Welcome to INTJ Forum

This is a community where INTJs can meet others with similar personalities and discuss a wide variety of both serious and casual topics. If you aren't an INTJ, you're welcome to join anyway if you would like to learn more about this personality type or participate in our discussions. Registration is free and will allow you to post messages, see hidden subforums, customize your account and use other features only available to our members.

AOA

INTJf weight loss club!

1,793 posts in this topic
7 minutes ago, INTJoe said:

If you're benching at least twice a week, doing 3x5 (with a good warmup from warmupreps.com), and increasing your workset 5lb. each session (unless you fail - then repeat same weight next session), you'll be 1RMing (1 Rep Max) your body weight inside 4-6 months. It's just a matter of doing it.

Do you have a thyroid condition? It's crazy that you are running half-marathons, lifting weights, eating reasonably well (??) and are stuck at 5'10" 220 for months. You have to eat a lot of food just to maintain that weight.

El Cas hasn't done nearly all the extra work you have but keeps getting smaller. I'm honestly curious if you have something else going on.

My weight: 188.7.

Actually I'm 6' 220 lbs.   It seems like I'm swimming in a rip tide with all the effort I'm putting and not losing weight.  But at the moment, I'm not too concerned because I feel pretty good.  I've never hit the weight room as hard as I have been lately.

My running load is at around 20-25 miles/week.  Once I hit 30-35 miles/week, the weight will come down pretty quickly.  Part of the battle could be the increase in my muscle mass as I pretty much started hitting weights hard about a month ago.  I'm happy that my weight fluctuations aren't as wide. 

For awhile my weight was fluctuating from 216 to 225; lately, the fluctuation has been 219-223.  After our long run last Sunday, I ate half a pizza with another 1/4 lb of ground bison beef on it (lol). I doubt that helped my cause.

If I avoid pizza, I'm certain to be at 218 by next Monday.  

Just need keep at it.  My long distance mileage on Sundays will gradually ramp up to:

May 28: 16 miles

June 4: 13 miles

June 11: 18 miles

June 18:  13 miles

June 25: 20 miles

July 2: 13 miles

July 9: 22 miles

If I'm not at least 215lbs by July 9th, I'll be a bit annoyed.  lol.

Your muscle mass gain is basically negligible right now. Either you have a thyroid condition or you aren't tracking your calories at all. lol.

My fattest was 6'0" 223 in 2014 and I would eat entire bags of hot fries or cashews in a sitting, drink heavy beer everyday, eat ice cream...basically eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and I wasn't even going above 223. And I wasn't exercising at all. And wasn't even working. It's embarrassing to type it out but I'm giving context.

I know everyone's metabolism is a little different but something just isn't adding up at all in your battle of 220.

I think if you either get your thyroid checked or start tracking your calories you'll find the culprit. And win not only the battle but also the war.

Before sleep. Did some push ups (22+15+19=56) Fuck it was aiming for 60 push ups.

Did my 100 kicks routine and some stretches. Gonna do some dumbell exercises. I found this interesting video for triceps exercises with dumbbells. 5 dumbbell exercises for triceps

Also exercises my hands with those squeez things so I can improve my grip when doing pull ups on a bar. My grip is not good enough for my body weight. I have four squeez things for my grip. One very hard, one with medium strenght and one with very light strenght. Also one for single finger squeez sort of like on a trumpet. I start  with the hardest and go to the easiest until I cant move my fingers.

Ok small edit did extra 10 push ups to go above 60.

Edit did some crunches and short workout with abwheel. Did 20 leg raises. Sort of tired now.

Tomorrow Ill see what I can do in the morning.

Edited by Cacao

Those grip squeeze things are pretty legit. And they work the shit out of your forearms (which most gym bros totally neglect). I think I started with a 60lb. grip then got to 100lb. after a while.

The great thing is your forearms recover easily/quickly so you can hit them really hard after a workout and they'll be in great shape the next day.

1 hour ago, INTJoe said:

Your muscle mass gain is basically negligible right now. Either you have a thyroid condition or you aren't tracking your calories at all. lol.

My fattest was 6'0" 223 in 2014 and I would eat entire bags of hot fries or cashews in a sitting, drink heavy beer everyday, eat ice cream...basically eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and I wasn't even going above 223. And I wasn't exercising at all. And wasn't even working. It's embarrassing to type it out but I'm giving context.

I know everyone's metabolism is a little different but something just isn't adding up at all in your battle of 220.

I think if you either get your thyroid checked or start tracking your calories you'll find the culprit. And win not only the battle but also the war.

I think it's my portions since I'm not eating under a program.  Let's track everyday for a few weeks (12 days) and see if that jump starts me.

Starting now.

Breakfast:

4 oz of 2% lactose free milk and 4 ounces of raisin bran and 1 oz of flaxseed; 2 cups of coffee (black)

Did not hydrate at all  (need to up my H20 intake)

Snack 1:

apple; still no fluids.

