Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

Cak

What are your neighbors like?

34 posts in this topic

What are they like? Do you get along with them?

We have a variety of neighbors.  One is kind of a group house for young adults with a disability.  I have the most trouble with these folks because they continually think my yard is part of their driveway.  A couple other neighbors are older couples with kids that have left home already.  We get along fine with them - we wave every time we see each other, talk across the road to each other, etc.  I wouldn't say we are the biggest friends with them, but we have asked them to watch our house from time to time when we go out of town and we have done the same with them.  Another neighbor has kids that are around the same age as our kids and go to the same school.  We get along fine with them, but the guy is from Columbia and there are some cultural differences that can sometimes annoy me.  For example, he just comes right on in without knocking when he comes over and his house is almost always uncomfortably hot to me.  Otherwise, though, we get along fine and our kids play together quite often. 

One of my neighbors (across the street) is the most disgusting, foul scum I've ever encountered.  Their entire family is absolutely horrible.  Hillbilly white trash, no consideration for anyone else, selfish, mean, nasty, dramatic.  I have never hated anything more than I hate them.  The world would be a better place if they weren't in it, quite literally.  They ruin everything they touch.  They are a stain.  They are destructive and obnoxious.  Drama in the streets, TWO house fires (one resulting in a total reconstruction), blatant liars, hypocritical, they blast music from their cars as loud as they can, have car horn honking competitions/symphonies (no idea, but it's annoying), the father just went to prison for six years, police frequently called on them, electric is frequently cut off because they don't pay their bills, ride dirt bikes up and down the street over and over.  They're truly, truly awful.  I don't speak to them at all, nor will I, because I don't want to be involved with them in any way.  There's nothing nice I could ever say to them and asking them to be considerate would no doubt cause them to start screaming and threatening us.

The neighbors to the left of us occasionally have drama with the neighbors across the street (something about someone sleeping with someone, who knows).  They lie and the woman is at the very least addicted to Xanax.  We don't speak to them at all, nor would we ever willingly associate with them.  The neighbors to the right are an older woman and her middle-aged daughter, I think.  I've never spoken to them, but they're normal neighbors - they don't do anything terrible.  To the right of THEM lives a sexual predator.  Yay.  And I don't know or notice any other neighbors.  This isn't a great neighborhood for socializing with neighbors.  I feel like I'm in a movie or something.

----------------------------------------

It's strange because I grew up living in neighborhoods where I knew my neighbors very well.  At my parents' last house, before they moved to TN, I used to go over and sit out in the driveway with them and the neighbors ... even long after I moved out.  "Sitting out with the neighbors" has been something I've experienced most of my life.  My parents are literally in on vacation in California right now with the neighbors who used to live next door to them.  We'd have neighborhood barbecues, the neighbors would come over for Thanksgiving, we'd go out to eat with them, etc...

After moving out from their house, I lived in condos, so I didn't really know many of my neighbors other than nodding "Hello".  One was a police diver who asked me out.  One was an old man who loved seeing my cat in the window when he'd get home.  One was a middle-aged couple who lived above me and who I used to chat with.

When I lived in Wisconsin, with my ex, I had a great relationship with the neighbors.  I would dog-sit for them, we'd sit outside together and drink, etc...

My neighbors are great. Known most of them for 15+ years at this point. Since I live in a rural location, I don't see them much. Nearest one is 700-feet away to the southeast, on the other side of some thick, forested tree growth, and the others are a quarter-mile away through pine forest and palmetto scrubs. Perfect distance for neighbors if you ask me.

I've never seen or spoken to them, nor have I ever even heard them.

I like them.

I live on what you'd consider a compound that's just family.

Outside of the compound there's this house that's the size of a 3 bedroom but no less than 20 people must live in there. No idea how. And they just keep having babies. Every other weekend it's one of the kid's birthday and I get treated to children singing very inappropriate songs very loudly. (there's nothing quite like 30 kids screaming in their shrill little voices, "I'm in love with the co-co")

Behind us is where our uncle lived with his wife and two sons. The sons got into a fight about a year or so ago and one ended up stabbing the other and his gf and went on the lam. Haven't seen him since. He left his son there and the boy verbally abuses his grandmother like his dad used to.

