Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

Tito

People treat you differently because of your car?

47 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about getting a sports car mostly for joy rides around town and in nearby rural areas. As of right now I'm eyeing a Porsche Boxster, but I'm still not sure if its truly the car that I want.

This will be my first sports car and I would like to know the following.

Please keep in mind that I live in an area where Porsche, Maserati, Ferrari and other exclusive car types are quite common. I'm sure the car I'm eyeing will not attract massive amount of attention, but I still wonder if it will still be more than I would like.

Do people treat you different once they see the type of car that you drive? 

Do luxury sports car attract a lot of attention from random people?

Do you have a suggestion for a sports car that looks nice but is less prone to attract attention than the Porsche Boxster?

I grew up with materialistic values, so I used to really think expensive cars were a big deal. Now I see that it's just a car and what I think it says about the person now is probably wealth, priorities and taste. I guess anything that not common (luxury) probably does make people notice. 

Lol, trying to be low key? 

If luxury cars are common, it is unlikely that the Porche will attract more attention than is comfortable. If the car suits your purposes, buy it. You may get the occasional second glance, but probably not any gawking.

Most people will treat you differently based on what you drive, yes. Cars are a visual representation of status. They always have been and most likely always will. 

Recommendations on a lower profile car would need more input from you on what you want from the vehicle. Are you just wanting something for the joyrides, or do you envision long road trips? Do you value power over comfort? How economical/ecological are you?

I'm casually looking at Porsches so I can trade in my Lexus. But, to be honest, I don't know much about the car...

What does that say about me?

Just assume people will think the same of you.

It really depends on the person... I personally would profile you based on a lot of things, including your car. I will assume you've got a good footing in this financial world and that's pretty awesome. I have my opinions on what car I would get, but I wouldn't judge you for yours. It's your enjoyment, why would I wanna ruin that for you? People really can be shitty, even with small things like this.

I had a Ford Focus 2008, on a date the guy walked me to my car, saw my car, scoffed and walked away never heard from him again.

now I have a different, and guys act all ooo about it sometimes giving it a once around walk. 

Silly.  

You drive a fancy car, I assume you're an impractical materialistic snob and dismiss you immediately. Remember reactions always go both ways.

I hope people treat me differently because of my car.  1999 Buck LeSabre.  Grandma gold.  Awww yeah.

BTW, my mom has a Porsche Boxter.  I don't recall her receiving extra attention because of it, though she does live in a richer area ... I'm sure it depends on where you live and what cars those around you have.

They will probably assume not so good things about the size of your genitals and that you also have money.

Nah - nothing much has changed since I started driving a redneck rev-head car: I'm just "that asshole who drives the blue Commodore".

I use to drive a Jeep Wrangler, less than luxury, was definitely a chick-magnet. 

We're built on means of what we have, what we drive, who we know, what we wear and what we own. Driven by an insatiable urge to never stop looking out for what's better. People can't find their chill with material value. 

I say fuck it. 

A friend of a friend drove me home in his Merc c63 because he saw me walking on the side of the road. Told him never really been in many expensive cars before as he dropped me to the front of my tiny residence. I'll never forget that smirk of disdain. People make the exceptional judge - but only for themselves. 

I've noticed that certain people gravitate to certain cars and in any large-ish group, like at my work, you can typically find a smaller group with an attraction to the same kind of car you have.  At work there are people that are into sports cars, some like SUVs (and within that group there are more divisions), some like more modified, off-road vehicles, the luxury car group, the economy car group, etc.  For the most part, beyond some light-hearted joking around, these groups don't mix too much on the subject of vehicles and really don't care too much about looking up or down on someone that drives something different.  It seems there is a general consensus that whatever kind of vehicle you are into is okay.

Heh I tell this to people all the time, people will and do judge you by looks (including fancy accessories like sport cars), even the kindest of people fall into this pit without realizing. I first noticed it when working as a hair stylist. Someone would walk in, look around, see the person with the cutest hair cut and the most put together, and say, "I'd like her to do my hair." Knowing what I know, I would walk into a salon, pick out that person, and ask, "Who ever does hers, please."

Basically people will and do judge you based on your looks, material possessions. There are some who will look out for a certain kind of car driver, others that will loathe you for being one of those car drivers. It's a very specific type of like or hate. But truth is, people will see you as competent, capable, and adventurous. 

That may never be the case, but that is the attention you will attract. 

If you live in a rich neighborhood then the best car to buy would be the lifted mini-van. 

http://imgur.com/eXJSq4f

I have the potential of earning a lot of money one day and buying one of these sexy beasts.

I’ve heard that the watch you wear matters too @Ambra

Edited by RioTx

Story time -

I spent years a commercial photographer. I picked up a gig through a local charity and radio station for a sponsored carwash at TwinPeaks. As the day progressed, the cars kept getting nicer and nicer, until a brand fucking new Black Lamborghini Aventador rolled up to the line. Time stopped, all worked stopped and the entire crowd moved over to where this car was (about 10 deep in the back of the line). They spent about an hour fawning over this ride, even the announcers and radio hosts were using the car to get more folks out. Every girl there tried their damnedest to get in that young kids (20 something) pants. I've got pics somewhere buried on an external drive. I've watched the same thing happen at Pro games. When players start rolling in with all their million dollar rides, the girls go stupid and guys get jealous. But yeah, people will oooh and ahhh and try to get in your pants because of your ride.

clearPNG-Cars-Lamborghini-Aventador-Lamb

cars and people are funny

I'm too pragmatic to drop big $$$ on wooohoo sports cars. They depreciate too quickly and the insurance is a necessary evil X's 10. Oh they look nice but you can't really "drive" them in the U.S.. Now if it was a low run, low vin or like a Cord or Packard from the 30's I could see the investment opportunity.

