Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

Velocitii

Pokemon Go

1,294 posts in this topic
10 hours ago, Silverity said:

I might make my dratini my buddy for a bit in hopes of evolving a dragonaire.

The last couple of times Niantic ran a "get 4x the candy for walking your buddy!" special, pretty much everyone did that.  Every gym in San Francisco is 10 Dragonites now.  Every. One.

I reeeeeally hope I see a Chansey somewhere.  So far just has been a lot of Jiggypuff, Clefairy, Exeggcute, and Slowpoke.

It sucks that I really can't earn extra buddy candy right now since I'm in a walking boot and under doctor's orders not to hike or walk for fitness.

3 hours ago, Holli said:

I reeeeeally hope I see a Chansey somewhere.  So far just has been a lot of Jiggypuff, Clefairy, Exeggcute, and Slowpoke.

I hadn't even realized the event started. On my way to work this morning, first monster to pop up was a Chansey. I knew something was up.

I looked at the Pokemon Go Columbus Facebook page and apparently there's an area where there are tons of Chansey and Porygon, so I'll be going over there tomorrow and hopefully have some much.  Definitely doesn't appear to be any around me.

Though maybe I'll drive downtown first.

Haven't seen any Chansets, but Slowpokes, Clefairies, and Jigglypuffs are everywhere. Every now and then I see an exeggcute, which is exciting. I hope I find a Chansey too!

Well, I have about 400 exeggcute candies now and still no clefairy.  The one damn thing I want out of this has yet to show up.  

I'm sorta upset that I haven't had 10k egg in a while.  I finished my 3 incubators that were given when I turned lv 30, so that's 9 eggs, plus all the 2k eggs with my infinite incubator.  

Hmm.  It was time I expanded my pokemon bag or whatever.  

Reached level 30 today, my daughter is really into it so we play a bit (I've been using lucky eggs pretty much the whole way to level 30, which shows in the fact that she's around level 25, and we play together; she's not using the double experience thing)... by my math, that's only about half a decade more till I get to level 40 - however I don't think I'd continue investing $10 a month in buying the lucky eggs. They really went extreme with the level step requirement in this thing, haha.

I've noticed while looking at gyms that I think a lot of people didn't factor in saving the dust until later game play, because it seems people have focused energy on pokemon that don't seem to have the highest IV.  The CP doesn't match what I assume it should be given investing energy (dust) in them (that is they are, or have been, leveling up stuff without knowing the IV, I guess? Maybe only some very analytical weirdos like me are serious enough to figure that out).  I really have only ever used leveling up on 5 pokemon... all ones with above 90% (a 95% Gyarados that is at 2900 now, which I guess will probably pass 3000 if I actually play enough to get to level 32.  The problem is, getting to level 32 (just two more levels) takes more than half of the points it took me to get all the way to 30. That's nuts.)  I'm about at the point where I may start to level up the Eve types... and just start doing more gym battles. I have about 500K dust.

I'm losing a bit of enthusiasm now that it takes a couple dozen hours of game play just to get up another level (all so that I can just level up these five favorites another two levels). Curious what, if anything people are doing that I may be missing. Filling the pokedex? I guess I have quite a bit left to do there. Still no Dragonite here. I'm not even close on that one. I have yet to connect with any groups, or play actively with anyone other than my 8 year old. I guess that adds another dynamic. We have fun spending an hour taking down a blue gym that keeps popping up near our house as level 10 - 52000/50000 (takes quite a bit of patience and a little strategy in the ordering of types to take one of those down with just two people, not to mention a need to constantly replace all of the items lost to make it work). That's probably been the most enjoyable part of the game play so far. I wonder how long it takes the team of 10 blue guys to retake it up to that level. That part of the game play I'm pretty clueless about. I've won a gym before and then fought my own guy to get it up to 4000/4000 or 8000/8000 , but that seems like such a waste. It takes a lot of items and it's a long process for little gain. Maybe I'm missing something there?

Edited by JuxtAposE

20 minutes ago, JuxtAposE said:

Maybe I'm missing something there?

So is catching them all. And leveling up. All video games are ultimately pointless. The point is fun, I guess. Some people find taking territory and holding it more fun than just catching stuff. Some people find both fun.

10 minutes ago, EchoFlame said:

So is catching them all. And leveling up. All video games are ultimately pointless. The point is fun, I guess. Some people find taking territory and holding it more fun than just catching stuff. Some people find both fun.

The last sentence was aimed at the final point... and my confusion about if its easier (more worthwhile) to raise the level of a gym with larger groups, than doing it all by yourself? I suspect it's an exponential thing. What exactly is going on when a gym goes to level 10... is that just one person doing that (while others throw a new pokemon in each time a slot opens), or is it typically a larger group collectively raising the level together?

Edited by JuxtAposE

Way easier with others. And way easier to hold if it is maxed out.