We get along fine.

Once I had one of the kids climb into my bedroom because I was locked out of the house.

I live on a cul-de-sac of 12 houses in a mostly privately owned estate. We are one of two houses on this cul-de-sac where younger people live. The rest are retired, or work but are near or over retirement age. The houses on the estate were buit in the late 60s and early 70s, and most of the current residents purchased when built and have lived here since, hence the aging population.

They're all generally friendly, welcoming, and look out for each other. Being on a cul-de-sac creates more of a communal feel.

We're moving again soon but staying in the same town.

Edited by holdyourhead

I've never met them, but based on the people I see walking to and from their cars/the laundromat, I'd say they are quiet, studious, engineering students from somewhere in the Middle East. I'm a quiet, studious graduate student. We all live very quiet, boring lives in the island of solitude that is this apartment complex, surrounded by Greek houses.

There's a nosy, old (60ish?), crass woman on one side. She says what she wants, as loud as she wants, and doesn't give a fig about what people think. I don't like her. She's really rude a lot of the time. Not everyone knows how to take it. I understand her, though, and how to deal with her. I tolerate her whereas my landlady does not.

The other side is an older couple. Generally quiet. Say hi to her and chat when she's out front watering plants. He's usually only out front to walk to and from his truck, and he never makes eye contact or gives an indication of acknowledgement.

Across the street is a 50yr old single mom with two teenage boys. She's laid back, funny, intelligent, and is somehow friends with the old crass woman. I smoked a pipe and drank with them both one evening.

Edited by WisePelican

Quiet old couples on both sides. We smile and nod - high fences, good neighbours.

Most of my apartment neighbors are like me. Single, older women, often with a relative sharing the apartment. One has a grown, mentally handicapped daughter living with her, one has her 90-year-old mother, and I have one of my young-adult kids. 

We're respectful and helpful to each other. Occasionally one of us will leave some books or magazines out for anyone interested. The neighbor next to me, the newspaper kept being delivered while she was on vacation. I took in the papers, and she surprised me afterward with a $15 gift certificate to a restaurant! When I was switching from an ancient TracFone to a smartphone, I knocked on all the doors to find out what carriers work well in this location. Everyone seemed happy to share their experiences.

I commute between my home town and a few other cities where I have own residences there. The hometown residence is within an enclosed community and mostly resided by medical professionals and others : a few  built environment professionals and those in the security industry. Our favourite neighbours are the one facing our house and two in the last houses at the cul-de-sac. We have long simmering tensions with the neighbour who just moved next door a few years before. They tiled and cemented the entire landscaped area and their cats are 'ushered' next door  (our garden) so that they can answer their nature's calls 24/7 and inadvertently creating moist mush booby traps in various strategic locations. Including our porches etc.

We had informed the neighbours if they could place cat litter boxes in their compound so that their cats didn't mess our garden and flower beds but they said their cats loved our compound. Anyway we just bear with this and hoping one day that the cats manage to find other gardens as more appealing.

This is more tolerable now since I only return to this house for a few days out of every fortnight. 

As for the other residences, they are serviced condominiums in cities. I see my neighbours whenever I jog in the park, in the gym, and during AGM meetings (even then I tend to remember mostly the ones who I talk to the most and meet on regular levels in the lifts, parking bays etc, though I remember by name the property managers, guards, common area cleaners, some of the elected council members and the regular non-payors of service charges whose names always get listed on the notice boards).

There's another residence which is near completion in a capital city, it's a landed property within a gated community. The future neighbours are mostly academicians and expatriates since the housing projects are built within close proximity to no less than 5 universities and private international schools. This might be my favourite residence soon due to the amenities and facilities attached to the area for the occupants. Who knows I get to be more neighbourly here and perhaps stay longer in one place this time around.

We had some neighbors we were friends with but then they moved away. Everyone else is very quiet, keeps to themselves, we wave and smile when we see each other, once a year there's a neighborhood cookout and we go and have a pleasant chat with everyone.