The funny thing is my daily is a 2004 Toyota Tacoma with over 200k miles on it and I get offers from people to buy it a half dozen times a year. I guess it gets noticed.

If you must get a sports car go West young man and get a 2016 Nissan Skyline GTR. At least you might be one of a few in your area that has one.

Before considering a Porsche Boxter, consider the practicality, size limitations, passenger and cargo limitations, expenses for fuel and repairs over time, rate of car-jacking/theft (check crime maps), probability of damage and collisions/scrapes/fender benders in your town/city, etc.  Fundamentally, if you desire to purchase a sports car, it can be a useful tool with much benefit and pleasure.  I would compose a comprehensive cost-benefit analysis, including any social bonuses (prestige, etc.) , assign values in ranking/cost/prioritization (+/-), and compute the final value.

I live in LA--so the idea of having a sports car can be a nightmare.  The daily traffic usually doesn't permit one to use the sports car in any way that demonstrates its performance perks.   Road conditions, driveways, and parking lots easily damage the undercarriage, can scuff up other elements, and pop tires.  Parking lots also introduce other variables.  Vehicles are often mauled by shopping carts, broken into and/or carjacked in many neighborhoods.  The person next to your car can ruin it by opening their door.  Nothing says a wonderful day  and a violation of peace of mind like a $90,000+ car getting nicked by the carelessness of other human beings.  Drunk drivers also occasionally crash into cars parked on the street (which I know from personal experience).  Granted, if you don't live in LA--you might have a saner environment to navigate your car through without ado and surprise costs for maintenance/repairs.

If you have a repair shop that charges a reasonable price once the warranty expires (if the Boxter is new), and you have a garage, an awesome car-wash place, and a select parking spot at your workplace(s), then you should be square.  If the Porsche is your second vehicle--that would make it even easier to maintain in a pristine condition.

People do notice sports cars, and many "hardcore" soi dissant sport car fans consider the Boxter to be a looker rather than a performer.  Porsche fans gravitate towards performance and would perhaps esteem the 911 and talk smack on the Boxter.  That's not to say that you shouldn't purchase a Boxter if you want one.  Just be ready to defend it against a couple jerky people from time-to-time.

Are you trying to get a showpiece sports car, a practical sports car,  a sporty sports car that maneuvers well, something for a performance-junkie...?  What is the price range?  There are many sports cars to choose from.  It would make more sense to write up the features you need for your lifestyle and select a sports car that suits your expectations (given how much they cost to purchase and maintain).   

Also, I recommend renting each of the sports cars you are interested in for a few days to see whether it suits.

...... added to this post 5 minutes later:

And yes, I used to sell sports cars at a BMW dealership.  I drove a Boxter and a variety of other models from the trade-in lot.  My sister did valet at a luxury hotel in Miami and had multiple opportunities to drive the Bugatti Veyron, etc.  

The luxury-level is also a factor in addition to the aforementioned qualities like performance, maintenance costs, etc.

I've never owned a new car...Terrible investment, as I am sure most here would agree.

I owned one sports car that I bought as a fixer-project.  I rebuilt it and hopped up the motor, and I sure miss it because it was fast , sleek, and comfy.

I currently drive a 30+ year old beater pickup. 

I get the feeling people look down on me because I wear thrift store clothes and drive this POS that needs to be scrapped.

But, because I live well within my means, I am worth about a quarter million dollars right now.

there was someone "working for a charity"

going around collecting donations, wearing expensive suits expensive Jewellery and driving a sports car.

i told him to shove it,

(i was wearing ripped jeans, boots and a ratty t shirt).

guy looked like a typical con artist,

(i walked out the back of where i was working to have a durry saw him get out of his sports car)

On 31/12/2016 at 11:45 AM, BoydBros said:

But yeah, people will oooh and ahhh and try to get in your pants because of your ride.

clearPNG-Cars-Lamborghini-Aventador-Lamb

Aventador owners/drivers PM me - good time guaranteed.

Just looking at the red model in a showroom reminded me how easy I am.

3 minutes ago, rickster said:

tell everyone you work for the red cross charity and get the logo and name paint job on your car too,

thats like bonus points.

I'll be honest, If I see a car like that and it's an automatic then I won't give it another glance.

I don't normally judge people based on their cars but if you're going to get a hot rod or an off road vehicle then make it a stick shift.

27 minutes ago, rickster said:

I have 3 cars on my bucket list:

1. Lamborghini Aventador (the one above)
  2. McLaren F1
  3. Ford GT40

I've been in love with these 3 cars since their original production dates, with the exception of the GT40. About 20 years ago, I was in a dealership in Arizona and the owner had his personal one on display. Fuck that car was beautiful.

3 minutes ago, BoydBros said:

I have 3 cars on my bucket list:

1. Lamborghini Aventador (the one above)
  2. McLaren F1
  3. Ford GT40

I've been in love with these 3 cars since their original production dates, with the exception of the GT40. About 20 years ago, I was in a dealership in Arizona and the owner had his personal one on display. Fuck that car was beautiful.

Your design ethic is consistent...all beautiful, beautiful cars.

I've worshipped many Lambos over the years, but was quite unprepared for the impact the Aventador had on me...despite all the buzz.

I think a lot of guys who love the best of the best in cars - maybe women too - have what I call a design sensibility...Porsche, Ferrari, et al. Make sense?

2 minutes ago, rickster said:

Your design ethic is consistent...all beautiful, beautiful cars.

I've worshipped many Lambos over the years, but was quite unprepared for the impact the Aventador had on me...despite all the buzz.

I think a lot of guys who love the best of the best in cars - maybe women too - have what I call a design sensibility...Porsche, Ferrari, et al. Make sense?

I agree. The lines on these cars ... damn, like the curves of the human form ... true artistry