Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

PTD

All in all, life is pretty boring

98 posts in this topic

All in all, it is pretty boring.

21 years of existence has not changed that fact. What could 20, 40, 60 more years change?

Before you say new experiences....

Even new experiences are boring. What could 20, 40, 60 more years of new experience change?

I've always been a fervent utopist. But... what could a utopia change?

I haven't slept much in the last few days... But my mind seems the more clearer now. What could sleep change?

Over half of my waking existence has been me personifying hedonism. What could more pleasure seeking change?

All in all, life is pretty boring.

Edited by PTD

Yes. Add anhedonia to it and you have an endless stream of nightmarish photocopies.

Yeah, it doesn't change much as you grow older.

It sucks to be smart enough to see the big picture and the systems around you at work but also dumb enough to be unable to have any lasting impact on those systems.

So I try my best to take care of those around me. Yeah, their lives are as meaningless as mine but they don't know that. They just want to be happy so making them happy seems like a noble pursuit and at least it cures the boredom.

May work for you.

Edited by Sajman

I was bored until I had a few kids. I don't recommend this as a solution I'm just making an observation about my own life. I've got 3 kids and I'm NEVER EVER bored. Like ever.

Given the possible alternative of eternal oblivion, I'm willing to try it out. Besides, 21 is nothing. I could be given a thousand years and not have enough time to enjoy all the splendors of the world I've yet to discover.

You need a hobby. I like books. Not every book I read is great, but every few books I'll find one that makes me supremely happy. I've had a small experience with traveling and found it very exciting. I can't wait to traverse the planet a little more before I die. I also like mysteries. Solving problems that are elusive to most also gets me excited. Helping people is not as exciting as the other things I mentioned, but it does produce a sort of "purposeful" feeling that isn't bad a well.

So, I think you need to try more hobbies. If that doesn't work, it could possibly be an issue with your brain chemistry that needs corrected. After all, not being able to find enjoyment in much is a symptom of maligned brain chemistry.

Hedonism is always the cause of miserable sorts. When you seek pleasure with no meaning, all life becomes meaningless. Only pleasure derived from meaning can sustain someone for long. Your body is programmed right now to think that anything worth moving a finger for that doesn't bring instantaneous pleasure is just not worth it.

You'll have to break the hazy, lazy grip of hedonism if you ever wish to recover. Or get some psychiatric assistance. You'll find many like you on this forum. They think their life devoted to drugs and mindless pleasure makes them special, when we all know they are secretly miserable on the inside. Do you want to be a stereotype?

Edited by EchoFlame

Through the lens of your boring mind, yes, life is boring. You're not really experiencing life if you see it as boring. You probably tell yourself you experience it, but in reality ignore/hide from it, and spend most time in your mind, which is dull.

I agree completely.

853.gif

Edited by Ghoster

That will just make it worse. That is a way to dull the pain, not fix it. Hedonists need to stop being complacent with just medicating the symptoms, and fix the problem. I doubt many ever become aware of that. Or maybe they are and choose to be miserable.

Edited by EchoFlame

That will just make it worse. Mark my words.

For you, maybe. Case-by-case thing. I know people in their 60's who have been smoking their whole lives and they're just cruising right through.

21 years of existence has not changed that fact. What could 20, 40, 60 more years change?

Well, for starters, you've only just begun to start taking control of your life at that age.

Before you say new experiences....

Even new experiences are boring. What could 20, 40, 60 more years of new experience change?

You've been having low-level (read: shitty) new experiences.

I've always been a fervent utopist. But... what could a utopia change?

You could wish in one and and shit in the other and one hand will fill up first. Instead of fantasizing about utopia why not try and make it?

I haven't slept much in the last few days... But my mind seems the more clearer now. What could sleep change?

I could post a LMGTFY link but I don't actually dislike you that much.

Over half of my waking existence has been me personifying hedonism. What could more pleasure seeking change?

Check out Maslow's Hierarchy. Note that pleasure is not exactly part of it.

You keep trying to generalize this assertion. Would it make you feel better if everyone agreed with you? What if I tell you that only your life is boring and it's your own fault?

For you, maybe. Case-by-case thing. I know people in their 60's who have been smoking their whole lives and they're just cruising right through.

Yeah, "cruising" is exactly the right word for it and sounds like the problem presented in the original post. Does OP want to "cruise" through life or live it?

That will just make it worse. That is a way to dull the pain, not fix it. Hedonists need to stop being complacent with just medicating the symptoms, and fix the problem. I doubt many ever become aware of that. Or maybe they are and choose to be miserable.
Edited by EchoFlame

I know people in their 60's who have been smoking their whole lives and they're just cruising right through.

In other words, people who couldn't cope with life and took the easy way out.

Sounds like your concept of all experiences being essentially the same in their ability to stimulate is allowing you to justify your terror and avoidance of them.

Comfort is boring you PTD, sell all your stuff, give me all your money, and live on with the excitement of starting from scratch.

If you see in the news about Mr. Dent being robbed after a recent inheritance, it wasn't me.

Edited by Tahiti

After a good night's sleep my mind has alas once again become muddied. I look forward to respond to this thread once I become lucid once more.

I don't have the time to be bored. I'm envious.

I've always been a fervent utopist

Hey, you got it ! Your life is a utopia ! And in case you never dug into what that means, before, it means <boring> ! You are soooooo lucky and don't even realize it.

Seriously.

Hey, you got it ! Your life is a utopia ! And in case you never dug into what that means, before, it means <boring> ! You are soooooo lucky and don't even realize it.

Seriously.

Yip, what mankind has strived for. No struggle easy life, no having to put out effort to think. But then what. Obesity, mental vacuity and threads like these.

Practically speaking, this is how I see it.

One day, you will die. Between then and now, is a period of time which we might call "the rest of your life".

You could live out the rest of your life in, broadly speaking, two possible ways:

(1) in a boring way

(2) in a non-boring way (eg interesting, enjoyable or meaningful to yourself).

Which is better for yourself, (1) or (2)? The answer is obvious. (2) is better.

So now we know what is the logical objective. Then the next question is whether you can achieve it. If you can, well, that's good for you. If you can't, well, you have failed yourself.

If life is boring for you Youngblood, you ain't doing it right...

do something different.

Dude...turn the frequency around in your life.

You sound disenchanted with the world and the many charms it harbours.

Instead of an endless feast of hedonisim, excuse yourself from the table of quick f*cks.

Give yourself permission to love someone or something so you can be happy.

TRY.

Blessings...regardless.

Part of the fun of life is examining it. There is so much chaos, weirdness, and odd things we've accepted as normal. We are single specs in a giant black void known as space surrounded by a bunch of space stuff. Even though we're so small, there is so much stuff to think about. Thoughts about life to comment on. The human condition, paradoxes, why certain people become popular. The best part is life is so nebulous you can spend hours thinking about a single aspect and still have so much to do.

If you have the time, I'd suggest maybe reading the Discworld series by Terry Prachet, specifically his death novels. Some humor might spice up your life!