Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

Teybo

Open Extended Jungian Type Scales (OEJTS)

46 posts in this topic

LINK TO INVENTORY HERE.

A man named Eric Jorgenson has developed an open inventory for sorting out MBTI type. He calls it the Open Extended Jungian Type Scales (OEJTS):

The Open Extended Jungian Type Scales was developed to be an open source alternative to the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. The OEJTS was developed by empirically selecting items that differentiated among persons who identified as one of the Myers-Briggs personality types along one of the four dichotomies. After a detailed review of psychological type, including a survey of 2230 persons about what differences the dichotomies entailed a pool of 278 items was generated. Using 25,568 participants who were experienced with psychological type and knew their personality type, this pool was reduced down to 48 items, twelve for each scale.

Most tests on the internet offer little information about how they were developed.

There does not seem to have ever been done a comparative study of different tests. This is a symptom the problems that Myers-Briggs/Jungian type has. There are currently no criteria for what makes a good Myers-Briggs/Jungian type. Of course, it could just be accepted that the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator defines Myers-Briggs/Jungian types and so that means that the measure of a test is just how similar it is to the MBTI. This is not that satisfying though because it defaults upfront on the notion that the MBTI measures anything fundamental. It also is frustrating because if that is true then no test could ever be better than the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, and so the problems with the MBTI like low test-reliability can never be fixed. Taking the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator as the standard that you are trying to mimic as best as possible also has the practical difficulty that this would require administering the MBTI, which is extremely expensive.

Many items are similar to official MBTI items, but there are some differences that I think are interesting and, arguably, improvements over the MBTI.

Here are my results. The display of results is quite handy and informative.

Spoiler

Introversion (I)  Extroversion (E)

Introversion-Extroversion is your cognitive orientation. Introverts centre themselves inside their bodies. Extroverts centre their attention outside their bodies. Your score on I-E was -1.625 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are introverted (with high confidence) [less] 

Sensing (S)  Intuition (N)

Sensing-Intuition is the first pair of cognitive functions and the preference for how your prefer to be served information; through the five senses or from the subconscious. Your score on S-N was 1.125 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are an intuitive (with high confidence) [less] 

Feeling (F)  Thinking (T)

Feeling-Thinking is the second pair of cognitive functions, the judging functions, which are used to evaluate goals; either through personal values or objective principles. Your score on F-T was -1.25 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are a feeler (with high confidence) [less] 

Judging (J)  Perceiving (P)

Judging-Perceiving is what pair of cognitive functions your prefer to use; Judging is a preference for a structured lifestyle and the use of feeling and thinking while perceiving is the preference for a flexible lifestyle and the use of sensing and intuition. Your score on J-P was -0.875 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are a judger (with medium confidence) [less]

If you're interested, you can see which items are the best "sorters" for each MBTI dichotomy by going to Appendix A and clicking on the column labels. For example, the best F/T sorter was "values emotions vs. uncomfortable with emotions", which I think is a lot better of a sorter than the official MBTI's "analytical vs. sentimental".

Results: 

Introversion-Extroversion is your cognitive orientation. Introverts centre themselves inside their bodies. Extroverts centre their attention outside their bodies. Your score on I-E was -1.25 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are introverted (with high confidence) [less] 

Sensing-Intuition is the first pair of cognitive functions and the preference for how your prefer to be served information; through the five senses or from the subconscious. Your score on S-N was 1.75 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are an intuitive (with high confidence) [less] 

Feeling-Thinking is the second pair of cognitive functions, the judging functions, which are used to evaluate goals; either through personal values or objective principles. Your score on F-T was 1.625 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are a thinker (with high confidence) [less] 

Judging-Perceiving is what pair of cognitive functions your prefer to use; Judging is a preference for a structured lifestyle and the use of feeling and thinking while perceiving is the preference for a flexible lifestyle and the use of sensing and intuition. Your score on J-P was 0.875 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are a perceiver (with medium confidence) [less] 

When combined, that makes your personality type INTP.

Result :

You have completed the personality test. 

Jungian/Myers-Briggs Personality Type is based on four preferences, that when combined produce personality type. This page will first cover your scores for each of the preferences then finally give a description for the type that they produce. 

Introversion-Extroversion is your cognitive orientation. Introverts centre themselves inside their bodies. Extroverts centre their attention outside their bodies. Your score on I-E was 0.375 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are extroverted (with low confidence) [less] 

Sensing-Intuition is the first pair of cognitive functions and the preference for how your prefer to be served information; through the five senses or from the subconscious. Your score on S-N was 0.375 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are an intuitive (with low confidence) [less] 

Feeling-Thinking is the second pair of cognitive functions, the judging functions, which are used to evaluate goals; either through personal values or objective principles. Your score on F-T was 1 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are a thinker (with high confidence) [less] 

Judging-Perceiving is what pair of cognitive functions your prefer to use; Judging is a preference for a structured lifestyle and the use of feeling and thinking while perceiving is the preference for a flexible lifestyle and the use of sensing and intuition. Your score on J-P was 1.375 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are a perceiver (with high confidence) [less] 

When combined, that makes your personality type ENTP. 

