Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

EchoFlame

Body Language: Are you incapable of reading it?

57 posts in this topic

Introverted

Male

70:

"Although there are a few body language gestures that you still misread, for the most part, you are fairly skilled at reading non-verbal signals. With a little more knowledge and practice, you can turn this skill into a strength. You try to be attentive to both verbal and non-verbal body language because you understand the concept that actions can often speak louder than words. This skill will be very useful in your interactions with others and allow you to better understand and empathize with people."

Piece of shit website lets me answer 3 questions then goes to some bullshit clickbait page. Fuck this.

Dude, you always complain about ads on quizzes, why not just download adblock?

Introvert Male. 85

You are very skilled at reading body language. When you are interacting with someone, you likely make it a point to pay attention to both what they say verbally as well as their non-verbal communications. This provides you with a more well-rounded understanding of a person's feelings, and allows you to adjust your own social approach in turn. This skill is an asset in any position that requires you to work with people.

Introvert Male

Overall Result 87

You are very skilled at reading body language. When you are interacting with someone, you likely make it a point to pay attention to both what they say verbally as well as their non-verbal communications. This provides you with a more well-rounded understanding of a person's feelings, and allows you to adjust your own social approach in turn. This skill is an asset in any position that requires you to work with people.

Introvert

Male

Score = 85

Well, the point of this thread was Distance's continued insistence that all introverted males can't read body language. I'd say for the most part we scored rather well.

Thank you for participating. It might not have been the most scientific test ever, but it is way better than wildly proclaiming something based on confirmation bias.

Edited by EchoFlame

82 out of 100. Yay,

'Ambivert' male.

I'll just add to this that I think "body language" is mostly superfluous BS, because since it has been in vogue in western media for around a couple of decades, people have learned to feign it and to also pay far more attention to it than makes sense. For example - If I fold my arms, could it possibly be because it is more comfortable that way (or I am physically tired) yet I do not feel defensive at all? Of course.

I'm quoting you because I agree with much of what you point out.

I hadn't take this test but one very much like it: Yuppies is what we used to call the ones in the photo, reminds me of the show Everybody Loves Raymond being politically correct and making sure to portray all the blacks (except for his brother, the cop's partner, Judy who was so damn working-class, New York real) as monied, smooth, using all the products.

So, I don't watch tee vee and all that jazz; don't use the products, know a ton of people who don't use these body gestures like "fingers against temples" to signal "overwhelmed" or "confused", and I scored:

75%

Although there are a few body language gestures that you still misread, for the most part, you are fairly skilled at reading non-verbal signals. With a little more knowledge and practice, you can turn this skill into a strength. You try to be attentive to both verbal and non-verbal body language because you understand the concept that actions can often speak louder than words. This skill will be very useful in your interactions with others and allow you to better understand and empathize with people.

In real life, I can just about smell someone in pain; notice a stranger with tears in her eyes without looking, I mean seriously, it's a glance, and a whole lot more that in real life has helped others and myself, but this Mr. and Ms. Young, Skinny, Dyed, Looking Pretty fake people?

I guess I'm average at picking out the posed "I'm sad" and what-not... 25% of the time.

And I'm a linguist, professional writer, so the words? Many meanings, and it isn't just nuances--it's more than one meaning for a word; more than one for the guy in the red shirt who crossed a leg, but "defensive" wasn't one possibility to go along with "angry".

And what does "sulking" look like in someone who isn't a child with a pushed out lip or standing in a corner facing the wall with others in the photo to indicate, "Hey, that kid is punishing those adults by removing herself from them".

:wave:

I'm annoyed. Hope y'all could tell 'cause I can't fake my use of emoticons. \ (•◡•) /

Edited by ness2361
typo

I got 85 but have to say - I despise multiple choice and found flaws with the test. Several of the pictures actually had various options that should/could have been correct depending on the circumstance or person or were lacking the description that came to my mind as soon as I saw the person. Someone could look sad but actually be overwhelmed. Some people hide anger very well and end up looking detached. It is imperative to be present to read body language properly.

Edited by CurlyKate

I got 85 but have to say - I despise multiple choice and found flaws with the test. Several of the pictures actually had various options that should/could have been correct depending on the circumstance or person or were lacking the description that came to my mind as soon as I saw the person. Someone could look sad but actually be overwhelmed. Some people hide anger very well and end up looking detached. It is imperative to be present to read body language properly.

Exactly. In person, we all have--unless we truly have some kind of brain damage, other block--the ability to pick up cues for sad, angry, about to break:

It's survival of the fittest at its most obvious level.

I'm glad a few of us taking this test are aware of that, which means we're aware of how we're really being tested for "actors feigning this or that emotion using body language on par with selling drugs for headaches, depression or heck, marital counseling sessions."

Tried picking the first option of all 11 and got 75 | Then tried slightly varying the last 5 and got 83

Edited by aok

Although there are a few body language gestures that you still misread, for the most part, you are fairly skilled at reading non-verbal signals.

Ambivert.

Edited by fleets

Introverted, male

The test makers could not possibly know whether any of us pays attention, close or other, to what someone says based on these actors and whether or not we chose what we were supposed to choose to get a good score.

I keep picturing the fingers to the temple for confusion, or whatever... And other than commercials I've never seen this gesture, which I posit may mean a lot of people who score high on this watch many videos, films, commercials and other dramatic reenactments in which actors do, in fact, place an index finger on each side of their heads, exactly at the temple, stare at a computer screen and look overwhelmed or confused.

They also see actors sitting on leather couches (very neat ones, brand new smell) and turn away from each other) to indicate I am mad at you, or I am sulking (red shirt guy?) and the other is merely perturbed (not a word choice on the list of possibilities).

I bet the male couple, separated by former raw hide, smell as freshly minted as their brand new couches, too. (͠≖ ͜ʖ͠≖)👌

Edited by ness2361
Correction

Introverted, Male, 86

Though I must say I am surprised because as an Aspie I am certainly not the best at reading body language in day to day life but as I was only recently diagnosed I probably adapted by developing a very basic ability to interpret body language. 

Male - I - 77

I find that passage lovely:

Although there are a few body language gestures that you still misread, for the most part, you are fairly skilled at reading non-verbal signals. With a little more knowledge and practice, you can turn this skill into a strength. You try to be attentive to both verbal and non-verbal body language because you understand the concept that actions can often speak louder than words. This skill will be very useful in your interactions with others and allow you to better understand and empathize with people.

Gosh... should've turned my pc's speaker on... :crowngrin:

Not sure if it matters, but I took the "not sure if can be determined" option as a toke jopic...

Further things to mention:

- The limited options of answers make this test rather ... limited in assessing anyone ?

- 15 questions don't seem like much, a bigger sample size would be neat

(also: some people learn bodylanguage naturally, and just know *it*, and others learn by people watching. Would be interesting to see how this affects scores)

- Oh and: We need to have a 50/50 male-female ratio in this thread by the end, so we can test that pedjudice.

Edited by dai

Introverted female

Introvert Male

More of a test on how well you do multiple choice.  I'm terrible with body language and I know it, but damn good at guessing what answer a test is looking for.

Introverted Female