5 minutes ago, EchoFlame said:

Way easier with others. And way easier to hold if it is maxed out.

Confirms my suspicion... I think the satisfaction in taking one down, is the realization all those people need to coordinate doing it together again :) my hour is not wasted.  Haha, actually my daughter gets a mischievous laugh when we take them over. She's way more competitive than I am, and that's a pretty high bar :)

Ya, I like taking down a gym and seeing familiar names put up their pokemon hours later.  Anymore, it doesn't take much to take down a level 10 gym.  

I'm not a part of any organization, but I would like to start a group of my team to claim the "downtown" area of my small town.  I posted some CL ads, but they weren't effective.  My team now has 2 gyms that have stayed up for over a month now.  I want to get one on campus that is established as our gym.  I think I might spend some time tomorrow taking down other gyms.. just to stir things up a bit.  We seem to be in a stalemate and I'm not OK with it.

Edited by Junk

Aren't many Instinct players in my town. There are a few noticeable ones because they're the highest levels in town. 35+. One dude at 40. They started a Facebook group called the gym smashers. Between 2-4 of them drive around, take down any gym in a heartbeat, and generally level the gym up a couple times while there so passing instinct people can throw a monster in.

Instinct against the world.

for gym leveling, just match the types of the bottom pokemon with your own pokemon that have lower cp and type advantage. the ideal is  to use your own pokemon that have half the cp of the defender pokemon, but the battle might be rough. i see what's in the gym, pick a high iv team with type advantage and about half the cp of the defenders, and then also include a chansey in the team to tank and do the last bits of damage if the rest of the team faints. you gain a ton of gym prestige per battle this way. also, sometimes the bottom pokemon is weak enough to easily knock out like this, but the next pokemon up is not. in that situation, just defeat the bottom pokemon and leave to be more efficient with your time/resources.

there are two or three gyms that have been pretty stable high level mystic gyms that i collect coins from. i think one of them has been blue for almost two months now!

15 hours ago, JuxtAposE said:

I'm losing a bit of enthusiasm now that it takes a couple dozen hours of game play just to get up another level (all so that I can just level up these five favorites another two levels). Curious what, if anything people are doing that I may be missing. Filling the pokedex?

i just completed my gen 1 pokedex yesterday with the valentine's porygon running around, but i'm missing some of the new gen 2 babies now. the main thing that drives me to continue playing while waiting for gen 2 is the desire to level up a whole bunch of high iv pokemon of different types. it's one thing to complete a pokedex, but another to collect and groom a wide variety of battle-worthy pokemon.

i should add that i'm actually collecting two sets of battle pokemon. one set around 800 to 1000 cp for leveling up friendly gyms and the other with as high a cp as possible to take down enemy gyms.

Edited by muddyglass

Hit 31 today. Thank god 32 is only another 500,000  ... this is ridic.

Oh. And so many 2k eggs now. So much no. It sucks.

Edited by WisePelican

66 degrees out today!  Phone can't charge fast enough!

The valentine's special is not helping me much in terms of pink pokemon, I was really hoping for some variety but it's the same old case that are around normally-- fairies, puffs and pokes. Granted, I want to collect lots of slowpoke candy for the eventual upgrade, but man am I jealous of the people saying they have chanseys and porygons =\

I don't mind the 2k eggs, pidgeys are good for xp grinding, zubats will get the second stage evolution soon, and any of the original 3 starters are rarities around here.

Slowpoke isn't very common around here, but there's a local metro park that I discovered several weeks ago that is a nest for them, which is how I ended up getting my Slowbro.  But because of this event, I'm seeing SO MANY (everywhere) ... I have 254 Slowpoke candy right now.  Slowking, I'm ready for you.

I went to the area of my city where it's said that Chansey and Porygon are everywhere ... and, sure enough, we saw both in parking lots of shopping centers right off the highway.  Caught one Chansey and left because that's all we needed.  If I hadn't read the Columbus Pokemon Go FB group posts about it, I'm not sure I would have caught one because I haven't seen it anywhere else.  And that area of the city isn't one I go to frequently.

Grr.  another smoochum.  But hey!  I evolved my first electrode!  

I'm done with this event.  Unless a clefairy comes up tomorrow, it will have been a waste for me.  I guess the extra candies were kinda nice, though.  

Literally got 100+ Clefairy candy in one outing.

I want a Chansey . . .

I'll get that much or more of exeggcutes..  possibly that many in jigglypuffs, but I don't even bother with them lol.  I hatched two high IV and 833 or 933 (I can't remember) cp chanseys a long time ago.  I still haven't seen one with the event, but I'm not worried.  

OK cool.  Just the other day, I read something that seemed to say that they were going to release Gen 2 pokemon one at a time or something stupid...  the first would be in March.  I was kinda pissy.