Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

QuickTwist

Type me.

257 posts in this topic

Some of you might think I am a Feeler. Some of you may think I am an intuitive or a sensor. Some may simply think I am not ISTP. I'd like to hear what people have to say regarding my type.

Feel free to ask questions.

Edited by QuickTwist

Since people identify with different definitions of everything: do you consider yourself an ISTP also by the dichotomies/dimensions? Or just by the functions? And what are your best justifications for ISTP over the other main types you've considered?

Edited by Namesake

Dichotomy comes first. Functions is just the icing on the cake. Best justification is that I took an official test that says so, but I have taken two official tests and one said INTP. I am not as rigid as INTPs IMO, but I could be wrong about that. My brain works like an ISTPs, but I can't say the behaviors fit very well. That said, Fe manifests itself in me much like it would in an ISTP. In otherwords, my emotions often come out misapplied. I like to think of myself as being someone who can say a lot with a few elegant strokes, however, that means I am often misunderstood. My often lack of explaining my thought process in detail makes me believe INTP is not a likely possibility.

2 minutes ago, Namesake said:

Why do you think INTPs are more "rigid" than ISTPs? 

They have a more rigid belief system, at least in accordance to rules, following an organized path (even if that path be intuitively organized) being different from an ISTP whom the ISTP will take a direction on life that is much more based on instinct as opposed to the pursuit knowledge and/or "correctness." But I was not trying to make the distinction that because I didn't see myself as being as rigid as an INTP that this made me more of an ISTP. I will say that the Ni lends itself to more internal openness as opposed to Ne that lends itself to outward openness.

I have very close INTP and ISTP friends and, as you would expect, they can be quite similar sometimes. It has to do with their way of thinking (Ti), which you can clearly distinguish from other types. That being said, the other two functions make a lot of difference, as ISTP will seem more like a keen observer and INTP a kind of walking database. They do, however, sound much the same when arguing a point. In this group of friends they'll usually complement each other with observations of the real world (Se) and different perspectives of it (Ne).

But at the end of the day, no matter how similar their thought processes and communication styles are, you can easily tell them apart like so:

ISTPs are hedonistic by nature.

INTPs are autistic theoretical by nature.

Hope this helps out, QuickTwist ;)

Edited by An Hero

3 minutes ago, An Hero said:

I have very close INTP and ISTP friends and, as you would expect, they can be quite similar sometimes. It has to do with their way of thinking (Ti), which you can clearly distinguish from other types. That being said, the other two functions make a lot of difference, as ISTP will seem more like a keen observer and INTP a kind of walking database. They do, however, sound much the same when arguing a point. In this group of friends they'll usually complement each other with observations of the real of the real world (Se) and different perspectives of it (Ne).

But at the end of the day, no matter how similar their thought processes and communication styles are, you can easily tell them apart like so:

ISTPs are hedonistic by nature.

INTPs are autistic theoretical by nature.

Hope this helps out, QuickTwist ;)

I make my perplexity of deciding my type much more extreme and dramatic than what it appears. In honesty, I just want to know how people see me and am using MBTI as a means to an end in this. I am standing by ISTP for now, but will ofc reassess if sound reasoning/knowledge is shared. You make a good point, however; I don't want to take that away from you.

Do you view yourself as a "thinker"?

If you had to choose one of these; Do you have more of a strong physical presence or are you more "in your head"?

39 minutes ago, GreyCrow said:

Do you view yourself as a "thinker"?

If you had to choose one of these; Do you have more of a strong physical presence or are you more "in your head"?

I have been told I am always in my head thinking, to the point of overanalyzing a situation and getting the wrong answer. I have a much more soft confidence presents in my mannerisms IMO but I can't say I have ever had anyone comment on my mannerisms even though I have tried to get people to comment on it.

I don't think you are an F type.

I dunno mate, I'll list off what you're not though: ESFP, ISFP, ENTJ, INTJ, ENFP, INFP, ESTJ, ISTJ, ESFJ, ENFJ, INFJ, ISFJ

That leaves four: INTP, ISTP, ENTP, ESTP

And from there: INTP or ISTP

From there: Se Ni v. Ne Si

Which applies?

2 minutes ago, Cak said:

I don't think you are an F type.

I dunno mate, I'll list off what you're not though: ESFP, ISFP, ENTJ, INTJ, ENFP, INFP, ESTJ, ISTJ, ESFJ, ENFJ, INFJ, ISFJ

That leaves four: INTP, ISTP, ENTP, ESTP

And from there: INTP or ISTP

From there: Se Ni v. Ne Si

Which applies?

I went by ISFP for a while, actually.

I dunno mate, when glancing through your posts, I've been compensating for the fact that I think you are depressed. So I dunno.

1 minute ago, Cak said:

I dunno mate, when glancing through your posts, I've been compensating for the fact that I think you are depressed. So I dunno.

Well, I am depressed. IDK why you would feel you would need to compensate anything on my behalf.

TBH, it was half social experiment when I decided to type myself as ISFP. I was frustrated at the time for people not typing me the way I saw myself (which was INTP), so I went in the opposite direction. People really believed I was ISFP for the most part, which was then extremely frustrating. What I gathered is that people thought I was ISFP because what I would say didn't seem logical to them, therefore, I must have been basing my logic on my own values emotions (Fi). I'm pretty much over it now, but it lasted way longer than I wanted it to.

