Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

PTD

All in all, life is pretty boring

98 posts in this topic
46 minutes ago, paulcod said:

one's life is what you make it of it,"Boredom" may derive from psychology factors ( Existential Depression,Depersonalization) also physically alcohol and drugs withdrawal syndrome.

Try to manage your space and time that things that derivate from your talent,passions hobbies and dont live in a close up/aliniative enviroment that put limations to your creativity.

Try some foods boost pleasure in brain fuctions like Green tea,ginkgo biloba, nettles, dandelion, and ginseng.

On 12/30/2016 at 1:31 PM, eagleseven said:

Practically speaking, "boredom" occurs when your brain's pleasure-receptors are burnt out. Everything seems boring because your brain can no longer respond to pleasurable stimuli.

Hmmm, I would explain boredom like this. It means that the person lacks mental attributes such as creativity, imagination and curiosity. 

If you are creative, imaginative and curious, then it would be very difficult to be bored for long. Because even in apparently limited and mundane environments, you see that there are so many paths and so many things to explore. 

5 hours ago, Major Chord said:

Hmmm, I would explain boredom like this. It means that the person lacks mental attributes such as creativity, imagination and curiosity.

Invariably, people with very low creativity, imagination and curiosity are extremely rarely bored. Their brains don't have the desire to seek out new mental adventures and are extremely happy with what they have.

5 hours ago, Major Chord said:

If you are creative, imaginative and curious, then it would be very difficult to be bored for long. Because even in apparently limited and mundane environments, you see that there are so many paths and so many things to explore. 

Only if you use your creativity, your imagination and your curiosity.

If you're not using them, they may be aware that you could get much more out of life than you are currently getting, because they can imagine that you can do a lot more.

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, scorpiomover said:

Invariably, people with very low creativity, imagination and curiosity are extremely rarely bored. Their brains don't have the desire to seek out new mental adventures and are extremely happy with what they have.

There is this state of mind that lies between the boundaries of brilliant creativity and utter dullness; those that lie therein are the victims of mediocrity. They don't lack imagination, nor do they lack creativity; they're just unable to effectively realize the minute inclinations they already posses. This leads to boredom; a state wherein one is able to recognize the potential for something more, but is also unable to realize this mere abstraction. 

Edited by NSchet
Grammar mistake.

Posted (edited)

On 28/01/2016 at 7:38 AM, PTD said:

All in all, it is pretty boring.

21 years of existence has not changed that fact. What could 20, 40, 60 more years change?

Before you say new experiences....

Even new experiences are boring. What could 20, 40, 60 more years of new experience change?

I've always been a fervent utopist. But... what could a utopia change?

I haven't slept much in the last few days... But my mind seems the more clearer now. What could sleep change?

Over half of my waking existence has been me personifying hedonism. What could more pleasure seeking change?

All in all, life is pretty boring.

life is boring because people are boring

INTJs are alone among the masses who don't search for truth or anything. they act like robots until death

yes i mean that because i think

you can't say to people  " look, we are not here to be stupid consumer working until death in a meaningless life. life is about evolution "

they will reply " yes ok,, next, what's on TV tonight ?"   or  " i don't care leave me alone with my smartphone "

i am not kidding . life is boring because people are not worthy of human potential

if there is God,  he, she, it  might think that most people are just insulting the human potential in them

Edited by French INTJ

Wholeheartedly agree... it IS boring.

All those useless limitations forced upon us...

At least one still has their mind.

...... added to this post 4 minutes later:

On 12/24/2016 at 4:29 PM, Major Chord said:

People who find life boring tend to be people who live boring lives. This is not only true, it's also logical.

So you recommend getting an adrenaline rush o.o. things one already knows the outcome to ?

Don't tell me life isn't very predictable in most ways...

Posted (edited)

Hey, if YOUR life is boring, that's your problem. I don't have to recommend you anything. LOL.

Your other thread comes to my mind. The one where you said you'd rather THINK about being in a relationship, rather than actually BE in a relationship with, you know, a real human being. To which, Swamp Yankee suggested you try actual sex rather than just masturbation.

Bye! I have better things to do than sit around here talking to bored people trying to fantasize themselves out of chronic boredom. Especially if even their fantasies are boring ....

Edited by Major Chord

Posted (edited)

Life can also be boring if you are boring, from my point of view. 

Edited by Neus

Life is neither boring or interesting. It's all about the reactions to life that we make.

Being potentially depressed, apathetic and having dampened emotions, life is pretty boring to me....or not...these days I don't really feel much boredom either.

Or is boredom rather a lack of feeling. Am I bored or am I not? I wonder. But. I don't really care. Then why am I thinking or even writing this? Why? Because I cared some minutes ago, I guess.

On 4/27/2017 at 3:26 PM, dai said:

All those useless limitations forced upon us.

Some examples would help, here. Like what kind of limitations, basic laws of physics stuff ? I. E. hold a bowling ball at your waist and let it go to see if it falls UP ? Maybe ?

Maybe some Darwin Awards candidates could have some insight to the thread ?

It can be boring this existence.  How would you decorate your boredom?

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, RBM said:

Some examples would help, here. Like what kind of limitations, basic laws of physics stuff ? I. E. hold a bowling ball at your waist and let it go to see if it falls UP ? Maybe ?

Maybe some Darwin Awards candidates could have some insight to the thread ?

Heh..

Rules. Unwritten "social scripts". etc. etc.

I'd be surprised if anyone was never bothered by any...

Darwin Award ? Are you one of those that believe it often hits ppl cause they were bored with life ?

I oftentime saw it as lack of foresight if anything

@Major Chord:

I won't even bother using the quote button..

Let me put it just in this way:

Everything becomes boring if it gets predictable.

You should be able to follow... I hope.