Twelve years ago, on a Halloween, the neighborhood gained a reputation for being haunted.  At first pets, the roaming, then the ones chained in their yards, would disappear.  Children would be lured away, only to wake up in a field miles away, with strange surgical sutures, and sometimes strange grafts added...nictating membranes over the eyes, or webbed hands with talons added.   Old Jim, the neighborhood drunk, disappeared for three weeks.  When he came back, he was so changed, he was shot immediately by John Clarence.  The autopsy caused the FBI to investigate the area for two months, but nothing could be found.    People started to move away.  Nowadays, there's just empty streets and past memories.  So, I have no neighbors anymore.

When I lived with my parents, my neighbors were my friends) I live alone in a strange city (I moved out of Ostrava to Melbourne, Australia) I can not say anything about the neighbors, we hardly see each other)

On 10/24/2016 at 10:43 AM, Cak said:

What are they like? Do you get along with them?

We live in an apartment building. Our nearest neighbour is my mom - which is awesome. Her apartment's directly across the hall, next to the elevator. Best neighbour in the world. :laugh:

I have no idea who lives to our left at the moment. When we moved in here a few years ago, it was occupied by a loud, definitely nutty and cranky man and his silent, wanly-smiling and long-suffering SO. Since they moved out, there have been several different tenants, none of whom have made any impression on me whatsoever (which is a good thing).

To our right is a woman in her late 20s or early 30s who lives with a very, very big and friendly cat. She takes him for walks in the halls, and he likes to visit everyone. I like her (and the cat). She's friendly, but minds her own business. Her cat is the nosiest neighbour in our building.

Above us there's a woman whose husband had to be put in a home because of early-onset Alzheimer's. That was sad, seeing him deteriorate. He was causing a lot of problems, though, especially as his condition worsened. He would overflow the bathtub...we've been treated to about 3 separate deluges through our own bathroom ceiling as a result.

An old lady lives in the apartment below us. Very quiet. I don't think I even know what she looks like.

I've come across other random neighbours on my way to my car or the laundry room. Most are polite and friendly, and keep themselves to themselves. It's a nice building, with a mixture of professionals like ourselves, mature students (late 20s and 30s), and long-term residents (most of whom are retired). The landlady keeps close tabs on things. No kids (it's a de facto adult-only building). A couple who lived for a year on our floor before moving on had a little boy who would scream a lot (tantrum-type), but since they left, no families with children have lived here.

Edited by Madden

Neighbours are mostly retired elderly folk. Very friendly and sociable. 

We don't do much aside from wave. I just have an issue with the lack of supervision for the small children playing in the street. I also have an issue with the appearance of their yards, but not too big of a big deal. From what I gather from this thread, my current neighbors would come out to be like a 6 or 7 out of 10. I have had some crappy, loud neighbors before and glad they left.

no offense 1 (bad) would be Holli/SelfMadeBum's certain neighbors 
10 (good) would be Nemesis/Bluestreak's nearly nonexistent neighbors

Edited by Cak

I get along with my neighbours normally, though actually feel a little bad atm, the old lady across from us was recently diagnosed with cancer & lives on her own so we keep an eye on her ( she's old school chatty, useful nosy & a sweetie so doesn't bother me). I was away for a few days & came home to find out she had collapsed in the backyard & no one could hear her calling for hours. 

Next door is a couple moved in a year ago, but they are friendly/quiet enough. 

I live in an apartment complex, and all of my closest neighbors are nice enough. The young woman above me was kind enough to run downstairs and knock on my door at 11:00pm to warn me that my car was about to be towed away. There is a small family that lives directly next to me, a couple in their mid 30's with a baby. They are friendly, but I try to avoid running into them because they will always trap me in an annoying conversation... they are potheads, sort of goofy, and on random occasions the wife will go out into the courtyard pool area and sing annoying songs very loudly while dancing. I get annoyed by the loud singing, but it's really my only complaint.

at our house, we're tucked up in the woods with our neighbors far enough away so that they don't bother us at all - and vice versa. When it snows heavily, or when a storm drops a tree across it, we'll sometimes merge efforts to clear the private dirt road that connects us to the town road.

at our camper, which is set up on a permanent site in a medium sized campground, and where I spend much of the spring, summer and fall, we have a mixed bag of neighbors, with ages ranging from 35 to 90 but most of which are middle aged. Many of us get together quite often in the evenings to party around this firepit or that...playing guitars, drinking and smoking pot are usually a factor in such gatherings.  For the most part, I really enjoy my neighbors there.