Lunch: 

1 fried egg (olive oil); 4 strips of bacon; 3 ounces of smoked salmon; 1 avocado, salad with tomato, mushrooms, spinach, in an olive oil, sesame oil, balsamic vinegar dressing with black berries a few sunflower seeds and other "healthy stuff" (like olives, shredded carrots, red onions....)

Snack 2:

Banana

Dinner:

To be determined...

Dessert: let's drop the ice cream drumstick (a whopping 275 calories) for a pear and almond butter (150 calories)

Update:

Just did a calorie counter log and not including dinner or dessert, I'm already at around 1,500 Calories.  I will get a 700 calorie burn from my expected 5 mile run so I don't have all the much of a margin of error if I lose track of snacking.

Also, just weighed myself now, after lunch and I'm at 222 lbs.  Gonna start hydrating like a Lion at a withering water hole.

Edited by ENFPEACE

On 5/23/2017 at 6:07 PM, El Cas said:

Yesterday's weight: 209.8 lbs
Today's: ?? (woke up late)

Started working at my job location this week and I discovered that the gym here has actual free weights. I will start bringing in my workout close and get back into lifting (Squat, Deadlift and Bench). Hopefully this will help me get down to 200 or less quicker or at the very least convert some of this remaining fat into muscle.

I am at 209.8 6'3" here. I've been struggling for the last couple weeks. Going to start taking Conjugated Linoeic Acid and EGCG 3x a day along with Alpha Lipoic Acid. I've been in ketosis for about 2-3 months now.

3 eggs, 1 shake with 1 scoop protein powder, 3 scoops MCT powder (7:00AM)
45g fat, 45 g protein, 700 calories
Chicken or tuna or shrimp spinach salad with avocado, 2 cucumbers (1PM)
25g fat, 20g protein, 5g carb, 350 calories
Chicken or tuna or shrimp spinach salad with avocado (4-5:30PM)
25g fat 20g protein, 350 calories
2 cucumbers or hot peppers snack at night (6PM)
5g carb
Tuna or shrimp as snack at night (7:30PM)
20g protein, 100 calories

Totals:
115g fat, 105g protein, 10g carb, 1400 calories (30% caloric deficit)

Sometimes I substitute beef or broccoli for veggies. I drink zero-calorie soda like Fresca/Pepsi Max/Sprite Zero. Very little hunger overall. I am anxious to lose weight as quickly as possible so I can start carb backloading and get back to normal lifting. Right now I feel very weak in general.

gestalt, you're probably starving. Eat more and you'll start losing again.

A 6'3" 210 adult male mammal eating 1,400 calories a day is just way too little. That's also much more than a 30% deficit. That's why you feel very weak in general.

Edited by INTJoe

I could very well bump up my calories so I'm running a 20% deficit instead of 30. Maybe two slices of cheese and some salami, or some dressing on the salads.

2 hours ago, ENFPEACE said:

Update:

Just did a calorie counter log and not including dinner or dessert, I'm already at around 1,500 Calories.  I will get a 700 calorie burn from my expected 5 mile run so I don't have all the much of a margin of error if I lose track of snacking.

This still doesn't make sense. Unless you're eating the Ol' 96er from Summer Rental every night for dinner. You're at 1,500 calories less a 700 burn so 800 calories prior to dinner? And you're not losing weight at 6'0" 220?

...... added to this post 1 minute later:

5 minutes ago, gestalt said:

I could very well bump up my calories so I'm running a 20% deficit instead of 30. Maybe two slices of cheese and some salami, or some dressing on the salads.

How long have you been stuck at 210? Are you burning calories doing other things (exercise, etc.)?

Edited by INTJoe

Well I've been keeping track for about 3 weeks and in my second week I was at 209.6 but oscillating in the 213/212 range. This third week I've been hitting about 210 all week long. So not that long. I think I was as high as 220 but I crash-dieted on oysters down to about 213, which was retarded... I wasn't really aware of macros for a while.

Two things that seem to make a big difference are water and bowel movements.

Yes I usually run 3 mi and workout with compound exercises MT-THF. I'll skip/rest on W,SA,SU but still eat at deficit like I do the other days.

Edited by gestalt

Yeah if you crash dieted then you're probably starving. If you're 6'3" 210 and running and doing compound lifts 4 days a week you can probably add like a thousand calories a day and get out of starvation mode. Your maintenance is well over 2,000 calories btw.

2 hours ago, INTJoe said:

This still doesn't make sense. Unless you're eating the Ol' 96er from Summer Rental every night for dinner. You're at 1,500 calories less a 700 burn so 800 calories prior to dinner? And you're not losing weight at 6'0" 220?

Back from my 5 mile run (at an 8:50 min/mile pace).  Well this is my first day of tracking calories since I hit this plateau so I can't come the same conclusion as you based on a single day worth of data.

So maybe I've been eating more than I realize.  Sadly we shall never know for certain because of the lack of data.

I will say unequivocally that my diet hasn't been anywhere near what you ate back in your fatty days so I'm going to partially conclude that you probably have a higher metabolism than me.

One thing I know for certain is my 221 compared to your 221 is probably fluffier since you have had a more discipline weight room routine over time.