(Aside from the fact that you should've just redirected this at my inbox, as it hasn't got to do so much with the thread.. Rather than -apparantly- me)

Edited by dai

Posted (edited)

Boredom can be short term, much like a feeling of boredom, or a long term existential kind of boredom. Which is which? 

I myself experience boredom when I see that I'm prevented from having the sort of experiences I want to have in the now, while being offered others that I'm not so keen about.

Edited by Bisclavret

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, Bisclavret said:

Boredom can be short term, much like a feeling of boredom, or a long term existential kind of boredom. Which is which? 

I myself experience boredom when I see that I'm prevented from having the sort of experiences I want to have, while being offered others that I'm not so keen about.

Exactly. And that is what stupid restriction are partially to blame for.

Either have to jump through hoops or have to neglect options altogether.

Restricted options when weighing possibilities, the utmost boredom in the making.

Edited by dai

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, dai said:

Exactly. And that is what stupid restriction are partially to blame for.

Either have to jump through hoops or have to neglect options altogether.

Restricted options when weighing possibilities, the utmost boredom in the making.

It can be difficult. Currently, that is proving to be one of my main issues with life as is. 

I think it's common for many of us to desire to be true the architects of our own lives, our own realities. In some ways, we can reform it, more so within than without. Still, you will inevitably run into hurdles. Ideally, we wouldn't have such hurdles and or would possess a lot more room for safe experimentation. My hope is that, in time, technology may provide us with a little more wiggle room than what we currently have. But, it is important to realize that as finite beings, as part of a physical universe with rules, there will always be some restrictions as far as our lives are concerned. We just need to find a way to work around that, and make things as interesting as we can while we're here. That's the tricky part. 

Edited by Bisclavret

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, dai said:

Heh..

Rules. Unwritten "social scripts". etc. etc.

I'd be surprised if anyone was never bothered by any...

Darwin Award ? Are you one of those that believe it often hits ppl cause they were bored with life ?

I oftentime saw it as lack of foresight if anything

@Major Chord:

I won't even bother using the quote button..

Let me put it just in this way:

Everything becomes boring if it gets predictable.

You should be able to follow... I hope.

(Aside from the fact that you should've just redirected this at my inbox, as it hasn't got to do so much with the thread.. Rather than -apparantly- me)

Social scripts are quite easy to ignore, in my experience. Of course the ignorer must be of specific personal constitution. The odds are though, you aren't of the proper constitution, but are the alternative, of one degree or another, A Whiner.

Boredom breeds complacency >> Merriam-Webster; "self-satisfaction especially when accompanied by unawareness of actual dangers or deficiencies When it comes to safety, complacency can be dangerous."

Being unaware doesn't stop at dangers or deficiencies. Being unaware is directly related to Darwin's Awards, and using a different term of <foresight>: "the ability to predict or the action of predicting what will happen or be needed in the future" just confirms where boredom occurs - in the ability to predict.

I have no problem whatsoever finding uncertainty. Your statement is conditional with an 'IF ... it gets predictable'.

Therefore from your own remark there is the possibility unpredictable elements among the conditional 'IF'.

You make no recognition of this straight logic of grammar, much less actually looking for any unpredictability, which is all about attitude more than facts of the conditional scenario. Heh, heh, talk about lack of foresight. !!

...... added to this post 4 minutes later:

8 hours ago, Bisclavret said:

Ideally, we wouldn't have such hurdles and or would possess a lot more room for safe experimentation.

Your 'ideal' fails to recognize the nature of Reality is as a kindergarten trainer with feedback loops to increase the rate of climbing the learning curve. Fix that and the <hurdles> make total sense.

The Dream Reality is where safe experimentation is designed to occur.

Edited by RBM

Posted (edited)

You do realize that your assumption is unfounded ?

I have no problem with ignoring social scripts as is.However contrary to you I apparantly possess something called a conscience (as useless as I might find it..)
Therefore I try not to bulldoze over people if I can avoid it.

Seems you are just fine with doing just that. So keep doing that.

On your other bantering:

- Must be a wonderful life without if's in your life.. most people don't have that privilege( What is that super efficient city called you reside in ? must be a paradise)

- Whining ? You seem confused... Keep copy and pasting definitions as you wish.. the fact remains... It appears you have no interest in this threads topic whatsoever...

Or... are you living the ultimate boredom-free life. Doubtful

PS: I'm not the one to take people on directly since there is no point in doing so, but since your interest appears to be personal level subjectivity. Fine. Go ahead. I'll ready my popcorn in the meantime.. Or better yet I'll wait for ACTUAL responses that try to be of constructive nature..

Where in -any- of your statements was constructivity hidden ?

All that aside:

To turn this thread around:

Examples of activities that lighten your 'boredom'

I could list jogging and music.

Edited by dai

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, dai said:

On your other bantering:

You missed the point >

Bantering - talk or exchange remarks in a good-humored

teasing way.[/quote]

I wasn't teasing but providing actionable information.

Edited by RBM

On 28/01/2016 at 5:38 PM, PTD said:

All in all, it is pretty boring.

21 years of existence has not changed that fact. What could 20, 40, 60 more years change?

Before you say new experiences....

Even new experiences are boring. What could 20, 40, 60 more years of new experience change?

I've always been a fervent utopist. But... what could a utopia change?

I haven't slept much in the last few days... But my mind seems the more clearer now. What could sleep change?

Over half of my waking existence has been me personifying hedonism. What could more pleasure seeking change?

All in all, life is pretty boring.

Spoken like someone who doesn't walk around all day without pants, while evading police and getting into weird conversations with strangers about it.

Or rather, someone with priorities higher than not being bored.

Why are you spending half your life doing things that bore you when the other half has more interesting options available?