We had a user once who identified as an INTJ for 6 moinths or so.  Then it turns out she was going through a horrible divorce.  When the smoke cleared, she then identified as ESFP.

4 minutes ago, Kisai said:

We had a user once who identified as an INTJ for 6 moinths or so.  Then it turns out she was going through a horrible divorce.  When the smoke cleared, she then identified as ESFP.

It just struck me that you are probably INTJ. It was the avatar.

You bring up a good point. I have been here a very short time and I am asking people what type they think I am. I thought about this, but decided to pull the trigger anyways.

Your posts caught my eye recently, mainly because you remind me of someone I know in real life who also suffers from depression. They are an INTP. I've sometimes questioned their type as well, they often show behaviors that remind me strongly of other types. But if I didn't know them personally, and was just observing them, their hobbies, their appearance etc, I'd say INTP straight away. You seem to be quite sensitive to being seen as unintelligent and illogical above most other things, at least from what I've seen from your posts. I think it's quite likely that you're an INTP. 

2 minutes ago, Sentirei said:

Your posts caught my eye recently, mainly because you remind me of someone I know in real life who also suffers from depression. They are an INTP. I've sometimes questioned their type as well, they often show behaviors that remind me strongly of other types. But if I didn't know them personally, and was just observing them, their hobbies, their appearance etc, I'd say INTP straight away. You seem to be quite sensitive to being seen as unintelligent and illogical above most other things, at least from what I've seen from your posts. I think it's quite likely that you're an INTP. 

Thank you, this is almost the exact kind of thing I was hoping for.

As an aside (and I could be out to lunch on this) I could have sworn you were typing yourself as some kind on ESXX type. Am I totally wrong here?

I have always typed as INTP. You might be thinking of the "type" thread in the members section where TheStranger kept calling me an enfp. ;D

I don't know you very well, but you strike me as being an intuitive. That's pretty much all I have to contribute though. Good luck on your search :)

17 minutes ago, Sentirei said:

they often show behaviors that remind me strongly of other types

I've seen this in all the INTPs I know. I guess since you guys are robots you try and mimic some of what the normal people do around you as if looking to blend in ;D

But seriously, this is actually another point differing both types, since ISTP's inferior Fe manifests itself as they being rude, while INTP's inferior Fe feels like inauthentic, exaggerated behavior - not unlike a cyborg trying to appear human.

Edited by An Hero

21 minutes ago, yoginimama said:

I don't know you very well, but you strike me as being an intuitive. That's pretty much all I have to contribute though. Good luck on your search :)

Thank you.

...... added to this post 13 minutes later:

17 minutes ago, An Hero said:

I've seen this in all the INTPs I know. I guess since you guys are robots you try and mimic some of what the normal people do around you as if looking to blend in ;D

But seriously, this is actually another point differing both types, since ISTP's inferior Fe manifests itself as they being rude, while INTP's inferior Fe feels like inauthentic, exaggerated behavior - not unlike a cyborg trying to appear human.

ISTPs are typically very curt with people, yes. Yes, INTPs often have a strong awkwardness about them. TBH, I identify with both. When I am thinking with my head I am extraordinary sharp with my words. I have lived long enough to know that can get me in quite a bit of trouble, so I try and avoid that behavior. I also identify with the way INTPs are oddly goofy (especially with jokes) but this happened much more in my early years of life. Now days, I do have a sense of humor but it is dryer than 10 day old beef jerky. I went through a period where I felt I needed to clarify that I was making a joke so that people would get it.

1 hour ago, QuickTwist said:

Well, I am depressed. IDK why you would feel you would need to compensate anything on my behalf.

I meant that I am accounting for you being depressed.

Taking this so personally is Fe Fi Fo Fum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

200.gif#3 

Spoiler

FI

FI

FI

FI

FI

FIF

F

IF

IF

IIF

200.gif#13

FII

FF

IFI

I

FFI

FI

FI

IF

IF

IF

IFGSDFSKDLHRJLKSERKLSJR

200.gif#26

Edited by Cak

1 minute ago, Cak said:

I meant that I am accounting for you being depressed.

Taking this so personally is Fe Fi Fo Fum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

200.gif#3 

Sorry if I came across abrasively (or just that I irritated you because I didn't understand). I still don't think I fully understand what you are saying (having a little trouble reading through the [prolly very apparent] lines).  Will reread what you said earlier in this thread.

1 hour ago, QuickTwist said:

ISTPs are typically very curt with people, yes. Yes, INTPs often have a strong awkwardness about them. TBH, I identify with both. When I am thinking with my head I am extraordinary sharp with my words.

If you're both then you're INTJ lol

Spoiler

It's basic math:

ISTP = dickhead

INTP = polite but autistic

INTJ = autistic dickhead (aspenger syndrome)

Edited by An Hero

1 minute ago, An Hero said:

If you're both then you're INTJ lol

Hide contents

ISTP = dickhead

INTP = polite but autistic

INTJ = autistic dickhead (aspenger syndrome)

You don't pull your punches, do you?