When combined, that makes your personality type INTP.

c21da24fa1.jpg

Cool, in other tests I always got INTJ, got ESTJ one time n' ENTJ two.

ISFP/INFP? WTF?

I get the S/N and even P but F? Really. I have to agree with @toki, I don't think this quiz is asking enough questions to determine my type accurately. Plus being neutral to many questions on the second page probably didn't help either.

The official MBTI Step I had 93 items. the OEJTS has 60 items. That's not all that different. There are reliable Big Five personality inventories that have very few items, for example, the TIPI has only 10 items. That's 2 per scale! Having 60/4 = 15 items per scale is a lot more, and probably a lot more than is required to get good test-retest reliability - if you use the inventory right...

19 minutes ago, El Cas said:

Plus being neutral to many questions on the second page probably didn't help either.

:laugh: Yeah, if you're going to use a tool to help you sort yourself, maybe you could do more actual sorting while using the tool.

I think that my problem is that many of the items on the second page I was one off center because I felt the questions allowed me to be a bit vague in my answer or I truly was just a bit one or the other.

Introversion-Extroversion is your cognitive orientation. Introverts centre themselves inside their bodies. Extroverts centre their attention outside their bodies. Your score on I-E was -1.125 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are introverted (with high confidence) 

Sensing-Intuition is the first pair of cognitive functions and the preference for how your prefer to be served information; through the five senses or from the subconscious. Your score on S-N was 0.5 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are an intuitive (with medium confidence) 

Feeling-Thinking is the second pair of cognitive functions, the judging functions, which are used to evaluate goals; either through personal values or objective principles. Your score on F-T was 0.375 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are a thinker (with low confidence)

Judging-Perceiving is what pair of cognitive functions your prefer to use; Judging is a preference for a structured lifestyle and the use of feeling and thinking while perceiving is the preference for a flexible lifestyle and the use of sensing and intuition. Your score on J-P was -0.25 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are a judger (with low confidence) 

Spoiler

INTJs are analytical. Like INTPs, they are most comfortable working alone and tend to be less sociable than other types. Nevertheless, INTJs are prepared to lead if no one else seems up to the task, or if they see a major weakness in the current leadership. They tend to be pragmatic, logical, and creative. They have a low tolerance for spin or rampant emotionalism. They are not generally susceptible to catchphrases and do not recognize authority based on tradition, rank, or title. 

Hallmarks of the INTJ include independence of thought and a desire for efficiency. They work best when given autonomy and creative freedom. They harbor an innate desire to express themselves by conceptualizing their own intellectual designs. They have a talent for analyzing and formulating complex theories. INTJs are generally well-suited for occupations within academia, research, consulting, management, science, engineering, and law. They are often acutely aware of their own knowledge and abilitiesóas well as their limitations and what they don't know (a quality that tends to distinguish them from INTPs). INTJs thus develop a strong confidence in their ability and talents, making them natural leaders. 

In forming relationships, INTJs tend to seek out others with similar character traits and ideologies. Agreement on theoretical concepts is an important aspect of their relationships. By nature INTJs can be demanding in their expectations, and approach relationships in a rational manner. As a result, INTJs may not always respond to a spontaneous infatuation but wait for a mate who better fits their set criteria. They tend to be stable, reliable, and dedicated. Harmony in relationships and home life tends to be extremely important to them. They generally withhold strong emotion and do not like to waste time with what they consider irrational social rituals. This may cause non-INTJs to perceive them as distant and reserved; nevertheless, INTJs are usually very loyal partners who are prepared to commit substantial energy and time into a relationship to make it work. 

As mates, INTJs want harmony and order in the home and in relationships. The most independent of all types, INTJs trust their intuition when choosing friends and matesóeven in spite of contradictory evidence or pressure from others. The emotions of an INTJ are hard to read, and neither male nor female INTJs are apt to express emotional reactions. At times, INTJs seem cold, reserved, and unresponsive, while in fact they are almost hypersensitive to signals of rejection from those they care for. In social situations, INTJs may also be unresponsive and may neglect small rituals designed to put others at ease. For example, INTJs may communicate that idle dialogue such as small talk is a waste of time. This may create the impression that the INTJ is in a hurryóan impression that is not always intended. In their interpersonal relationships, INTJs are usually better in a working situation than in a recreational situation.

http://personality-testing.info/tests/OEJTS/results.php?r=1.875,3.5,3.375,2.75

I didn't know how to get the page/image, so the details have to do.

