....

Posted (edited)

I drive a Beamer, 5 Series. Relatives who previously made condescending comments on how badly young professionals in my trade usually are paid, stopped doing that once they knew. I'm not one of those Designers.

Edited by Red84
typo

If it helps, I couldn't give a fuck what car you drive. I only turn my head for a McClaren.

I'm more of an a-to-b kinda guy. 

Posted (edited)

i think people are more likely to treat you differently because your lack of a car then the type of car you have.

like offer you a free umbrella when its raining.

Edited by king con

On 07/01/2017 at 3:00 PM, king con said:

i think people are more likely to treat you differently because your lack of a car then the type of car you have.

like offer you a free umbrella when its raining.

My car rarely leaves the garage. I live within 5 minutes walk of most things I need (train and bus stations, shopping centre, my kids school, library, the beach). Public transport is pretty good so I mostly use that when I need to go places further away.

Most people I associate with are into the environment and reducing CO2 emissions so not owning a car is actually seen as a bit of a status symbol. 

2 hours ago, Indeed said:

My car rarely leaves the garage. I live within 5 minutes walk of most things I need (train and bus stations, shopping centre, my kids school, library, the beach). Public transport is pretty good so I mostly use that when I need to go places further away.

Most people I associate with are into the environment and reducing CO2 emissions so not owning a car is actually seen as a bit of a status symbol. 

so the opposite of north korea?

33 minutes ago, king con said:

so the opposite of north korea?

Well it's only among the "liberal elite" environmentalists 😂 I'm pretty sure for many (if not most) Aussies cars are still a status symbol. 

Theoretically I would assume that people in your town wouldn't stop and stare if luxury cars are not that uncommon. But I too come from a town full of mostly old, retired folks driving expensive sports cars like Porsches, GTRs, and Ferraris, and they often seem to get attention wherever they go. The town itself isn't very wealthy, but has a minority of elite retirees living in certain areas like the beaches and coastlines. So I guess all it really comes down to is whether or not your town overall has money that decides if you'll receive attention.

Less mechanics raped me when I had domestic sedans. 

With an Audi everyone tried to race me or cut me off.

My first week with a Lexus some crazy turd almost drove both of us off the road trying to drive alongside me yell-facing and waving the bird at me. It was a long stretch of road where all I'd done was stop (along with another vehicle) to let a pedestrian cross.

My father in law, an auctioneer, knew people did. He always insisted that he drive a Mercedes. His son who actually owned the family business and bought the Merc for his father drove a big station wagon( he needed a car with room for boxes and furniture).

It was always funny to watch both drive up to some rich persons house and the rich person snub the son and become fast friends with the Merc driver. For some image is important, and for some who realize it they use that to their advantage.

On 1/2/2017 at 6:10 AM, Red84 said:

I drive a Beamer, 5 Series. Relatives who previously made condescending comments on how badly young professionals in my trade usually are paid, stopped doing that once they knew. I'm not one of those Designers.

My first thought when I see a BMW is asshole followed by but that's a beautiful car.

7 hours ago, eagleseven said:

My first thought when I see a BMW is asshole followed by but that's a beautiful car.

I can live with that :cool:. If you were a chick, that wouldn't be the worst of reactions ;D

Sure, some people will treat you differently because of your car... but I don't think much of those people.

When a drive my jeep I dont really get any special looks. When I rent a decent car, definitely get a lot more attention. 

Absolutely has an effect. 

The tools around here race me more especially if they're in a Jeep themself. Everyone attempts to get in front of me and don't. I get compliments on her all the time but I don't think anyone treats me differently. Guys will always stare. 

...... added to this post 4 minutes later:

I think it definitely has an effect, though. I see it all the time with people who drive more premium or luxury cars. It's in this thread. When I drive my friend's Macan around I feel like people assume I sell drugs or I stole it.