I suspect I'm a -drama particle which unfortunately attracts +drama particles.

To my right, I've got a Taiwanese woman with a Chinese boyfriend and they fight regularly. She tells him to move out, he just yells "No", and she doesn't understand how he can be so disrespectful of women. Sometimes they start at 2am. Sometimes they have loud sex.

To my left, I've got I think a South African. An aggressively extroverted friend of his came over one night and got all miffed because he assumed I was lying when I said I worked at night and couldn't hang out. Either he or the loud friend of his (or both, 2 different handwritings) were leaving creepy notes under the door for my roommate. Last week, after finding a vibrating dildo at our door, we assumed we were being harassed. My roommate, in insulted-Chinese fashion, escalated the situation with a nasty note under their door. Cut to a second confrontation with my neighbor and his 2 friends who left the dildo, and my roommate losing his mind with 3 black people yelling at him, and the neighbor saying he wasn't gay (not knowing photos of his grinder and conversations with locals have been making their way around Shanghai social media networks). Literally, all I did was throw out a dildo. I think they were already moving out. I hope.

Across the hall, there is the couple of Brazilian models. She came running over for protection at 5:30am a while back after he beat her up for the third time and hit their dog. We called the cops, who did nothing. We braved the athletic model/martial artist boyfriend to get her passport and phone. Then I stayed with her for most of the day after he left and then returned and broke the door to get some of his stuff. A few days later, I see on wechat that she is posting sexy photos of them on the beach on vacation. So, yeah. That's a healthy situation.

Everyone else on my floor seems fine. I just hate when they cook stinky tofu with the door open.

Edited by oberonblue

I like my neighbors. I live in a neighborhood with the houses all pretty close together so I got lucky. I have no backyard neighbors since there is a large highway a few hundred yards behind my house. We chose this house deliberately for that reason.

To my left: White couple in early sixties with 3 20-something kids, one of which still kinda lives at home. I play golf about 5 times a year with the dad who is 62. He might be ISTx. I will have long conversations with the him and/or his wife when I'm out in the yard. Just good people. I think their son just came out of the closet a couple years ago. I ran into him at the Y one day and we talked for a while and my GAYDAR went off like crazy. He'd always appeared very "straight" publicly so I think he was finally coming into his own. Since then he's been more flamboyant and stuff. Him and his brother also played golf with us a couple times. They are all athletic. Really great family. I hope they never move.

To my right: Some white lady in her 50s/60s who has an adult kid but I think she's a lesbian now. She's had a "friend" lady coming by regularly for all 6 years I've lived here. She kind of looks like Napoleon Dynamite's aunt. She's quite rugged. We get along but she planted a huge tree in her backyard which I hate b/c it can cause me foundation problems in the future as well as be a hazard during hurricane season. She also yelled at me when I was filling a birdfeeder in my front yard and said it's attracting rats in her backyard. This bothered me because she was chatting with another neighbor at the time and I thought that was super rude. Not to mention illogical. Her illegal immigrant lawn guy is a dickhead who I cussed out one day for blowing her grass clippings all over my property. He stopped doing it for a couple weeks then just does it again now. Whatever. I rarely see her outside. She keeps her property in really good condition, which I like. One day like 4 years ago she was out chatting (flirting?) with my wife, who is attractive. I went outside shirtless and was like "Hi, how's it going?" and she got all weird then just kinda left. I think she didn't know I was home and was trying to hit on my wife. GTFO.