...... added to this post 34 minutes later:

55 minutes ago, El Cas said:

I think that my problem is that many of the items on the second page I was one off center because I felt the questions allowed me to be a bit vague in my answer or I truly was just a bit one or the other.

It helped for me to imagine actual situations for the neutrals, place myself there and then I got out of the "neutral" zone, "and" I agree, it was tough on some of the questions because I don't think this test maker, or others, give enough range for activities and interests, e.g. it's always "I prefer logic or empirical. Well, no, for fixing a spare tire, I'll take empirical, thanks. Many examples like that, so I have to test the tester, and imagine how "he" (could be she) is deciding thinker or feeling; intuitive or sensor, and so on.

The only area that is never a problem is Introversion vs. extraversion: Leave me out of it is my motto, most of the time on what people are into. I'll stay home and study; read, et cetera OR watch birds and train my rat...

I 1.625

N 0.625

F 0.375

P 1.000

According to the test I'm Inxp... I like it. Though what that entails, I'm not sure.

Edited by PTD

Meh. Same two results every time I take the test and every other test of this sort.

INFP, which is what I always thought I was until my husband convinced me I'm actually an INTJ.  I'm gonna have him take it.  He is an INTP.  And, according to this test, he's an INTP.

Also, these questions were much easier for me to answer.  Very obvious choices for me.

Introversion-Extroversion is your cognitive orientation. Introverts centre themselves inside their bodies. Extroverts centre their attention outside their bodies. Your score on I-E was -1.375 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are introverted (with high confidence) [less]

Sensing-Intuition is the first pair of cognitive functions and the preference for how your prefer to be served information; through the five senses or from the subconscious. Your score on S-N was 1.25 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are an intuitive (with high confidence) [less]

Feeling-Thinking is the second pair of cognitive functions, the judging functions, which are used to evaluate goals; either through personal values or objective principles. Your score on F-T was -0.75 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are a feeler (with medium confidence) [less]

Judging-Perceiving is what pair of cognitive functions your prefer to use; Judging is a preference for a structured lifestyle and the use of feeling and thinking while perceiving is the preference for a flexible lifestyle and the use of sensing and intuition. Your score on J-P was 1 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are a perceiver (with high confidence) [less]

When combined, that makes your personality type INFP.

Edited by Palladium

On 23/12/2016 at 2:49 AM, Sarea said:

Result :

You have completed the personality test. 

Jungian/Myers-Briggs Personality Type is based on four preferences, that when combined produce personality type. This page will first cover your scores for each of the preferences then finally give a description for the type that they produce. 

Introversion-Extroversion is your cognitive orientation. Introverts centre themselves inside their bodies. Extroverts centre their attention outside their bodies. Your score on I-E was 0.375 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are extroverted (with low confidence) [less] 

Sensing-Intuition is the first pair of cognitive functions and the preference for how your prefer to be served information; through the five senses or from the subconscious. Your score on S-N was 0.375 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are an intuitive (with low confidence) [less] 

Feeling-Thinking is the second pair of cognitive functions, the judging functions, which are used to evaluate goals; either through personal values or objective principles. Your score on F-T was 1 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are a thinker (with high confidence) [less] 

Judging-Perceiving is what pair of cognitive functions your prefer to use; Judging is a preference for a structured lifestyle and the use of feeling and thinking while perceiving is the preference for a flexible lifestyle and the use of sensing and intuition. Your score on J-P was 1.375 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are a perceiver (with high confidence) [less] 

When combined, that makes your personality type ENTP. 

Did it the second time. The first section still the same questions but the second section had entirely different questions. Still ENTP but at least my E score is now higher, hence almost consistent with the high E i've always scored in other tests. Not sure why the T score is lower now though whereas similarly to E and P, my previous T scores were always on the high side. P is still the same. N is mild/medium score albeit almost nearing the middle between S/N consistent with some tests prior to this.

Introversion-Extroversion is your cognitive orientation. Introverts centre themselves inside their bodies. Extroverts centre their attention outside their bodies. Your score on I-E was 1.125 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are extroverted (with high confidence) [less] 

Sensing-Intuition is the first pair of cognitive functions and the preference for how your prefer to be served information; through the five senses or from the subconscious. Your score on S-N was 0.75 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are an intuitive (with medium confidence) [less] 

Feeling-Thinking is the second pair of cognitive functions, the judging functions, which are used to evaluate goals; either through personal values or objective principles. Your score on F-T was 0.375 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are a thinker (with low confidence) [less] 

INFP

What? Must have misinterpret some of the questions. Doesn't fit me at all. 