I've always been "skinny fat" all my life.  I'm defining that as not being able to bench press my own weight.

Let's try two weeks of data and I will do as you previously suggested which is daily (not weekly as I proposed) accountability.

Hopefully, that'll be the ticket to winning this war.

1 hour ago, ENFPEACE said:

I've always been "skinny fat" all my life.  I'm defining that as not being able to bench press my own weight.

Let's try two weeks of data and I will do as you previously suggested which is daily (not weekly as I proposed) accountability.

Skinny-fat is when your BMI is normal or low but you have little muscle and more fat than people realize. 

Not being able to max your weight on bench doesn't really mean anything.

Yes, 2 weeks of daily data and posting and you'll learn enough to be on track to weigh 200 by early-mid August!!

Progress report:

5/24: 208.8 lbs
5/25: 208.8 lbs
5/26: 209.0 lbs (change for the  week: + 5.2 lbs)

I have not been watching how much I this week (which it shows by the gain) and this mild depression I have been dealing with has not help either. Hopefully I can get out of this funk soon so I can focus on this last milestone.

As for workout, My body was "kind" to remind me that I need to restore all the progress I had made.

Squats:
10x106 lbs (I was feeling good while doing the set but my hamstrings told me "The fuck's wrong with you" after the set so I had to go down in weight)
4x10x96 lbs

Deadlift:
5x136lbs
2x6x136lbs
2x5x156lbs

Bench:
10x95 lbs
2x10x105 lbs
2x10x115 lbs

So basically I lost 33.79% strength on Squats, 38.34% on Deadlifts and 30.30% on Bench. 1/3 of strength loss is not bad considering that I haven't done any lifting for 10 months. Now to focus and get it back and then some.

Edited by El Cas

12 hours ago, INTJoe said:

Skinny-fat is when your BMI is normal or low but you have little muscle and more fat than people realize. 

Not being able to max your weight on bench doesn't really mean anything.

Yes, 2 weeks of daily data and posting and you'll learn enough to be on track to weigh 200 by early-mid August!!

Yeah, I'm that skinny fat too.  Well, when I was skinny.

So yesterday's data surprised me.  I missed a nectarine at breakfast and a couple of bites of beef jerky I shoved in my mouth behind my back and total calories consumed yesterday was 2,446.  Less the 800 calories from my 5 mile run and that puts me at around a 1,650 calories net.

In terms of protein, fat, carb disbursement, only 75 grams were attributed to Protein.  So that's a possible red flag.  Though on non-weight room running days, I prefer a diet with higher carbs and some protein.  Today's a weight room/running day so I'm gonna have to ramp up proteins two fold.

This morning, I was already 2 lbs lighter.  So I must have been subconciously binging on food or eating too extemperaneously.

I guess while the conscience is away, the psychosis shall play.

Gonna need to put a muzzle on that mouth of mine.

Today's Diet Batting Line up:

Batting Lead-off for Breakfast:  

2 eggs fried in olive oil with a dash of salt and pepper, 1/4 cup of mashed yukon gold potato (no butter), 1/2 cup of ground beef, 1/8 cup of peas, 1/8 cup of carrots, 1/8 cup of white 'shrooms with a 8 oz cup of coffee (black).

Total estimated calories: 620.

Post breakfast weight: 221 lbs.

On Deck:

a medium sized banana.

Lunch:

lots of protein

Snack:

Apple

Excercise:

45 minutes of weights, and 3.5 miles of light running

Post weight room snack:

a protein bar of some sort.

Dinner:

TBD

Post dinner dessert:

Drumstick? (310 calories....hmmm, maybe not)

Hey Joe,

In your opinion, about how many calories would you say is burnt during an honest all out 45 minute weight room session. assuming 2-3 minutes of resting in between sets?

Is 500 about right? (probably not, looks more like 200-300)

Edited by ENFPEACE
added question to INTJoe

2,446 is probably a good number for you right now. The key is eating at a good deficit yet not really feeling hunger more than 1-3 times a week.

No drumstick! Lol. My dessert goes from a Dairy Queen blizzard while bulking to a Chobani Greek yogurt with 12 raw almonds tossed in. You'll learn to enjoy this dessert, too. Lol.

My weight: 188.3. -6.5 this "month" with a few days left. It's definitely getting tougher now. Same as last year. I think I could fit in 32 waist jeans now.

Edited by INTJoe

I purchased a 53lbs kettlebell recently. This thing can burn 400 calories in 20 minutes. I highly suggest you get one. Well, if you're not in shape at all you should obviously start with a smaller one. You can do the research yourselves. But it's a good investment.

Edited by SarcasticVlad

Weight: 187.4

March 28-April 28: -7.5lb. (202.3 to 194.8)

April 28-May 28: -7.4lb. (194.8 to 187.4)

Neck still bothersome and I'm not lifting so I'm getting skinnyweak :( I think I'll go get it X-ray'd this week.

-14.9lb. in 2 months is pretty sweet*. I doubt I'll go below 180.

*Last year in 2 months I lost 20 but also started at 208 and also triggered starvation.

Edited by INTJoe