Straight across the street is a Vietnamese family with 4-5 vehicles and seemingly around 8-10 people in their house at all times. I parked my car in the street one time years ago when I was sweeping the driveway or something and their son backed into my car, denting it. I didn't see it but my neighbor to the right (Napoleon's aunt) told me she saw it. Later that day their other brother came by to tell me his brother did it. That was weird. I said something rude like "Well, that's because he wasn't paying attention" and he was like "...Yeah.." lol. The next day the patriarch of the family, the matriarch, the son I'd just talked to, and an uncle came to my door and we were all gonna go get an estimate. I told them I'm probably not going to fix it since my car sucked anyway and just make me a reasonable cash offer if they want and save us all some time. The uncle - who I assume was supposed to be the bully guy - was like "No, YOU make an offer." and I go "I don't have to make an offer. I can go get the estimate from the repair guy." And then the patriarch pulled out a wad of money and offered $200, which I thought was fair. I'd pre-determined that if they make me a good offer I will let them off the hook a bit, seeing as they're righteous people. So I said just give me $150 and they all got happy and shook my hand and stuff and that was that. I thought it was a good way to get something and also come off as a good guy. The family patriarch always waves and smiles at me still years later when I see him. A small gesture can go a long way.

Across the street to the right is a single white mom in her late thirties probably. She's very introverted. I bought a lawnmower from her when she had a garage sale once and it worked twice then I gave it away. I talked to her once when I got her mail accidentally. She eye-fucks me when she catches me lifting weights shirtless in the garage.

Across the street to the left is a black couple in their mid thirties with a son the same age as my son. We're friends and our kids play together a lot. We go to their son's birthday parties and they do ours. The guy is a mechanical engineer for NASA and always working on his car. He's helped me with car repairs a few times. Real nice people. The mom has a business out of state where she flies there every weekend and fixes black people hair. They make pretty good money. They use the N-word in front of us so I know we're tight. We've had a lot of good talks about family and money and I get the impression they struggle with being a successful black family amidst their extended families. They seem to take a lot of heat for fitting in with the whiteys if you will. They get comments like "you forgot where you came from" and shit like that. Pretty sad. They have a lifestyle that anyone would envy. They're expecting a second kid which makes me sad because we're stopping at one.

2 houses down to my left is a Vietnamese family. Never really talked to them but the dad told me he liked my decorations on Halloween. We wave at each other.

2 houses down to my right is a Korean (?) family. Never really interact with them. Just see them a lot. Their daughter rang my doorbell and ran a few years ago with 2 boys and I went out and told them not to since I had a baby and it wakes up. They got all scared but I told them I used to have fun, too. I said just don't do my house, please. They stopped.

Across and 2 to the right is an Indian family that I haven't really interacted with. They seem pretty boring. I just see them in the yard from time to time.

Across and 2 to the left is a young married couple and I've talked to the guy a few times and he's spotted me working out once. He's out in his driveway a lot smoking and drinking. His wife seems like a hermit. I've actually wondered if it's actually his sister and he was just ashamed to say he bought a house with his sister. You almost never see them together and never ever looking like an actual couple. But he's a real chill dude. Sandals and tank top kinda guy. Washes his dog a lot in the driveway. Walks his dog a lot.

Every one of these 9 families has been here since 2010 when I moved in. I hope they don't move because I like all of them.  There are some trashy sections of the neighborhood so I feel lucky to be surrounded by nice/normal/quiet families.

No idea what they think of us. My family kind of looks like an all-American Chevy commercial. They probably think we're super American, which we are. They probably think I own guns and stuff, which I don't. But I like that I look like "gun guy". It's probably enough to keep people away. I put flags out for "flag holidays" and stuff. We decorate a lot for Halloween and Christmas, etc. For an "N" I really do like Americana stuff.

Edited by INTJoe

I have a coroner on my left and a guy with a tow truck business on my right. The neighbors across the street have a daughter the same age as my oldest so they play often. It's fairly quiet around here & we all get along. The only issue I ever had was someone's little dog kept digging under our fence and pissing all over our veggie garden..and then would bark at us for walking in our own backyard. Good thing he was quick or I would've gladly turned him into fertilizer. He disappeared a while back though..his luck finally ran out I guess.

Good neighbors all around, as a generality.  It's one of the safest neighborhoods in the city with owners, so they care about maintaining their homes.