My result -- INFP

These are the results of the Open Extended Jungian Type Scales. 

t31lj.png

Introversion-Extroversion is your cognitive orientation. Introverts centre themselves inside their bodies. Extroverts centre their attention outside their bodies. Your score on I-E was -1.375 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are introverted (with high confidence) [less]

Sensing-Intuition is the first pair of cognitive functions and the preference for how your prefer to be served information; through the five senses or from the subconscious. Your score on S-N was 1.25 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are an intuitive (with high confidence) [less]

Feeling-Thinking is the second pair of cognitive functions, the judging functions, which are used to evaluate goals; either through personal values or objective principles. Your score on F-T was -0.75 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are a feeler (with medium confidence) [less]

Judging-Perceiving is what pair of cognitive functions your prefer to use; Judging is a preference for a structured lifestyle and the use of feeling and thinking while perceiving is the preference for a flexible lifestyle and the use of sensing and intuition. Your score on J-P was 1 (scores range from -2 to 2) which indicates that you are a perceiver (with high confidence) [less]

---------

According to Myers-Briggs, INFPs focus much of their energy on an inner world dominated by intense feeling and deeply held ethics. They seek an external life that is in keeping with these values. Loyal to the people and causes important to them, INFPs can quickly spot opportunities to implement their ideals. They are curious to understand those around them, and so are accepting and flexible except when their values are threatened. 

According to Keirsey, based on observations of behavior, notable INFPs may include Princess Diana, George Orwell, Aldous Huxley, Audrey Hepburn, Richard Gere, Albert Schweitzer and Isabel Myers. 

The polite, reserved exterior of INFPs can at first make them difficult to get to know. They enjoy conversation, however, taking particular delight in the unusual. When INFPs are in a sociable mood, their humor and charm shine through. Disposed to like people and to avoid conflict, INFPs tend to make pleasant company. 

Devoted to those in their inner circle, INFPs guard the emotional well-being of others, consoling those in distress. Guided by their desire for harmony, INFPs prefer to be flexible unless their ethics are violated. Then, they become passionate advocates for their beliefs. They are often able to sway the opinions of others through tact, diplomacy, and an ability to see varying sides of an issue. 

INFPs develop these insights through reflection, and they require substantial time alone to ponder and process new information. While they can be quite patient with complex material, they are generally bored by routine. Though not always organized, INFPs are meticulous about things they value. Perfectionists, they may have trouble completing a task because it cannot meet their high standards. They may even go back to a completed project after the deadline so they can improve it. 

INFPs are creative types and often have a gift for language. As introverts, they may prefer to express themselves through writing. Their dominant Feeling drives their desire to communicate, while their auxiliary intuition supplies the imagination. Having a talent for symbolism, they enjoy metaphors and similes. They continually seek new ideas and adapt well to change. They prefer working in an environment that values these gifts and allows them to make a positive difference in the world, according to their personal beliefs.

It looks like the first page of items are the same 32 items every time, but the second page of items is a substantially different set of 28 each time you take the test.

Also: Appendix A doesn't seem to include the page 2 items.

Here are my results:

I: -1.25
N: 1.125
T: 1.5
J: -1.625

All four scores were characterized as "high confidence" for the preferences.

...... added to this post 14 minutes later:

ADDED: It looks to me like the test scores are based on Page 1 only, and Page 2 is all experimental questions. And you can speed up the testing by only answering the Page 1 items, and then hitting Submit on Page 2 without responding to any of the Page 2 items, and you still get your results.

...... added to this post 47 minutes later:

ADDED, PART DEUX: I should add that, although you can be scored without Page 2, I would encourage everybody who takes the test to take the time to respond to the 28 Page 2 items, because (1) it doesn't take very long, and (2) you'll be helping these folks to improve their test, and to (potentially) give us additional interesting stats about how the preferences correspond to test items.

2 hours ago, reckful said:

ADDED, PART DEUX: I should add that, although you can be scored without Page 2, I would encourage everybody who takes the test to take the time to respond to the 28 Page 2 items, because (1) it doesn't take very long, and (2) you'll be helping these folks to improve their test, and to (potentially) give us additional interesting stats about how the preferences correspond to test items.

I took it several times and got INFP each time.  Back to the INFP or INTJ drawing board.  Ugh.

When combined, that makes your personality type ENTJ. 

E - low

NT - high

J - medium

I took it again because I saw that some others did, and got slightly different percentages.

I few questions were different. Here's the second results:

Introvert (High confidence)
iNtuitive (Medium confidence: that's a first)
Thinking (Medium confidence)
Judging (High confidence)

I don't like extremes; limits me, so I'm happy with the mediums.

The "high" introvert? I'd do better socially if I were not so extremely introverted.

I'll see if the numbers change when I am off most medications.

Also, I'll see if the numbers change after a long stretch of Dharma practice, if I'm interested in these tests after a long stretch of Dharma practice.